Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

what worth buying in UK before emigrating??

what worth buying in UK before emigrating??

Old Aug 29th 2009, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

Tearose will become famous soon enoughTearose will become famous soon enough
Default Re: what worth buying in UK before emigrating??

Originally Posted by kirstiec
We've missed having quite a few things since we emigrated 3 years ago, namely germolene (I can't live with that stuff!), decent instant custard powder, options chocolate drink, mens boxers/underwear are megabucks here and we've also been looking for a new bathrobe for hubby but we cannot find one ANYWHERE - do they not make them over here??? Marmite is crap over here if you love the real thing, make sure you allow space in your suitcase for that! There's heaps of other stuff but that's all I can think of so far.
Good Luck!!

I managed to get one from David Jones, but the quality is not the same, all the colour has faded badly after just 6 months
Old Aug 29th 2009, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

Tearose will become famous soon enoughTearose will become famous soon enough

Oops sorry I meant the bathrobe
Old Aug 29th 2009, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

twizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by kirstiec
Marmite is crap over here if you love the real thing, make sure you allow space in your suitcase for that!
I managed to source the real thing in Coles, labelled as Our Mate though. But they're about $5 for a small jar
Also seen them in Aldi's, for much less, around $3 a jar I think
Old Aug 30th 2009, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dodge26
As a matter of interest what is the average cost on nappies, so I can weigh up the pro's and con's, we can get them for about 12p each so if they were alot cheaper here, It would be worth shipping a large batch out.

Sorry for the delay in coming back to you. A huggies pack with 30 nappies in it for a toddler up to 16 kilos is around $25 which you know will be around 13 pounds (sorry can't work out how to do a pound sign). The best way it seems for buying wipes seems to be to get one of those refillable plastic boxes (only seem to be done by Huggies) and get the refil bags which are about $14-$15 for a bag of 120 wipes.

If you want a standard single pack of wipes they are around the $6-$7 mark.

They do have specials but I still find it more expensive than Boots orASDA etc as most of the UK places would always have a BOGOF on.

If there are any other items you want me to tell you about let me know and I will find out.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 6:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Next time I go to the UK, I will have an almost empty suitcase and buy Clothes over there. There is no place I know of in Aus that can compete on known international brands to the same extent in the UK. Last time I was in London @ Lillywhites the amount of stuff at 70 pct off including Nike and Adidas blew me away. I tell people to head to Lillywhites in Piccadily for a special shopping trip now.

Everything else, especially the electricals is on a par here.... People are just shopping in the wrong places. For xsakes Harvey Norman is the most expensive joint out there.

I can get HDMI cable for 20 bucks here. For Adapters Jaycar or Aldi once again. A lot of the Chinese 2 dollar shops do universal adapters for circa 6 bucks.

Aldi also do the stick blenders for around 25 bucks when they have them

Note if your after Cable, Just checked the MSY site... 8 bucks for a 3 meters of HDMI cable, or 5 bucks for 2 meters... Doubt if you could buy it anywhere in the UK for that. MSY is the only place anyone should buy computers or accessories and they do Mail order.

If I went to the UK, with my shopping patterns here, the UK would seem horribly expensive for the first few years.

http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 30th 2009 at 8:01 am.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 6:41 am
Peace Frog

dodge26 will become famous soon enoughdodge26 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Kingseat
Sorry for the delay in coming back to you. A huggies pack with 30 nappies in it for a toddler up to 16 kilos is around $25 which you know will be around 13 pounds (sorry can't work out how to do a pound sign). The best way it seems for buying wipes seems to be to get one of those refillable plastic boxes (only seem to be done by Huggies) and get the refil bags which are about $14-$15 for a bag of 120 wipes.

If you want a standard single pack of wipes they are around the $6-$7 mark.

They do have specials but I still find it more expensive than Boots orASDA etc as most of the UK places would always have a BOGOF on.

If there are any other items you want me to tell you about let me know and I will find out.

It does appear that the nappies here are alot cheaper might have more to do with the exchange rate than anything. But with one toddler and another baby on the way, its going to be worth while shipping a load over. Thanks for the information.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kingseat
That's extremely expensive, nobody pays that for nappies. They are about $15 in Coles for a 30 pack.

You can get 144 Huggies for <$80 from other places as well (Costco, online stores etc)

Similarly with the wipes - $15 for a bag of 240, not 20. (Coles own brand are $10 for 240)
Old Aug 30th 2009, 7:51 am
Just Joined

kirstiec has a brilliant futurekirstiec has a brilliant futurekirstiec has a brilliant futurekirstiec has a brilliant futurekirstiec has a brilliant futurekirstiec has a brilliant futurekirstiec has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Re: what worth buying in UK before emigrating??

