Changing Plugs

Old Feb 6th 2006, 8:47 pm
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice
Default Changing Plugs

Our stuff arrived yesterday and I had to go out to bunnings to get a load of plugs for our electrical stuff

The guy in bunnings told me that it was against the law to change the plugs myself and that i needed to get a certified electrician in to do it ..

He also told me that if someone died from electric shock in my house i would be done for MURDER!! :scared:

They were still happing to sell me the plugs ...

Was he talking crap? I've done it anyway
Old Feb 6th 2006, 8:49 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing Plugs

Unfortunately, he's not talking kr*p! Do a search on plugs or electrics, its been discussed many times, and its one of those Aussie red tape issues that amazes us Brits every time
Old Feb 6th 2006, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cam_uk
Our stuff arrived yesterday and I had to go out to bunnings to get a load of plugs for our electrical stuff

The guy in bunnings told me that it was against the law to change the plugs myself and that i needed to get a certified electrician in to do it ..

He also told me that if someone died from electric shock in my house i would be done for MURDER!! :scared:

Surely he's not suggesting you hire an electrician to do it. Fraser did all of ours when our stuff got here. I do think they go over the top with all their rules and regs. For god sake I was taught in school at 15 how to change a plug.
Old Feb 6th 2006, 9:10 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

I knew this but still went ahead and changed all our plugs with ones bought from Bunnings and similar places.
What gets me about this law is that unless someone tells you, you are non the wiser. There is no sign next to the plugs telling you this, the packaging doesn't stipulate who is allowed to follow the difficult steps, nor does the checkout operator check your electricians certificates before selling them to you.
Yes, my ignorance is bliss.
Old Feb 6th 2006, 9:13 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot believe that any of you would do anything so dangerous and complicated as changing a plug!

I suppose some of you would even change a lightbulb instead of calling in a professional?
Old Feb 6th 2006, 9:14 pm
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice

Originally Posted by gedge
Yes, my ignorance is bliss.
mine too ...

I've been changing plugs all my life so i feel qualified to do it safely
Old Feb 6th 2006, 9:15 pm
birmingham to brisbane

Originally Posted by Wol
I suppose some of you would even change a lightbulb instead of calling in a professional?
yeah he mentioned that we weren't supposed to do that either .. i actually laughed at this point!!!
Old Feb 6th 2006, 9:16 pm

yeah he mentioned that we weren't supposed to do that either .. i actually laughed at this point!!!
I'm looking for a sparky to come and switch our kettle on.
Old Feb 6th 2006, 9:26 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

mine too ...

I've been changing plugs all my life so i feel qualified to do it safely

............and me to! At the last count, it was 26 here!!

I've heard that the "solid" white and black versions are no longer "legal" (although they are still on Bunnings shelves!) and that the "clear plastic see through" ones are to be used.

Either you think they look all hi-tech or, like me, you reckon they are naff - the choice is yours.

Jim
Old Feb 6th 2006, 9:29 pm
Avoiding Plates

Gary&Family is just really niceGary&Family is just really niceGary&Family is just really niceGary&Family is just really niceGary&Family is just really niceGary&Family is just really niceGary&Family is just really niceGary&Family is just really nice

Originally Posted by gedge
I'm looking for a sparky to come and switch our kettle on.
Dumb question, if a disaster occured and you had to make an insurance claim, how would they actually know that you had changed them yourself, unless you told them ?

(not that I'm suggesting dishonesty of any kind)
Old Feb 6th 2006, 9:31 pm
birmingham to brisbane

Originally Posted by Gary&Family
Dumb question, if a disaster occured and you had to make an insurance claim, how would they actually know that you had changed them yourself, unless you told them ?

I'm guessing you'd get some king of certificate ... but it doesn't look like any of us would know
Old Feb 6th 2006, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Gary&Family

So if that heater you rewired burns down the house (hopefully not with you in it) you just say to the insurance bloke "Aw mate, I bought that bloody thing from a garage sale. Some pommie bastard that was moving back to the UK, selling all his stuff. Didn't know it was dodgy."
Old Feb 6th 2006, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing you'd get some king of certificate ... but it doesn't look like any of us would know

They go from one extreme to the other here, saying you can't change your own plugs but building new houses and putting plug sockets next to the sinks in the bathrooms as standard :scared:

We were shocked when we first started seeing this in houses we were looking around, especially with the children, too easy for an acident to happen. We even saw a house on realestate.com with a TV in the bathroom hanging over the bath :scared:
Old Feb 6th 2006, 10:24 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Not this old chestnut again I thought it had been agreed that it was ok to change plugs. You just can't start fiddling with fixed wiring. I believe the rules are the same in the UK now as well.
Old Feb 6th 2006, 10:48 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

This is an Aussie urban myth. You can change plugs yourself. I have a leaflet at home somewhere given to me by a work colleague who has his own electrical business. I'll try & find & scan it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.