British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Driving from MA down to PA, Tappanzee v George Washington Bridge? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/driving-ma-down-pa-tappanzee-v-george-washington-bridge-717030/)

Bob May 14th 2011 11:12 pm

Driving from MA down to PA, Tappanzee v George Washington Bridge?

Right then, so bit of a road trip next month...TomTom/Google, they all say wing down I-95 through NY and cross over into NJ via the George Washington Bridge.

The missus and her father both say that's dumb and should wing over the Tappanzee Bridge instead....that's what, winging over north of NY City around Yonkers at I-287/I-87E? Then bomb down I-287 till that meets up with I-78.

I've done the drive years back and think I went the folks way before, but not sure, as I think I went I-95 all the way down through Providence RI, but this time we're a bit west so going I-495 through Hartford, CT...don't know which is better, they're both crap....though we could cut the middle on go down I-395 and avoid both dumps.

So what's the best route in your opinions?

Either way, it's a 4.5hr+ drive, got to get there by around 8am on a Saturday....some one sort this argument out...well it's not an argument as I have no preference...but I do trust the TomTom :lol:

rpjs May 14th 2011 11:51 pm

Re: Driving from MA down to PA, Tappanzee v George Washington Bridge?

We did the reverse in April last year from Philly to Boston. Our friends from Boston who were doing the driving reckoned heading for the Tappan Zee and then I-684/I-84 across CT instead of I-95 would be fastest and so that's what we did. I forget what route we used from I-95 in Jersey to the Bridge except it was very slow, so try and avoid Jersey as much as you can (a good rule of life in general sez my OH!)

We stopped for lunch just off the eastern side of the TZB and liked the area so much we ended up moving here when we emigrated!

Bob May 15th 2011 12:21 am

Just changing the route on Google, avoiding Hartford and going over the TZB, it's only about 20 miles further and 13 extra minutes...might be worth it to avoid driving through NY.

Also means avoiding Newark, and chunks of NJ, which last time was just a crap drive because the roadworks meant there was hardly any motorway to drive on :lol:

There has to be a better route :D

mandpete May 15th 2011 2:20 am

I drove from Princeton area to Boston and back quite recently. On the way up I went via Newburgh NY and didn't hit any traffic even though I drove during evening rush hour. It took me 5 1/2 hours including stopping for gas and something to eat. Coming back went over the Tappanzee - this was on a Sunday so traffic was not so bad. Hubby recommends avoiding GWB at all times.

Jerseygirl May 15th 2011 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9364655)
Right then, so bit of a road trip next month...TomTom/Google, they all say wing down I-95 through NY and cross over into NJ via the George Washington Bridge.

The missus and her father both say that's dumb and should wing over the Tappanzee Bridge instead....that's what, winging over north of NY City around Yonkers at I-287/I-87E? Then bomb down I-287 till that meets up with I-78.

I've done the drive years back and think I went the folks way before, but not sure, as I think I went I-95 all the way down through Providence RI, but this time we're a bit west so going I-495 through Hartford, CT...don't know which is better, they're both crap....though we could cut the middle on go down I-395 and avoid both dumps.

So what's the best route in your opinions?

Either way, it's a 4.5hr+ drive, got to get there by around 8am on a Saturday....some one sort this argument out...well it's not an argument as I have no preference...but I do trust the TomTom :lol:

Hubby has driven from Boston to Northern NJ every week for the last 4 months...he said the Tappanzee is the way to go. Less congestion than the GWB...you're also straight on I-287 south...then onto the Turnpike. Obviously will depend on where in PA you're going to. Avoid the rush hour if you can...especially Friday afternoon/early evening.

Bob May 15th 2011 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9365772)
Hubby has driven from Boston to Northern NJ every week for the last 4 months...he said the Tappanzee is the way to go. Less congestion than the GWB...you're also straight on I-287 south...then onto the Turnpike. Obviously will depend on where in PA you're going to. Avoid the rush hour if you can...especially Friday afternoon/early evening.

TZB does sound like the winner...but how bad is the traffic early Saturday and Middle of Sunday like down that way?

EZ Pass all the way for tolls down there too right? :)

And we're heading down to Allentown, so northern PA.

Rete May 15th 2011 7:22 pm

Definitely the Tap, Bob. The GW is a nightmare at the approach from either approachways, i.e. Major Deegan or the Henry Hudson or Cross Bronx Expressway.

I would opt for the 684 as well. Much nicer and easier ride and you can then hook up to 287 to the Tap. From there I would suggest the Garden State till you can pick up the Turnpike around Exit 11 on the Turnpike which should be around the Rattan Plaza.

Bob May 15th 2011 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 9365925)
...From there I would suggest the Garden State till you can pick up the Turnpike around Exit 11 on the Turnpike which should be around the Rattan Plaza.

Would that be around Paterson, west on I-80?

That goes on to 287 around Parsippany.

Jerseygirl May 15th 2011 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9365799)
TZB does sound like the winner...but how bad is the traffic early Saturday and Middle of Sunday like down that way?

EZ Pass all the way for tolls down there too right? :)

And we're heading down to Allentown, so northern PA.

Hubby said it should be OK...just peak times and construction/accidents that are the hold up.

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9366066)
Would that be around Paterson, west on I-80?

That goes on to 287 around Parsippany.

The Tappanzee will take you straight onto 287 south then you want 78 west for Allentown...80 will take you too far north.

Bob May 15th 2011 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9366132)
The Tappanzee will take you straight onto 287 south then you want 78 west for Allentown...80 will take you too far north.

That was the route I'm starting to think is the easiest, going via Hartford, CT so we can hit I-684 for something a bit different.

Though Pat just said to take the GWB via I-91 through New Haven :lol:

I hate driving, my heads going to explode :)

Jerseygirl May 15th 2011 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9366146)
That was the route I'm starting to think is the easiest, going via Hartford, CT so we can hit I-684 for something a bit different.

Though Pat just said to take the GWB via I-91 through New Haven :lol:

I hate driving, my heads going to explode :)

Where in Boston are you coming from?

Bob May 15th 2011 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9366155)
Where in Boston are you coming from?

About 25 miles west, we're just off I-495 and the Mass Pike :lol:

Manc May 16th 2011 1:00 am

Without a doubt the Tappan Zee.

Jerseygirl May 16th 2011 1:05 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9366234)
About 25 miles west, we're just off I-495 and the Mass Pike :lol:

OK so that's the route hubby used to take. Mass Turnpike west...then 84 south to 95 south. 95 south to 287 west towards Tappannzee...then 287 south...then 78 west. Only he didn't do 78. :D

Bob May 16th 2011 1:30 am

A mate just suggested I-84 west to Scranton and then I-476 south all the all, to avoid NY entirely...but that sounds a little bonkers :D

Might do the scenic I-684/278 on the way down as it'll be early enough to avoid the cluster of Hartford, but then head up I-95 on the way home and depending on how New Haven is looking, head up to I-84 or go over I-395.

The way home isn't so bad as there's less of a time issue...just the getting down there that's the pain in the butt :)