Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving from MA down to PA, Tappanzee v George Washington Bridge?

Driving from MA down to PA, Tappanzee v George Washington Bridge?

Old May 16th 2011, 12:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving from MA down to PA, Tappanzee v George Washington Bridge?

Originally Posted by Bob
About 25 miles west, we're just off I-495 and the Mass Pike

When I go to Boston, I drive 684 to the Mass Pike and then head to Boston. I like it better than battling trucks on I-95. It will also take you down the middle part of the state rather than the coastline and you should be entering 287 around White Plains.
Old May 16th 2011, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I've done the drive years back and think I went the folks way before, but not sure, as I think I went I-95 all the way down through Providence RI, but this time we're a bit west so going I-495 through Hartford, CT...don't know which is better, they're both crap....though we could cut the middle on go down I-395 and avoid both dumps.
Providence is now 'the coolest city in New England' according to the Daily Telegraph ! (though there are a fair few dissenters in the comments).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...lest-city.html
Old May 16th 2011, 7:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
Providence is now 'the coolest city in New England' according to the Daily Telegraph ! (though there are a fair few dissenters in the comments).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...lest-city.html
Possibly because of what, Brown Uni? And the bint from Harry Twotter going there.

They lie, it's a shit hole...

The 684 is sounding more fun, done the coast route a few times down to CT and be nice to try something different, especially if the weather is nice
Old May 16th 2011, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Possibly because of what, Brown Uni? And the bint from Harry Twotter going there.

They lie, it's a shit hole...
Yeah - I'm inclined not to trust these types of travel articles since that one I read a while ago which claimed that Nottingham was 'the Milan of the Midlands'. Still - having lived in some dodgy parts of the UK I think my criteria for what constitutes a shit hole is probably a bit stricter. It's an OK place if I manage to get to the bus station without being attacked by a prostitute.

Last edited by HumphreyC; May 16th 2011 at 8:53 pm.
Old May 17th 2011, 2:01 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
When I go to Boston, I drive 684 to the Mass Pike and then head to Boston. I like it better than battling trucks on I-95. It will also take you down the middle part of the state rather than the coastline and you should be entering 287 around White Plains.
Did the reverse back in 2002 in driving from Cambridge to Pleasantville. The route was provided by our friends living in Pleasantville.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 7:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
And this was the route we took...it was lovely...shame about all the dead deer though, loads of them.

Also liked how well lit the motorway was in NJ...and that NY/NJ only tolled up one side of the route rather than both...least CT didn't have tolls.

Pics of Hartford, CT, I-684, TZB, NJ and the college campus

a smidge over 300 miles each way, about 5 hours per leg...loads of cars were being pulled for speeding so I wasn't doing any of it
Attached Thumbnails Driving from MA down to PA, Tappanzee v George Washington Bridge?-college-reunion-trip-02.jpg   Driving from MA down to PA, Tappanzee v George Washington Bridge?-college-reunion-trip-08.jpg   Driving from MA down to PA, Tappanzee v George Washington Bridge?-college-reunion-trip-07.jpg   Driving from MA down to PA, Tappanzee v George Washington Bridge?-college-reunion-trip-19.jpg   Driving from MA down to PA, Tappanzee v George Washington Bridge?-college-reunion-trip-25.jpg