Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

DENTISTRY - Anyone else feel like they're being taken for a ride?

DENTISTRY - Anyone else feel like they're being taken for a ride?

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

BrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DENTISTRY - Anyone else feel like they're being taken for a ride?

"I asked how information about my job title and service length with the employer relates to the treatment. The lady on reception couldn't answer. Therefore, I assume it has none and so I did not provide that information."

Maybe they're just plain nosey?
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 2:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone had much luck in getting new dentist to get your previous dental history from previous dentists?
Would save on having x-rays every five minutes....could understand if your dentist was in blighty, but my old geeza said he'd forward stuff onwards if I needed it...
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

I fell victim to the crown scam. In truth the tooth had fallen apart, but I paid nearly $1000 for my co-pay on a crown as the insurance denied a whole series of little extras they threw onto the treatment (veneers, ‘premium; processing time etc). When I was in the chair and numbed up they flashed something in my face with the bottom line that my co pay would only be $300. Basically they lied knowing they had already done some of the work.
Second visit I was told I needed deep root scaling and polishing as I had very advanced gingivitis etc. etc. First I had heard of it, no problems 'till then. Again they had me in the chair and had three different people from the practice came by to try to convince me that I had to have it done (cost estimate - $600, conveniently not covered by my insurance, hence they don’t have to dick around with my insurer, just take the money at source). What they didn't know was that I have 3 colleagues at work who had been suckered and all of them said it was unnecessary and painful (they pull the gums back and scrape/polish below the gum line- yuck). I refused and said that I just wanted a basic cleaning. They said no, so I said I won't pay, and filed a complaint with both my insurance and the practice's head office. They are still trying to get payment for the non delivery of treatment, all I say is bring it on, I’ll see you in court…. I won't mention their name, but if you know the saying about “An Englishman’s home is his ca$&]e" then you'll know which chain I am talking about.... Avoid at all costs.
Bottom line is I went to a surgery that opened about a mile away from home. The dentist left the practice I am referring to above due to conflicts of interest over unnecessary treatments. She looked at my gums, and asked me a bunch of questions, and then said had I ever heard of Lichen Planus. Well strangely enough this hereditary disease had affected my father, and I had a recent mild bout on another part of my body. To cut a long story short, gums and teeth were fine, I had a mild flare up of this disease, which is totally harmless and whilst there is no cure, does seem to have gone….

Bottom line, always get at least one other opinion, they are amongst the top rip off artists in the US, and deserve to be treated with the utmost caution. Some of the rip off jobs they have achieved on my US colleagues (1000’s of $$) are truly staggering.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 4:51 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

"I was told I needed deep root scaling and polishing as I had very advanced gingivitis etc. etc. First I had heard of it, no problems 'till then. Again they had me in the chair and had three different people from the practice came by to try to convince me that I had to have it done (cost estimate - $600, conveniently not covered by my insurance, hence they don’t have to dick around with my insurer, just take the money at source). What they didn't know was that I have 3 colleagues at work who had been suckered and all of them said it was unnecessary"

Would you believe it: this happened to me as well (except they wanted c. $750...). And no, I didn't fall for it either, and over 3 years and numerous check-ups and cleanings later (at a different practice, of course), my teeth still seem to be fine.

Seems to be a very common scam!
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 5:07 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I think the way to reduce any unnecessary treatment and costs is to ask questions and get clear answers. If the dentist (or any service provider) doesn't or can't give satisfactory answers to the questions, go elsewhere.

I'm sure Brits are not alone getting "ripped off" by dentists. Many 1000s of Americans probably experience the same.

NC Penguin
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 5:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I'm sure Brits are not alone getting "ripped off" by dentists. Many 1000s of Americans probably experience the same.
that, and huge cost and no insurance is probably why so many don't go...and then have bad teeth...
so there any sort of regulations board where you can check up on your dentist?
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 5:43 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
that, and huge cost and no insurance is probably why so many don't go...and then have bad teeth...
Well one site would be the American Dental Association (ADA). They have a website. Also, there are professional associations/organizations based on dental speciality too.

Can't remember if dentists have to be state certified like doctors. Check by searching on the internet.

NC Penguin
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 6:13 pm
Stuff and Nonsense

Russ&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I threatened mine with the Vermont Board of Dental Examiners. They soon shut their gobs after that.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 6:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Can't remember if dentists have to be state certified like doctors. Check by searching on the internet.

Aye...but I'm lazy, hoping someone might have known
I think I might try the slaughter/blood combo sometime here though..
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 10:24 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Has anyone had much luck in getting new dentist to get your previous dental history from previous dentists?
Would save on having x-rays every five minutes....could understand if your dentist was in blighty, but my old geeza said he'd forward stuff onwards if I needed it...
I called my old dentist and told them I would be there to pick them up the next day. I turned up, they spent a couple of minutes getting them for me and I took them directly to my new dentist. They did ask for a letter from my new dentist but I think there's a law (HIPAA or something) that says you must be provided with copies of any medical records within something like 30 days - if they don't comply they're breaking the law. Also, your insurance company would be interested to know why you weren't able to get them after all they paid for them, so technically they belong to the insurance company.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 10:33 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
I called my old dentist and told them I would be there to pick them up the next day. I turned up, they spent a couple of minutes getting them for me and I took them directly to my new dentist. They did ask for a letter from my new dentist but I think there's a law (HIPAA or something) that says you must be provided with copies of any medical records within something like 30 days - if they don't comply they're breaking the law. Also, your insurance company would be interested to know why you weren't able to get them after all they paid for them, so technically they belong to the insurance company.
HIPAA's a great law. Totally unintelligible and instills fear in any healthcare organisation. Slipping it into the conversation when you're pissed with someone at the doctors or dentists -whether it's relevant or not - is often the breakthrough you need when dealing with these people.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 10:36 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
HIPAA's a great law. Totally unintelligible and instills fear in any healthcare organisation. Slipping it into the conversation when you're pissed with someone at the doctors or dentists -whether it's relevant or not - is often the breakthrough you need when dealing with these people.
Yeah, I foolishly decided to try and work out what it covers but couldn't really pin down an answer, so I figured it would be quite safe to use it.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 10:43 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
Yeah, I foolishly decided to try and work out what it covers but couldn't really pin down an answer, so I figured it would be quite safe to use it.
Nobody knows what the hell it's all about.Remember reading about problems they were having with it in rural sticksville. The ambulance on a 911 call used to be also given the persons name in places where addresses do not exist since this was actually the easiest way to locate the potential patient. After HIPPA came in, they decided this was illegal. Chaos ensued!
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 11:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by fatbrit
...The ambulance on a 911 call used to be also given the persons name in places where addresses do not exist since this was actually the easiest way to locate the potential patient. After HIPPA came in, they decided this was illegal. Chaos ensued!
which is why there are so many random road names in maine like bud avenue, heineken road, katie's crotch *lol*

So HIPAA...what's that all about then? sounds like it could be interesting to remember
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 11:06 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Bob
which is why there are so many random road names in maine like bud avenue, heineken road, katie's crotch *lol*

So HIPAA...what's that all about then? sounds like it could be interesting to remember
Enjoy here.

Theoretically, it's confidentiaity and right of access to medical records. Practically, it's so freakin' complicated it's unworkable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.