Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Nice Commutable locations in Sydney

Nice Commutable locations in Sydney

Old Jul 26th 2005, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

cammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Nice Commutable locations in Sydney

Originally Posted by WHEEZY
Hi there wandrews, have read the replies you've had so far, but there has been no mention of how much you want to spend on rent, or will you be buying? Its a big factor I'm afraid and one that will eventually be the deciding one.

I was in your position some 6 months ago, arriving in Sydney not knowing where to live, hubby working in the CBD and having to find schools for the 2 kids, 6 and 4. Initially we were going to opt for the Northern Suburbs ie St Ives, Pymble, Killara, Lindfield etc having been advised by various real estate agents that these were great places to live and bring kids up and around 1 hour on a good day from the CBD. So, we arrived in Sydney in March booked ourselves into a hotel for 3 weeks with the kids :scared: and spent everyday looking at houses in those areas. Looked at the schools too, and yes it did seem a nice place to live. However, after spending 2 weeks 'up there' and not finding what we were looking for we'd had enough, and decided to have a break at the old house hunting lark and spend a few days being holidaymakers, you know, the usual sightseeing trips on the ferrys, visiting the cafe culture areas of Kirribilli, Mosman, Cremorne, Neutral Bay and taking trips down to Balmoral Beach, (which nobody has mentioned by the way) which is lovely and fantastic for kids, (no waves = no surfers) we had a great time. Suddenly, little light bulbs appeared above our heads and we realised (don't shoot me down all you Northern Suburbanners!) this is what we came to Oz for, not to swop one suburban street for another, but to actually live the lifesyle, ie hubby goes to work by ferry, great on a sunny morning and only 15mins. We have found a great school for my little girl and a fab kindy for my little boy, all within walking distance. I am also able to jump on a bus/ferry and meet hubby for lunch (Darling Harbour being a fav haunt) whilst the kids are in kindy/school and still be back in time to pick them up, takes me 15 mins to get in the city by either bus or ferry.

So what I am trying to say, in a rambling sort of way, is decide what sort of lifestyle you are looking for, are you happy further away from the city, being able to have a bigger place, with maybe a pool, and great scenery etc, or do you want to have great beaches, restaurants, shops, theatres etc by the plenty and a hop skip and a jump to the city. I know of a few people who have made the mistake of moving to an area only to hate it afterwards and have the hassle of trying to break leases.

I know some people may say that being close to the city is not really great if you have kids, but I disagree, there is so much to do, you have Taronga Zoo just down the road, jump on a bus into the city and take them to the Power House Museum which always has great stuff on for the kids and the Opera House's Play House do something for 2-5 year olds every month.

Good luck with the search and give me a shout if you would like to hear more Wheezy ramblings

Louise
Great post.

We are hoping to be in Sydney around November, depending on house sale - and like you we are/were thinking of St Ives, Pymble North Shore area, but your post has made us think again.

My job is in Crows Nest so Lower North would be great.

We have two girls 5,7 and a little boy 18 months so areas like Balmoral, Mosman may be great.

I think you are right - it's got to be lifestyle, lifestyle, lifestyle!

Time for a little more research on the internet I think!!

Thanks again

Cameron
Old Jul 27th 2005, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

WHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really nice

Originally Posted by cammym
Great post.

We are hoping to be in Sydney around November, depending on house sale - and like you we are/were thinking of St Ives, Pymble North Shore area, but your post has made us think again.

My job is in Crows Nest so Lower North would be great.

We have two girls 5,7 and a little boy 18 months so areas like Balmoral, Mosman may be great.

I think you are right - it's got to be lifestyle, lifestyle, lifestyle!

Time for a little more research on the internet I think!!

Thanks again

Cameron
No problem Cameron, have to look after the Brummies (like myself) coming over or are you more a black country boy????
Old Jul 27th 2005, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

cammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by WHEEZY
No problem Cameron, have to look after the Brummies (like myself) coming over or are you more a black country boy????
My wife is a Brummie, but as you can maybe tell from my name I am from Glasgow, but we both currently live in sunny Wolverhampton.

We moved to Wolves 12 years ago for a job and said we'd be there for a year! Three kids and a third of a lifetime later - Sydney here we come!!

My kids have a strange sort of Scottish, Black Counry accent though.

Cam
Old Jul 27th 2005, 9:08 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is a Brummie, but as you can maybe tell from my name I am from Glasgow, but we both currently live in sunny Wolverhampton.

We moved to Wolves 12 years ago for a job and said we'd be there for a year! Three kids and a third of a lifetime later - Sydney here we come!!

My kids have a strange sort of Scottish, Black Counry accent though.

Cam
ah cammy one of the lads eh? need more of us out here
where in glasgow do u come from?
Old Jul 27th 2005, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by soapy
ah cammy one of the lads eh? need more of us out here
where in glasgow do u come from?
I am a Southside lad, from Shawlands area.
Just mentioning it brings back loads of memories.

What about you?

Cam
Old Jul 27th 2005, 1:15 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

I am a Southside lad, from Shawlands area.
Just mentioning it brings back loads of memories.

What about you?

Cam
govanhill. i know shawlands well. played football twice a night there before i left. we can have a good natter when we meet up then mate