Thanks Tearose - next time I'm down in Brissy I'll have a look !!
Old Aug 30th 2009, 8:55 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
.... A lot of the Chinese 2 dollar shops do universal adapters for circa 6 bucks.
Just avoid any that might look like this one, which sums up all that is wrong in the travel adapter, although it doesn't appear here in Aus/NZ variant (but it might!!!):

Electric shock

The product poses a risk of electric shock because:
- it is possible to insert one plug contact pin, while the other live pin is exposed,
- the shutters can be operated by a single pin,
- the contact pins of the adaptor can be touched while they are live,
- the contact pins of a plug which is inserted into the travel adaptor can be touched,
- the adaptor has no provision for earthing and is, therefore, unsuitable for use with appliances of Class I,
- the adaptor also accepts Class 0 (zero) plugs; in this case a Class 0 appliance can be used in a place where Class 0 is not allowed,
- it is possible to access live parts when the adaptor is plugged in and ready for use,
- the UK and USA plugs are live when the Europe plug is used.

The product does not comply with the national standard NEN 1020.
May be a Darwinian "universal" adapter.......
Seriously though some cheapo UK-> Oz adapters have no earth and are rated at 5 amps so be careful out there folks.
Attached Thumbnails what worth buying in UK before emigrating??-2009-w33_5-2f.jpg   what worth buying in UK before emigrating??-2009-w33_5-3f.jpg  
Old Aug 30th 2009, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
Just avoid any that might look like this one, which sums up all that is wrong in the travel adapter, although it doesn't appear here in Aus/NZ variant (but it might!!!):

May be a Darwinian "universal" adapter.......
Seriously though some cheapo UK-> Oz adapters have no earth and are rated at 5 amps so be careful out there folks.
These are the ones As far as I know the Earth works.... got any ideas on how to check LOL

Oh and I'm talking about ones for plugging in UK gear to Australian Sockets.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 30th 2009 at 11:38 am.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 11:40 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

For xsakes Harvey Norman is the most expensive joint out there.
Went there today... looking at Vacumn cleaners.. thought they had put the wrong price tag on one.. over $2k !!!!!!!!! for a cleaner...

I think NOT!

Em x
Old Aug 30th 2009, 11:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

These are the ones As far as I know the Earth works.... got any ideas on how to check LOL

Oh and I'm talking about ones for plugging in UK gear to Australian Sockets.

http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2...tor-WAS-16.jpg
There is a major safety issue with this item. Look at the live and neutral pins, on an Aussie standard plug, half of these pins are insulated. The reason for this is that if the plug was half in the socket, electricity would be flowing. The insulated part of the pins would prevent a child sticking their fingers in there and getting an electric shock. On this item there is no such protection and it is potentially lethal.

Avoid shite like this at all costs.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
There is a major safety issue with this item. Look at the live and neutral pins, on an Aussie standard plug, half of these pins are insulated. The reason for this is that if the plug was half in the socket, electricity would be flowing. The insulated part of the pins would prevent a child sticking their fingers in there and getting an electric shock. On this item there is no such protection and it is potentially lethal.

Avoid shite like this at all costs.
Well, you say shite like this, but I've just checked most of mine and none of them have that bit insulated and we are talking brands like Samsonite and a Swiss Travel Products one. i.e not particularly cheap ones.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 1:35 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Well, you say shite like this, but I've just checked most of mine and none of them have that bit insulated and we are talking brands like Samsonite and a Swiss Travel Products one. i.e not particularly cheap ones.
ooops looks like you was ripped off then...........
I'll have to check with me mate who runs this company to see what the Aussie position is:
http://www.qecservices.com.au/faq.htm
They do compliance testing/advice for importers over the ditch.

I have several adapters - some came with Jap appliances, some with chinese, and one with a Nikon charger - that (KORJO) has the shrouded pins, others don't. Ones me mom bought from Poundland in the UK have shrouded pins......and the pins are shrouded for a reason. Wouldn't want a "tickle" would we? Had a few including a behind the plug one (as a kid) and they are no fun!

Also bear in mind your 13amp UK plug tops and appliances can be rated at, erm 13amps, and ...... if you use a double adapter/travel adapters with no breaker or a UK 4 way adapter with an Oz plug top you could be plugging in up to 52 amps into a circuit rated at 10-20amps. That is not a good thing, aside from the "nuisance" tripping.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 1:39 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Didn't need to talk to Marty - found one quite easily......
Here's a recall for travel adapter with no shrouding:

Diplomat world travel adapter
Electrical product safety recall
Identification

The recall covers Diplomat brand travel adapters with the model designation “TDA02 World Travel Adapter” (consisting of three separate components). These units were sold in Australia through Target stores since the 20 September 2008.

Safety issue: Electric Shock

The plug pins can be rotated to fit into an Australian socket. These plug pins are not insulated and are a safety risk of electric shock or death.
It is also possible to connect two of the components together and insert them into a live socket with a live pin overhanging. This is an immediate electrical safety risk of electric shock or death.

Action required

Under no circumstances should this product be used. Purchasers of this adapter should return it to a Target Store for a full refund.
bit of a cross between the two adapter problems, although the one from Europe that I mentioned is far worse (design wise and hazard wise) they are both potentially fatal for small fingers, etc

Last edited by lardyl; Aug 30th 2009 at 1:42 pm. Reason: clarify

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.