Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Migraines and Medications.....

Migraines and Medications.....

Old Feb 19th 2007, 5:51 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Migraines and Medications.....

I am a migraine sufferer and currently take 'Syndol' tablets to ease an attack.
They are 'over the counter' tablets but seem to help better than any presciptions I've had before. Does anyone know if they are available in Australia? If they are not is there a limit to how many I would be able to bring in with me?
Also have any other sufferers noticed any difference in the frequency of attacks? Thanks...... C x
Old Feb 19th 2007, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Migraines and Medications.....

Originally Posted by shiels
They are 'over the counter' tablets but seem to help better than any presciptions I've had before. Does anyone know if they are available in Australia? If they are not is there a limit to how many I would be able to bring in with me?
Also have any other sufferers noticed any difference in the frequency of attacks? Thanks...... C x
Hello~ i am an australia. i haven't heard of them..but that isnt' to say they aren't available. i would do a google check of the name and put in australia.
australia does have good medications...i myself have suffered from severe headcahes in the past and took..over the counter medicatiosn that worked well....good luck!
Old Feb 19th 2007, 6:10 pm
Pam
Forum Regular

Pam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the rough

I had a really bad attack on our reccie trip last March, and I couldn't get anything worth taking from over the counter at all. The only thing they were able to recommend was aspirin and paracetamol together (which I think is Anadin here?). Anyway, I just ended up taking a double dose which is probably not recommended, but it did the trick eventually.
I actually take prescription tablets here, so I'll just have to stock up before we go!!
Old Feb 19th 2007, 8:14 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Shiels,

"Syndol" is called "Mersyndol" in Australia. If you google it, you can see for yourself that it contains exactly the same "stuff" as the UK version: Mersyndol contains codeine phosphate 9.75mg, paracetamol 450mg, doxylamine succinate 5mg.

There is also a stonger version: Mersyndol Forte: Paracetamol 450mg, Codeine phosphate 30mg, Doxylamine succinate 5mg.

However, if you suffer frequent migraine attacks then there are much better (prescription) medications! Syndol, whether the UK or the Oz version, contains codeine. Over time your body will become used to this, which means it'll lose its effectiveness and you'll then be tempted to take larger doses ... not good.

Have a look at the leaflets available at http://www.migraine.org.uk and then take yourself off to your GP and get something better as well as less harmful to yourself than codeine.

If your GP thinks migraines are just a bit of a headache and not worth bothering him with, you can now self-refer yourself to the London Migraine Clinic.

Gina

P.S. As a side note: if you have any over-the-counter or prescription drugs containing codeine with you when you fly to Oz you cannot have a stop-over in Dubai or Singapore (unless you want to be arrested) as codeine is on their list of prohibited/illegal substances. If you think I am kidding, do a search. One poor woman a couple of years ago spent 8 weeks chained to a wall in a jail in Dubai because she had codeine containing painkillers on her.

For Singapore, you can apply for a drug permit prior to a stop-over.- If you are just changing planes in Singapore, then it's o.k. as you then don't go through customs.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 6:28 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info...... ive added it to my list and will look into it further!!!! C x