Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

It feels like we never went...

It feels like we never went...

Old Oct 25th 2009, 12:32 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It feels like we never went...

Originally Posted by Griff
the seniority system exists across all occupations. As I said in my post I truly believe that promotion should be earnt not a given, otherwise we end up with the wrong people at the head of a department.
Seniority exists in many industries in many countries, the unions are largely to thank for that. No longer does the best person get the job or promotion.

It happened in the UK years ago when BA took over BCal. BCal crews slipped into the BA seniority line irrespective of experience or competence. FOs who were in line for a command with BCal suddenly found themselves way down the list and some never managed to move up so left for pastures new.

Fact of life I am afraid, we often don't always end up with the best people in the job.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 12:33 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ann m
dboy - Yep - likewise - and this is not the place to write about policing, so I haven't either.

But you must acknowledge that whatever one's experiences of a new country - they can be tainted or glorified by what you see and deal with. It makes no different if you are an accountant, a nurse, a police officer or a truck driver. What you find in your line of business highlights your experiences and gives you your opinions of the business and sometimes therefore the country.

As we often say on here - no-one is right or wrong - no country is better or worse - you own experiences shape your views
Yes, well said. That was what I meant with my comment about not landing on your feet. At the end of the day, if relationships are strained, work is unfulfilling (i find this one is a biggie), kids can settle in school, family is missed, money is tight..... you perception of a place, any place will be strained. I imagine I would have much the same troubles if were to suddenly to move to Blighty, having not lived there for so long. I couldn't imagine what I would do for a living if i moved there.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

Griff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Seniority exists in many industries in many countries, the unions are largely to thank for that. No longer does the best person get the job or promotion.

It happened in the UK years ago when BA took over BCal. BCal crews slipped into the BA seniority line irrespective of experience or competence. FOs who were in line for a command with BCal suddenly found themselves way down the list and some never managed to move up so left for pastures new.

Fact of life I am afraid, we often don't always end up with the best people in the job.
No and I leave for pastures old for the same reasons!!
elaine
Old Oct 25th 2009, 12:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

No longer does the best person get the job or promotion.

Fact of life I am afraid...
Doesn't make it right though - and if you have not come from this type of set up, it can be a rather rude awakening ....hence Griff's yearning to return I suspect.

Put up and shut up I suppose - so that it can continue for ever and a day ...
Old Oct 25th 2009, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Griff
very true
I have just had my brother need emergency heart surgery about 6 weeks ago.
sorry to hear that. Hope all is well.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 12:53 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Doesn't make it right though - and if you have not come from this type of set up, it can be a rather rude awakening ....hence Griff's yearning to return I suspect.

Put up and shut up I suppose - so that it can continue for ever and a day ...
Did not say it was right, just the way it is in many work places. A unionised work place does not always work in the best interests of the most skilled and dedicated employees. I cannot see a way of getting rid of this type of system, there are many who would not even get a job outside of it.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 12:58 am

Did not say it was right, just the way it is in many work places. A unionised work place does not always work in the best interests of the most skilled and dedicated employees. I cannot see a way of getting rid of this type of system, there are many who would not even get a job outside of it.
Noticed you are ex Navy - me too. Mine warfare - operations branch. My service number was D205827D - funny how you don't forget that! Maybe there is something for said for finding it easier to move around having come from the armed forces?
Old Oct 25th 2009, 1:18 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
The service seems to have deprived you of any humanity and empathy towards others. Do you believe this to be a blessing?
you really are an utter twat. have you explained yet your reasons for trolling around on this area of expats when you are a spanish bricklayer who studied in the UK for 6mths and once you realised you could throw up a few walls in typical spanish fashion went back to spain??
you are not British, you are not an expat, you are not moving back to the UK, but i think the majority know exactly what you are, superior, condescending knob, is what i was thinking.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

Griff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dboy
sorry to hear that. Hope all is well.
thanks dboy, he is doing well

elaine

Last edited by Griff; Oct 25th 2009 at 1:45 am. Reason: additional info
Old Oct 25th 2009, 1:40 am

Noticed you are ex Navy - me too. Mine warfare - operations branch. My service number was D205827D - funny how you don't forget that! Maybe there is something for said for finding it easier to move around having come from the armed forces?
Could well do. Even after I came out I was traveling a lot, so never really stayed in one place for very long. Makes retirement a challenge, may end up taking another job. Not sure yet.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 2:01 am

Could well do. Even after I came out I was traveling a lot, so never really stayed in one place for very long. Makes retirement a challenge, may end up taking another job. Not sure yet.
I also moved about a lot, until settling here in 1993. I have 10 - 15 to go, depending on when I decide to pull the pin. Who knows what/where the next adventure will be.

Off to gas town for some haunted walk or something that my oh's friends have set up. Hope there is an haunted pub along the way.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 7:33 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
you really are an utter twat. have you explained yet your reasons for trolling around on this area of expats when you are a spanish bricklayer who studied in the UK for 6mths and once you realised you could throw up a few walls in typical spanish fashion went back to spain??
you are not British, you are not an expat, you are not moving back to the UK, but i think the majority know exactly what you are, superior, condescending knob, is what i was thinking.
Strangely enough I was thinking the same thing about you. Admittedly though, we have to swap the bricklayer angle for the low grade copper in your case.

I see that you are now using full stops when constructing sentences, so that at least should be applauded, even though you still haven`t quite grasped what capital letters are! Do they actually let you write police reports out?

Last edited by Jules Europe; Oct 25th 2009 at 7:35 am.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

californiadreamin is just really nicecaliforniadreamin is just really nicecaliforniadreamin is just really nicecaliforniadreamin is just really nicecaliforniadreamin is just really nicecaliforniadreamin is just really nicecaliforniadreamin is just really nicecaliforniadreamin is just really nice

My brother was in the armed forces as well and he says much the same thing in regards to being able to move around and adapting.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 10:37 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Strangely enough I was thinking the same thing about you. Admittedly though, we have to swap the bricklayer angle for the low grade copper in your case.

I see that you are now using full stops when constructing sentences, so that at least should be applauded, even though you still haven`t quite grasped what capital letters are! Do they actually let you write police reports out?
thanks for reinforcing the condescending superior knob tag i gave you. i'll leave it at that, i know you feel the need to give some last digs to placate your massive ego. away you go.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartianTom
Apparently, it's the longest word in the English language and means something like 'the action of estimating something as worthless'. Appropriate for this thread, perhaps

Not sure of the etymology, but I'm sure Jules could help us out with that. Over to you, my man...
I think you'll find the longest word is 'antiestablishmentarianism'.

thanks for reinforcing the condescending superior knob tag i gave you. i'll leave it at that, i know you feel the need to give some last digs to placate your massive ego. away you go.
Have you ever heard the phrase, 'It's not me, it's you'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.