Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

what worth buying in UK before emigrating??

what worth buying in UK before emigrating??

Old Aug 23rd 2009, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

sybilipicus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what worth buying in UK before emigrating??

Hi All

I have my visa now and emigrating at christmas-our attention has obviously now turned to what to take with us owing to the fact that with the large sales on here etc it might actually be worth buying some things before we go??

We know what furniture etc we're taking but I'm talking more about the smaller day to day items (make up, clothes, shoes, toaster machines, bakeware etc)

Any thoughts appreciated :0)

Thanks
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

kimandken will become famous soon enoughkimandken will become famous soon enough
Default Re: what worth buying in UK before emigrating??

Originally Posted by sybilipicus
Hi All

I have my visa now and emigrating at christmas-our attention has obviously now turned to what to take with us owing to the fact that with the large sales on here etc it might actually be worth buying some things before we go??

We know what furniture etc we're taking but I'm talking more about the smaller day to day items (make up, clothes, shoes, toaster machines, bakeware etc)

Thanks
Hi, I would just buy clothes. In my opinion the clothes are much more stylish and value for money in the UK... so if the sales are on BUY BUY BUY

Kim and Ken
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 9:11 am
Just Joined

gmen30 is an unknown quantity at this point

if you use vitamins bring them as they are so expensive, kids cloths if you have kids of course minstals just because there great-tioletries are expensive here (really any chemist product) makeup,

dont worry about the sun stuff............glasses hats cream ext they are so much better here and cheaper.

thats all i can think for now

hugs g
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

yvonnemidwife will become famous soon enoughyvonnemidwife will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by kimandken
Hi, I would just buy clothes. In my opinion the clothes are much more stylish and value for money in the UK... so if the sales are on BUY BUY BUY

Kim and Ken
Absolutely definateky clothes in sales. Clothes are expensive and not great quality or fasion here. Best thing we did was complete new summer wardrobe for us all before moving. Loads shorts tops swim costumes and few warmer tops for winter not much else needed in qld xxx
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

yvonnemidwife will become famous soon enoughyvonnemidwife will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by gmen30
if you use vitamins bring them as they are so expensive, kids cloths if you have kids of course minstals just because there great-tioletries are expensive here (really any chemist product) makeup,

dont worry about the sun stuff............glasses hats cream ext they are so much better here and cheaper.

thats all i can think for now

hugs g
Oh and definatwly pack a load of extension plugs eg four plugs into one so that you don't have to change every appliance on move in day x
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

SamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to all

Definitely agree with the vitamins, they are pretty dear here. I would also say:

Men - business shirts and suits and if you're into a particular brand, Diesel for example - stock up on jeans. Aftershave is also more expensive.
Women - make up. All the same brands are here, and I find the luxury brands to be much the same price but strangely the cheaper range stuff is quite expensive - Revlon, L'oreal etc. Definitely worth spending all your Boots points before you come! Also - if you're quite short it's worth stocking up on jeans in your leg length (e.g. Topshop) cos they don't sell them like that here. Bra's are also more expensive.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

blackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the rough

Bring perfume, lots of M&S knickers, if you bring furniture I would get a three piece suite, they don`t make em like the UK, as said your fave makeup, and anything you really like, aqnd yes stock up on anything you like in Boots ( thats chemist )

Last edited by blackcountrygirl; Aug 23rd 2009 at 9:57 am. Reason: just forget
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 10:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by yvonnemidwife
Oh and definatwly pack a load of extension plugs eg four plugs into one so that you don't have to change every appliance on move in day x
ooooooooh thats a good one! plugs! adapters! yeah! the only thing is every time someone comesand visits they take tyhem back with them!

oh oh batteries too!
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 10:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by blackcountrygirl
Bring perfume, lots of M&S knickers, if you bring furniture I would get a three piece suite, they don`t make em like the UK, as said your fave makeup, and anything you really like, aqnd yes stock up on anything you like in Boots ( thats chemist )
oh so true, there not quite the same, dont know what it is but your right! i really miss my sofa
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 10:47 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

CHOCOLATE!!!! Pack an entire box! lmao!

Vitamins I agree.. not only are they expensive they are also pretty poor in actual vitamin/mineral content..

Ermm.. what else? Pretty much else you can source over here I think.. err.. yep, bring the big long plugs.. they are handy and after a while you end up with all Australian plugs as you replace things then you just have them around for when you have visitors..

If you want, stock up on books, they can be pretty expensive...

Am trying to put my brain in gear now!?!!

Em x
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 12:59 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

Bring a dyson or two! they are megabucks here..
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

emsy has a brilliant futureemsy has a brilliant futureemsy has a brilliant futureemsy has a brilliant futureemsy has a brilliant futureemsy has a brilliant futureemsy has a brilliant future

Deff agree about books....I had heaps of books in the UK that I left there as thought shipping them was too much hassle/expensive...wish I had bought them over.

Agree with the others really...clothes/make-up/toiletries. Depends what brands you use...things like Vaseline body moisturiser are relatively cheap here for a big bottle, there's not as much choice here either...miss Boots!!!
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

If you have decent furniture then bring it with you.
Books and clothes,clothes, clothes - cannot stress that one enough!
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

ozbound2 has a brilliant futureozbound2 has a brilliant futureozbound2 has a brilliant futureozbound2 has a brilliant futureozbound2 has a brilliant futureozbound2 has a brilliant futureozbound2 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sybilipicus
Hi All

Thanks
Bring saucepans and especially saute pan/frying pan with lid...expensive here. ..definately clothes and furniture..though as houses/rooms tend to be bigger here furniture bought for a uk house can look a bit lost in aussie houses. ..shame you cant bring your uk speed/price broadband with you!!
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 2:30 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yvonnemidwife
Never even thought of that, the 4 way adapters, brilliant idea...really useful thread!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.