Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

It feels like we never went...

It feels like we never went...

Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

sim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud of
Default It feels like we never went...

We have been back in England for nearly 4 months, we emigrated to Nova Scotia, Canada in August 2008, spent 9 months there, 5 of which we were planning our return, and now feel really happy and settled again.

When we were in Canada we quickly realised just what we had given up in England, hubby in the construction industry had a crap time with dinosaur companies, lack of health and safety practices, etc, etc, the plan was to apply for a plumbing lecturer job upon our return, well it took a couple of months to get that all important interview, but it was worth the wait as he got the job and is now enjoying a good salary, 50 days paid holiday and final salary teachers pension, wish he had done this a few years ago instead of waiting 2+ years for Canadian permanent residence, what a bloody waste of time, what a painfully cold, boring country ita was, probably safer than England of course, well we felt we would take our chances other than be bored stiff and freezin in Canada! Obviously we knew it would be cold, but did not realise exactly how much it would curtail our lives!

We also made the mistake of building a house that we had to sell, luckily we have recently sold it, but paid heavily for the mistake as the realtors took 5%, that's 5% overall, not on the first $100,000 as some would have you believe, we are now $20,000 worse off due to the Canadian real estate set up, and you can't sell it yourself, it's almost impossible as that is the way it is done and probably will never change.

Anyway, Canada was not for us for so many reasons, and I would just like to say for anyone coming back, don't be scared of people's reactions, most will say they admire you for taking a chance and doing something different, and if you attitude is right and you accept what England has to offer, warts and all, you will be okay, cos believe me other countries have not got it as good in lots of ways.

We have got our lives back, yes we are minus thousands of pounds, but we don't care, cos we are truly happy to be back, and appreciate everything so much more!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:54 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It feels like we never went...

Sounds great.
Congratulations to your Dh on his new job.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

deadlock will become famous soon enough

well done!
i'm in brisbane filling out my passport application as we speak i cant wait to get home! bangers and mash and a few pints with the family
all the best to you
Old Sep 17th 2009, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

We are in NZ and can echo every word you say we sold our house this week after 70 viewings so now have to find temp accom until Jan the dog passed frst time his rabies jab which is great so thats on track yes we are thousands down if you also add in shipping flights for us and pet etc but we have lerned some valuable lessons we have been here 1 year today and the last 2 months activily planning our return! look forward to a decent meal in an English pub and a better standard of driving!
Old Sep 17th 2009, 2:11 am
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

Sounds lovely. Where in Norfolk are you? I do miss it! Enjoy your exciting new life.
C
Old Sep 17th 2009, 3:07 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

We reccied NS in 06. Thk gawd we didnt go for it. Nice countryside, nice people.

Heavens waiting room.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear things have work out so well for you both
Old Sep 17th 2009, 5:10 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by sim2point4
We have been back in England for nearly 4 months, we emigrated to Nova Scotia, Canada in August 2008, spent 9 months there, 5 of which we were planning our return, and now feel really happy and settled again.

When we were in Canada we quickly realised just what we had given up in England, hubby in the construction industry had a crap time with dinosaur companies, lack of health and safety practices, etc, etc, the plan was to apply for a plumbing lecturer job upon our return, well it took a couple of months to get that all important interview, but it was worth the wait as he got the job and is now enjoying a good salary, 50 days paid holiday and final salary teachers pension, wish he had done this a few years ago instead of waiting 2+ years for Canadian permanent residence, what a bloody waste of time, what a painfully cold, boring country ita was, probably safer than England of course, well we felt we would take our chances other than be bored stiff and freezin in Canada! Obviously we knew it would be cold, but did not realise exactly how much it would curtail our lives!

We also made the mistake of building a house that we had to sell, luckily we have recently sold it, but paid heavily for the mistake as the realtors took 5%, that's 5% overall, not on the first $100,000 as some would have you believe, we are now $20,000 worse off due to the Canadian real estate set up, and you can't sell it yourself, it's almost impossible as that is the way it is done and probably will never change.

Anyway, Canada was not for us for so many reasons, and I would just like to say for anyone coming back, don't be scared of people's reactions, most will say they admire you for taking a chance and doing something different, and if you attitude is right and you accept what England has to offer, warts and all, you will be okay, cos believe me other countries have not got it as good in lots of ways.

We have got our lives back, yes we are minus thousands of pounds, but we don't care, cos we are truly happy to be back, and appreciate everything so much more!
Happiness is all that matters. UK is a good country, some of us just don't realise how good until it's gone.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm also back from Canada, for 3 months now. Best thing we ever did. All I can say is our lives have taken a real upward turn since getting back
Old Sep 20th 2009, 8:18 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Can echo just about everything you have said....Weve now been back almost 15 mths...thats longer then we spent in Canada and that 15 mths has just flown by.....but time does when your having fun
Old Sep 21st 2009, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

kwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to all

Glad you feel happier, nothing worse than being in a place you don't want to be in... If you don't mind me asking where abouts in norfolk did you move back to?
I'm looking to moving back to Norfolk in the next few years. Was back there in June. Had a great time back in Norwich I hope to move more into the country though this time.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

Griff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud of

Great post sim2point4

we too are heading back - next year. House has just gone on the market here. I have given it 2 1/2 years and it is long enough.
We looked into returning in March this year but my teenagers were so upset I couldn't do it. Now 2 months ago it was them that came to us and said they were ready to go back!!
I can't wait and posts like yours and JonFrank's keep me going as we go through the process in reverse!

Thanks
Elaine
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light

Emigrated for nine months? I have taken longer trips to the toilet,

Seriously though, congrats on realising where home is, thats the most important part...
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

How old are the teens and what made them change?

Originally Posted by Griff
Great post sim2point4

we too are heading back - next year. House has just gone on the market here. I have given it 2 1/2 years and it is long enough.
We looked into returning in March this year but my teenagers were so upset I couldn't do it. Now 2 months ago it was them that came to us and said they were ready to go back!!
I can't wait and posts like yours and JonFrank's keep me going as we go through the process in reverse!

Thanks
Elaine
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

sim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kwazywabbit
Glad you feel happier, nothing worse than being in a place you don't want to be in... If you don't mind me asking where abouts in norfolk did you move back to?
I'm looking to moving back to Norfolk in the next few years. Was back there in June. Had a great time back in Norwich I hope to move more into the country though this time.
We live in the Broadland area, great location, easy to get to Norwich,and the beautiful North Norfolk coast, lots for the kids to do all year round.
We went shopping in Norwich last Saturday, so many shops, cafes, restaurants, spoilt for choice, we had a great time.
Good luck with the move back, Norfolk is a lovely part of the country.

Last edited by sim2point4; Sep 22nd 2009 at 12:12 pm. Reason: typo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.