fences

Old Feb 15th 2007, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

katiesel has a spectacular aura aboutkatiesel has a spectacular aura aboutkatiesel has a spectacular aura about
Default fences

Hi We have just bought a house next to any empy plot and we wont to put a fence up, apparently i need to get in touch with the owners of the plot and ask them to pay half. Has any one else done this?
Thanks Kate
Old Feb 15th 2007, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fences

Originally Posted by katiesel
Hi We have just bought a house next to any empy plot and we wont to put a fence up, apparently i need to get in touch with the owners of the plot and ask them to pay half. Has any one else done this?
Thanks Kate
Hi. I believe this is normal practice if you want to recoup some of the cost, although I would advise getting a couple of quotes beforehand. However, they may not be willing to pay until at least their house is started or that they have actually moved in, in case things don’t work out and they have to sell. We have a vacant block on either side of us, and they have both been resold since we’ve been there. We have put a fence up 3 sides of our place. We are not too fussed about recouping half the cost, but if our future neighbours offer, then all well and good.

The reason I say to get some quotes is that the bloke two doors up from us had a nasty experience last week. His neighbours put in a retaining wall separating the two boundaries, and approached this bloke to see if he would contribute to the cost, bearing in mind, the retaining wall has nothing to do with him, as it was their property that needed to be retained. Anyway, he said he would pay $500 to $600, just to keep the peace if nothing else and they verbally agreed to this, and they ended up presenting him with a bill for $1,600.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 4:45 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Kate
Yes, but get a quote first and get the owner of the plot to agree to it first. In fact get three and show them all - obvously the lowest one you'll probably end up with.

If nothing else you can speak to them and say that you would like a colorbond fence rather than wood (its actually the same price as a lapped and capped wooden effort and will last years) and wondered if they would like to help you choose the colour to stop clashing with what they had in mind. That way you get off on the right foot.

We own another block of land and have just paid some neighbours the half share of one side. The other side was a building compay who were building to rent so we told them to get lost and they could put up anything they wanted, so didnt cost us as they had to put one up anyhow. Cheeky but worked.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 5:07 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Kate
yep I have done it....I got 2 quotes for the fences, phone the council and they will give you the contact details for the plot owners. Write to them including the quotes and ask then to let you know if this is acceptable. Once they reply you need to give them a few weeks, you instruct the work to be carried out, you pay the bill send it to the other owners who reimburse you thier half
Old Feb 15th 2007, 5:19 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

We fenced all of one side and half of the other (the other half of that one was already done) in the same style as the half already done (if that's not too convoluted!).

I got a quote from the original fencer for the whole lot, pro-rated each side and halved each of those figures: each neighbour said he had no objection and gave me a cheque for his half.

The only caveats are (in NSW) that you have to be reasonable about the type of fence - in other words it has to be in keeping: if all the local ones are chicken wire you can't demand payment for double brick - and you have no claim if the council owns the other side!
Old Feb 19th 2007, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

katiesel has a spectacular aura aboutkatiesel has a spectacular aura aboutkatiesel has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the advice chaps, will get the quotes and cross my fingers, that my future neighbours are reasonable. Kate
Old Feb 20th 2007, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
We fenced all of one side and half of the other (the other half of that one was already done) in the same style as the half already done (if that's not too convoluted!).
I had a similar experience.

I fenced all of half a side and one-eighth of the other (the other seven eights of that one was already done) in the same style as the half not already done but started only partway.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 6:52 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I had a similar experience.

I fenced all of half a side and one-eighth of the other (the other seven eights of that one was already done) in the same style as the half not already done but started only partway.
Convoluted in spades! <g>