Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Update - New Citizenship Residence Requirement

Update - New Citizenship Residence Requirement

Old Mar 12th 2007, 12:00 pm
>40
Forum Regular

>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all
Default Re: Update - New Citizenship Residence Requirement

Originally Posted by ghanghro
I was wondering if its clear now what will happen with those people who are here on 457 and they are granted PR ?
As the new citizenship legislation requires 4 years lawful presence and 12 months presence as permanent resident immediately before application, you will be able to count up to three years time on a 457 or any other non-permanent visa as long as it is more or less directly followed by enough time as permanent resident. Please read the new Bill for full details.

Last edited by >40; Mar 12th 2007 at 12:07 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 10:02 pm
>40
Forum Regular

>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by >40
Please note that the residence requirements in the new Citizenship Bill are different not only in numbers but also in structure. The time periods specified (4 years lawful presence and 12 months presence as permanent resident) concern time "immediately before the day the person made the application" [Australian Citizenship Bill 2006, section 22 (1)]. During these time periods, you are allowed to be absent from Australia for a total of not more than 12 months during the four years, but not more than 3 months in the last 12 months.
Alternatively, presenting the new residence requirements in the structure of the current Act would amount to the following:
- Present in Australia as permanent resident for at least 9 months during the period of 12 months before applying.
- Lawfully present in Australia for at least 3 years during the period of 4 years before applying.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 3:17 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by >40
Alternatively, presenting the new residence requirements in the structure of the current Act would amount to the following:
- Present in Australia as permanent resident for at least 9 months during the period of 12 months before applying.
- Lawfully present in Australia for at least 3 years during the period of 4 years before applying.
It's: 4 years with one year's absence tolerated,
rather than: 3 years out of 4.

In effect, the new Act obliges applicants to wait for 4 years from the day they arrive in Australia rather than simply 3 years.

Peter
Old Mar 13th 2007, 10:08 am
>40
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ptlabs
In effect, the new Act obliges applicants to wait for 4 years from the day they arrive in Australia rather than simply 3 years.
Good point Peter, thanks. This again proves the neccessity of careful interpretation before arriving at conclusions about the effects of the new legislation!

As an example, the new residence requirement does seem to cover the case of a person granted an offshore permanent visa, who travels to Australia for a week to validate, goes back "home" for a year, then returns to settle in Australia, and finally applies for citizenship in the last week before three continuous years (without any trips abroad) has passed since settling. Of course, when stretching things like that, a single day's difference can result in the requirement no longer being satisfied, so it is definitely nothing to encourage.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 10:47 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by >40
Good point Peter, thanks. This again proves the neccessity of careful interpretation before arriving at conclusions about the effects of the new legislation!
I have mentioned before that the actual wording of the new Act can mean a world of difference for people planning to test the limits of any new regime.

Over-simplification of the new Act may sometimes be inaccurate

Peter
Old Mar 14th 2007, 2:57 am
Just Joined

northshorepom is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay - just finished reading this and I am now very confused.

I arrived in Australia in January 2004 on a student visa, and have been in Australia since then. In July 05 I was granted a spouse visa and my 2nd anniversary of the application (and grant) date is 5th July 07.

Does this mean that under the new rules I would become eligible for citizenship on 5th July 08? If so, I hope they don't grant my PR earlier than 1st July!
Old Mar 14th 2007, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

Wade Wrench is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Geoff Spilman
Never mind Tracey.....
Looks like I'll be bookin flights for June!
So I guess that means you intend to be physically in Australia on 1 July 07? Are you travelling on a return ticket or planning to settle before 1 July?
Old Mar 14th 2007, 4:23 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northshorepom
I arrived in Australia in January 2004 on a student visa, and have been in Australia since then. In July 05 I was granted a spouse visa and my 2nd anniversary of the application (and grant) date is 5th July 07.

Does this mean that under the new rules I would become eligible for citizenship on 5th July 08? If so, I hope they don't grant my PR earlier than 1st July!
It appears that in your case you may qualify for citizenship more quickly under the new rules compared to the old. However the law doesn't allow you to "select" - it's all based on when you get PR, unless DIAC choose to apply policy favorably in special cases.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 10:06 am
>40
Forum Regular

Default Australian Citizenship Act 2007

FYI: On March 15, the new citizenship bills were assented to by the Governor-General and thus passed their final stage to becoming Acts. After a second name change, their final names will be Australian Citizenship Act 2007 and Australian Citizenship (Transitionals and Consequentials) Act 2007.

I have yet to see the expected commencement date of July 1 officially confirmed.

Source: http://www.aph.gov.au/parlinfo/billsnet/blist.pdf (accessed March 20)
Old Mar 21st 2007, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

Mikail has a brilliant futureMikail has a brilliant futureMikail has a brilliant futureMikail has a brilliant futureMikail has a brilliant futureMikail has a brilliant futureMikail has a brilliant future

I have my PCC and medical requested by the COon 10 March 2007. I have sent my medical and will be sending my PCC next week when ready. I hope to get the PR approval by end May(God's willing). We are shooting to do our landing before 1 July 2007 before the new Citizenship legislation kicks.
Just one question. If we get our PR stamp on the passport but land after 1 July 2007, what will be our status?

Many thanks.
Mikail
Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:47 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikail
Just one question. If we get our PR stamp on the passport but land after 1 July 2007, what will be our status?
Strongly recommended to read the thread in full.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:55 am
>40
Forum Regular

Default Official act available

FYI: As from today, the official text of the Australian Citizenship Act 2007 is available from ComLaw: http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legi...2?OpenDocument. The commencement date of the main sections is not (yet) specified in the act itself, but will be fixed by proclamation. Principally, the commencement date can be anytime in the period between date of assent (March 15) and six months thereafter.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Official act available

Originally Posted by >40
FYI: As from today, the official text of the Australian Citizenship Act 2007 is available from ComLaw: http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legi...2?OpenDocument. The commencement date of the main sections is not (yet) specified in the act itself, but will be fixed by proclamation. Principally, the commencement date can be anytime in the period between date of assent (March 15) and six months thereafter.
Fingers crossed for the 6 months because then i will just make it!
Old Mar 21st 2007, 10:27 am
JAJ
Retired

Default Re: Official act available

Originally Posted by >40
Principally, the commencement date can be anytime in the period between date of assent (March 15) and six months thereafter.
It's 99% certain to be 1 July.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 1:33 pm
Tessa Steven

tessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Update on the new citizenship residence requirement:

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/law-an...irementsQA.htm

Highlights are:

- FOUR years lawful residence in Australia immediately preceding the application
- absences of up to 12 months in total will be allowed, with no more than a total of 3 months in the final year
- at least ONE year of the four years must be as a permanent residence. (in other words up to THREE years temporary residence can count).

It seems that current permanent residents will be exempted:

"The new residence requirements will apply to people who become permanent residents on or after commencement of the legislation. Current permanent residents will not be affected by these changes."

Commencement day for the new laws is still scheduled to be 26 January 2007.
I thought the new rules only came into play when parliament vote it in. This hasnt happened yet

Tessa Steven
livingdownunder - Australian Reality DVD's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.