Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Nice Commutable locations in Sydney

Nice Commutable locations in Sydney

Old Jul 21st 2005, 2:06 pm
Where's the bbq?

wandrews will become famous soon enoughwandrews will become famous soon enough
Default Nice Commutable locations in Sydney

I am looking for nice family type areas that are within commutable distance of the Sydney CBD?
Old Jul 21st 2005, 2:38 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nice Commutable locations in Sydney

Originally Posted by wandrews
I am looking for nice family type areas that are within commutable distance of the Sydney CBD?
How far is 'commutable'? The Epping and Hills District areas are worth a look, but these in the region of an hour's commute, plus a toll on the freeway and Bridge.

Jeremy
Old Jul 21st 2005, 2:43 pm
Where's the bbq?

Originally Posted by JAJ
How far is 'commutable'? The Epping and Hills District areas are worth a look, but these in the region of an hour's commute, plus a toll on the freeway and Bridge.

Jeremy
Within or upto 1 hours cummutable compares nicely to what I currently do in the UK.

What I am looking for is nice area, good schools,shops,beach if poss or short drive, etc, etc
Old Jul 21st 2005, 2:43 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

tell us the distance u think is fine, then we might be able to help ya
Old Jul 21st 2005, 2:46 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Within or upto 1 hours cummutable compares nicely to what I currently do in the UK.

What I am looking for is nice area, good schools,shops,beach if poss or short drive, etc, etc
could sit in a car every day for an hour
but that gives u plenty of scope.
what age are your kids? round about
what kind of lifestyle are u into?
Old Jul 21st 2005, 8:37 pm
Where's the bbq?

Originally Posted by soapy
could sit in a car every day for an hour
but that gives u plenty of scope.
what age are your kids? round about
what kind of lifestyle are u into?
OK!

I guess an hour door to door via public transport would be suitable (max). The kids are 5 and <1
Old Jul 21st 2005, 8:39 pm
Master of verbal pish©

OK!

I guess an hour door to door via public transport would be suitable (max). The kids are 5 and <1
ah, thats better. gives us an idea now. just need to find a list for ya
Old Jul 21st 2005, 9:26 pm
Master of verbal pish©

ah, thats better. gives us an idea now. just need to find a list for ya
Ive had a quick look at old threads on this topic. There seems to be a big difference of opinion.
Best thing to do is, have a search on the Sydney suburbs and decide for yourself. Most people seem to have favourite suburbs. I answered a post like this last year and was shot down in flames for saying some areas were nice lol
Old Jul 21st 2005, 11:23 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Ive had a quick look at old threads on this topic. There seems to be a big difference of opinion.
Best thing to do is, have a search on the Sydney suburbs and decide for yourself. Most people seem to have favourite suburbs. I answered a post like this last year and was shot down in flames for saying some areas were nice lol
Come on soapy, you can do better than that. Not much of an answer if you don't name some places. How about Malabar? Maroubra? Stick your neck out!
Old Jul 21st 2005, 11:28 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

and how much money do you have? maroubra may be nice but i'm sure it's bloody expensive. how about bondi? there's an ok beach there too.

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
Come on soapy, you can do better than that. Not much of an answer if you don't name some places. How about Malabar? Maroubra? Stick your neck out!
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of

There are lots of suburbs that meet that crtieria. Biggest factor is the price you want to pay to live there.

Might help if you let us know if you are thinking north or south of the harbour.
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 4:21 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Mummy
There are lots of suburbs that meet that crtieria. Biggest factor is the price you want to pay to live there.

Might help if you let us know if you are thinking north or south of the harbour.
north or south?
east or west?
buying or renting?
long term or short?
house or unit?

might as well stick a pin in the map
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

How about suburbs to the North of Manly such as Harbord and Freshwater Bay......you may be able to walk/cycle to the ferry wharf, then get the ferry into the CBD.

SS
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 10:22 am
Master of verbal pish©

you just answer your emails never mind picking on me lol.
i love maroubra and malabar but its not everyones cop of tea

Ok ok,
Bondi is a bit touristy for me. Too many back packers, Coogees the same, only much nicer. It’s a bit rowdy in the summer though.
Bronte is beautiful and very quiet. Maroubra beach is dead, just the way I like it. It can get busier in the summer, but not crowded. Malabar is deserted to the point that u might not see anyone during the week lol. My favourite is little bay, its surrounded by a golf course. You could just sit there all day and watch nothing. Well a few whales if you get the timing right. La Peruse is busy most of the time, with people stopping for 10 mins.
All of the above have plenty of schools, shopping centres and are not too far away from the Toon.
Oh I forgot to mention. There is a spot at Malabar where u can sit at the edge of a cliff and see right up the coast.
After Bondi you get nearer the Toon and u need a lot of cash just to rent, but it’s a nice area and very busy. It has a good feel to it, can’t describe the feel though. Rose bay is one of my faves there, its an area where, if u go in to a shop and have to ask the price of the shoes. You can’t afford them. Lol
The rest of the burbs to the west of the beaches are a blur. I tend to just drive through them not really looking. Not that I don’t like them, just that im only passing through.
North of the river is fantastic. Far too many areas to mention. I just couldn’t live at that side though and for one reason and one reason only…………..THE SPIT BRIDGE. I hate the thing. I would have to be working that side of the bridge to cope with life. If I had my way I would sit on the bridge with a chain saw and when a yacht passed, off with the mast it would be. Oops lost it a bit there. We have had some great days out north side and it does look lovely. The only one im not impressed with is Manly. Now don’t all you manly punters start jumping on me? Its just not for me. Far too busy!!! All they mad roller skaters, cyclists and numpties with surfboard, who never even get to the beach. They just sit at a café with it blocking the wind. I think u get my drift. But the surrounding areas are brill.
South? Well that’s a different case altogether. Someone once described Sylvania as stepford wife’s. Never seen it, but ive heard that a few times now. Wollongong is nice too with plenty around for a family. Most of the south coast is really nice, but I just couldn’t commute that distance every day, but a lot of people do.
West, well I went to Campbell town a couple of times and liked what I seen. Nice burbs, good feel about the place, and the housing was cheap. But then the riots started. Don’t know if it was because I had visited though. Then it got really bad write-ups from the press. I didn’t see anything like that when I was there.
Anyway, the main thing is transport! A lot of the places don’t have trains to the toon. So u will have to hunt for members who live in an area to find that out.
On my second beer now, so I better stop before I make a complete arse of myself.
Good luck to the OP and I hope I helped a wee bit. If not, don’t worry just ignore me, everyone else does lol

Old Jul 22nd 2005, 1:23 pm
Where's the bbq?

north or south?
east or west?
buying or renting?
long term or short?
house or unit?

might as well stick a pin in the map
Apologies for the vaguesness of my request. To sum up, whilst within the app process of 136 with intention of moving to QLD, I have been approached by several people for opportunities in Sydney. Which has come as a shock but very much welcomed.

For this reason we have no info on Sydney at all.

All we know for sure is that our intention is NOT to live in the city, NOT to live in a tourist hotspot, but to live in a decent area with good schools, parks, shops and a good transport network and within an hour of the CBD.

As for housing our initial thoughts are to rent a house 3 bed+ good size garden reasonable quiet area, ideally either walking distance to beaches or a short drive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.