Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much did the move cost you?

How much did the move cost you?

Old Oct 1st 2007, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

RachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really nice
Default How much did the move cost you?

I am sure this has probably been done before - but my searches arent yielding anything!

I was wondering how much your emigration move cost you - in terms of shipping your house contents, buying new cars, buying new white goods/furniture etc when you got there, renting short term accommodation when you arrived - and did you spend what you budgeted or was it in fact more or less?

Ta in advance!
Old Oct 1st 2007, 7:32 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much did the move cost you?

Hi Rach

This is a subject that is sure to make me feel ill

We don't have a great deal of equity in our house and at least half of it is financing the move. We must be mad

If house prices crash we're stuffed
Old Oct 1st 2007, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

Good thread. Will be watching this one with a lot of interest!!
Old Oct 1st 2007, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

RachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really nice

its probably a bit early for the Aussie crew to be online - will try to keep this bumped!!
Old Oct 1st 2007, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Tracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to all

So far its cost us near on £6k - that includes shippers, pet transfers and flights, oh and two weeks rental on landing. We are taking everything with us, except oven, fridge and freezer. I have no idea what it will cost us at the other end, but I will say that we have been quite lucky, as we did get a fair bit of equity on our house, plus we had a bit of savings to help finance the whole thing. I know not everyone will be as lucky

Haven't really set a budget, but have set a limit on how much we can afford to spend on cars, rent, food etc.

Have no idea if that helps, as I suppose everyone's costs varies. We only have a shared container, the flights were a good deal. I can imagine the costs could go alot higher if you have a full container, and more than our two flights to pay for.

Tracey
Old Oct 1st 2007, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

cheers Tracy - all replies helpful!!
Old Oct 1st 2007, 8:47 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RachelH
I am sure this has probably been done before - but my searches arent yielding anything!

I was wondering how much your emigration move cost you - in terms of shipping your house contents, buying new cars, buying new white goods/furniture etc when you got there, renting short term accommodation when you arrived - and did you spend what you budgeted or was it in fact more or less?

Ta in advance!
We've been here 4 weeks now. Came with just under £10K and the shirts on our backs. Brought nothing from home. Had a hire car for 3 weeks and a couple of weeks in a chalet on a campsite.

We are now settled in rental with 3 months rent paid up. 2 cars, all the furniture we need (for now) the spare room can wait. Are signed up for all utilities and have had enough money to get out and about to do and see stuff. C is working already (secured before departure) and I have interviews lined up.

You don't need to bring a fortune with you - trust us! We could have done it with less!
Old Oct 1st 2007, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
We've been here 4 weeks now. Came with just under £10K and the shirts on our backs. Brought nothing from home. Had a hire car for 3 weeks and a couple of weeks in a chalet on a campsite.

We are now settled in rental with 3 months rent paid up. 2 cars, all the furniture we need (for now) the spare room can wait. Are signed up for all utilities and have had enough money to get out and about to do and see stuff. C is working already (secured before departure) and I have interviews lined up.

You don't need to bring a fortune with you - trust us! We could have done it with less!
nice one! Makes me feel more positive!
Old Oct 1st 2007, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Hel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tracey O
So far its cost us near on £6k - that includes shippers, pet transfers and flights, oh and two weeks rental on landing. We are taking everything with us, except oven, fridge and freezer. I have no idea what it will cost us at the other end, but I will say that we have been quite lucky, as we did get a fair bit of equity on our house, plus we had a bit of savings to help finance the whole thing. I know not everyone will be as lucky

Haven't really set a budget, but have set a limit on how much we can afford to spend on cars, rent, food etc.

Have no idea if that helps, as I suppose everyone's costs varies. We only have a shared container, the flights were a good deal. I can imagine the costs could go alot higher if you have a full container, and more than our two flights to pay for.

Tracey

Hi Tracey

shipping the dogs is costing more than you have spent already! House contents approx £4500, one way flight (via 10 days in South Africa) about another £6000, return flights to my sisters wedding next summer approx £3000 and the list goes on and on - scarey stuff

Helen
Old Oct 1st 2007, 8:57 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Ta in advance!
Airfare and some duty-free JD.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Airfare and some duty-free JD.
beauty - thats what we were hoping for - but the kids want to take their toys..........so thats a 20ft container.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 9:04 pm

beauty - thats what we were hoping for - but the kids want to take their toys..........so thats a 20ft container.
That's some collection

Most of my luggage allowance was taken up by my guitars ... now I share a house with 2 cranky women and ... yeh ... a shedload of toys ... still don't mind the JD though ... such is life!
Old Oct 1st 2007, 9:24 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

one way airfare - GBP 550
visas, medicals - GBP 800

not having work for approx 3months when I arrived -
a) rent - $130 per week
b) food & bills- $100 per week
c) ents - $200 per week
Total for 3month period.....approx $5k or $5,500.

Total cost = approx $8,500

I didn't have much to transport over here, as I was previously renting a room in a shared house in London...so shipping goods only cost approx $300.

On top of this, you would need to obviously add in the costs of buying new furniture and white goods on arrival.

So, all up, not a particularly expensive move for me..... but I can see how it could become very costly for e.g. a family with 2 kids over the age of 5, and with plenty of belongings that they were intent on bringing (furniture etc).

One thing I would say...make sure that you do shop around for things like flights and shipping.

"watch the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves" !!
Old Oct 1st 2007, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by markallwood
one way airfare - GBP 550
visas, medicals - GBP 800

not having work for approx 3months when I arrived -
a) rent - $130 per week
b) food & bills- $100 per week
c) ents - $200 per week
Total for 3month period.....approx $5k or $5,500.

Total cost = approx $8,500

I didn't have much to transport over here, as I was previously renting a room in a shared house in London...so shipping goods only cost approx $300.

On top of this, you would need to obviously add in the costs of buying new furniture and white goods on arrival.

So, all up, not a particularly expensive move for me..... but I can see how it could become very costly for e.g. a family with 2 kids over the age of 5, and with plenty of belongings that they were intent on bringing (furniture etc).

One thing I would say...make sure that you do shop around for things like flights and shipping.

"watch the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves" !!
Oh yeh, I forgot about the Visa costs and the medicals
Old Oct 1st 2007, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

somme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tracey O

Tracey
Who did your shipping and pet transfers we have been quoted 4K for dog and 3.5K for container

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.