Changing Plugs

Old Feb 6th 2006, 10:50 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing Plugs

Originally Posted by Gary&Family
Dumb question, if a disaster occured and you had to make an insurance claim, how would they actually know that you had changed them yourself, unless you told them ?

(not that I'm suggesting dishonesty of any kind)
Well, I got a friend of mine in Australia to send over 20 plugs to me in old Blighty where I changed them myself (or got my sparky brother to change them) that way they were done before I got into Australia as I thought customs would check this on entry of my container. Customs never questionned me about the electrical goods I imported so my point is proven. After all, wouldn't customs place a "changing plugs by yourself is illegal - you must appoint a certified electrician to do this" on all imported goods with non-Australian plugs?

PS: The law here is changing and plugs will soon no longer be allowed in bathrooms and will need to be at least 2 metres away from sinks and other water sources in other rooms. New house builds may well already be doing this.
Whilst Australia has strange extremes, UK is the opposite - you can totally rewire your house if you want to with absolutely no training at all. Again, this is changing in the UK and starting with commercial premises, all electrical wiring work must be carried out by a certified electrician coming soon!

Andrew
Old Feb 6th 2006, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Pickle has a spectacular aura aboutPickle has a spectacular aura aboutPickle has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Rachel1978
They go from one extreme to the other here, saying you can't change your own plugs but building new houses and putting plug sockets next to the sinks in the bathrooms as standard :scared:

We were shocked when we first started seeing this in houses we were looking around, especially with the children, too easy for an acident to happen. We even saw a house on realestate.com with a TV in the bathroom hanging over the bath :scared:
oh so rite.........i can't believe they put electrical sockets within easy reach of water, its just asking for trouble.
its murder trying to tell my partner not to sit in the bath playing the playstation.
Old Feb 6th 2006, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pickle
oh so rite.........i can't believe they put electrical sockets within easy reach of water, its just asking for trouble.
its murder trying to tell my partner not to sit in the bath playing the playstation.

And the light switches in the bathrooms arn't pull cord ones, just regular switches, also for the extractor fan, so easy to go to turn the fan off when you get out of the shower with wet hands, have forgotten and done it a couple of time now :scared:
Old Feb 6th 2006, 11:46 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Amazulu
This is an Aussie urban myth. You can change plugs yourself. I have a leaflet at home somewhere given to me by a work colleague who has his own electrical business. I'll try & find & scan it.
WA, where you are, is different. You ARE allowed to change your plugs over there, it's just the rest of the States that aren't

All houses are supposed to have to have a Safety Switch, (at least in QLD) so if you jump in the bath, with the TV aswell, you will trigger the auto cut off, and just disconnect the power, rather than damaging the TV with a power surge. (and of course yourself )

Old Feb 6th 2006, 11:59 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
WA, where you are, is different. You ARE allowed to change your plugs over there, it's just the rest of the States that aren't

All houses are supposed to have to have a Safety Switch, (at least in QLD) so if you jump in the bath, with the TV aswell, you will trigger the auto cut off, and just disconnect the power, rather than damaging the TV with a power surge. (and of course yourself )
It's an RCD or earth leakage as it's called in South Africa. Most countries require it's use now, although loads of older houses in the UK don't have it. Light switched in the bathroom are fine. This idea that you can get a shock if you touch them with wet hands goes back to the days when switches were made of brass & were badly insulated. Modern switches are so well insulated that you would basically have to spray it with a hosepipe to get it to short out. Again I have no problems with plugs next to the sink for the same reason, In fact it's quite handy to charge up the Braun toothbrush.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 12:02 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by cam_uk
I'm guessing you'd get some king of certificate ... but it doesn't look like any of us would know
Don't the sparkies put a tag on the plug?
Old Feb 7th 2006, 12:35 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Don't the sparkies put a tag on the plug?
Don't be so silly, you've got to get a certified plug tagger to do that
Old Feb 7th 2006, 12:37 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by gedge
Mate sorry, I should have known that.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 12:38 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

yeah he mentioned that we weren't supposed to do that either .. i actually laughed at this point!!!
I knew about the plugs, but a light bulb - that's a joke right?
Old Feb 7th 2006, 12:46 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by diddy
I knew about the plugs, but a light bulb - that's a joke right?
Yes, of course it is.......... I think ........... isn't it ?

Just off to google....................

Old Feb 7th 2006, 12:59 am
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Yes, of course it is.......... I think ........... isn't it ?

Just off to google....................
well the guy in bunnings said that we were not supposed to even change a lightbulb ... but i'm not sure how serious he was being ...
Old Feb 7th 2006, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

Gill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Gary&Family
Dumb question, if a disaster occured and you had to make an insurance claim, how would they actually know that you had changed them yourself, unless you told them ?

(not that I'm suggesting dishonesty of any kind)
We have changed all our plugs but my son in law got a friendly electrician to tag them. Thats how they know if you have changed them yourself, if equipment caused a fire and the plug is not tagged them they could argue that it was the plug that caused the problem and not the equipment.This would invalidate any household insurance. Is it worth the risk
Old Feb 7th 2006, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

Gill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by gedge
Just for your info YES leccies do have to tag the plug.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 1:06 am

well the guy in bunnings said that we were not supposed to even change a lightbulb ... but i'm not sure how serious he was being ...
nah that doesn't sound right at all

he might of said you weren't allowed to change a light globe
Old Feb 7th 2006, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by Gill C
Just for your info YES leccies do have to tag the plug.
you're a veritable mine of information
can you tell me why when I buy a kettle the plug doesn't have a tag on it?
also I'm interested to know how the insurance company would know that the plug on that kettle isn't the original one and that I'd naughtily changed it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.