"Abandonment" note

Old Dec 19th 2008, 5:05 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "Abandonment" note

Hi:

Every so often there is a discussion of abandonment of permanent resident status -- a very complicated issue.

A lot of posters here have adopted the rubric that an LPR must be "resident" here, not "visiting." Inasmuch as permanent residence is a "status," this has never been quite true. [Lets put it this way, an LPR is eligible for a B-2 visitor visa without compromising their LPR status].

Well, take a look at the headline of the following notice:

http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1229620172131.shtm
Old Dec 19th 2008, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: "Abandonment" note

Interesting. Seems as a LPR, you are now considered a visitor. The idea of extending the US-VISIT checks to include LPRs was floated a couple of years ago and now it looks like they are gonna do it. When you think you already have your fingerprint on the PR card and it's considered a secure document (embedded holograms etc), it all seems a bit silly. It's harder to copy a PR card than to copy a US passport, at least with the older non-RFID ones.

Another good reason to get your Citizenship ASAP I'd say.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 6:26 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Abandonment" note

Thanks for posting that; I just saw this article at cnet thanks to user TimFountain.

Millions of green card holders will be fingerprinted and photographed every time they enter the United States as part of an expansion of a controversial biometric program, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security announced on Thursday.

The expansion of the US-VISIT program to permanent residents--also known as green card holders--takes effect on January 18, 2009. At the moment, the program's biometric requirements apply to foreign citizens with a non-immigrant visa or those traveling as part of the so-called Visa Waiver program.

The program has been controversial. Government auditors have concluded that US-VISIT has "significant information security control weaknesses that place sensitive and personally identifiable information at increased risk of unauthorized and possibly undetected disclosure and modification, misuse, and destruction." Privacy groups have called it the "most elaborate system of identification in the United States."

Some visitors to the U.S. will continue to remain exempt, including non-U.S. citizens younger than 14 or older than 79, as well as Canadian citizens on short-term visits under B visas. US-VISIT stands for United States Visitor and Immigrant Status Indicator Technology.

The Department of Homeland Security has not announced any plans to fingerprint U.S. citizens at the border.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 6:37 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

"Department of Homeland Security: Now Crazier Than Ever! (tm)"
Old Dec 19th 2008, 6:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

So they will check you in, but not check you out? My first thought was that they were looking to keep better track of your departures, but maybe not.

I wonder if the fingerprinting etc will pick up people with 'issues' who might otherwise have got by. Check different data bases?

Another plus for Citizenship.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

I kind of always thought that LPRs were 'visitors' simply because they are not yet citizens and can be sent back to their home land if anything went wrong at the drop of a hat, just like any other visitor.

Last edited by DeanUK2US; Dec 19th 2008 at 7:11 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
So they will check you in, but not check you out? My first thought was that they were looking to keep better track of your departures, but maybe not.

I wonder if the fingerprinting etc will pick up people with 'issues' who might otherwise have got by. Check different data bases?

Another plus for Citizenship.

Who knows? It's possible I suppose for the "dark forces" to find out. There is a proposal to have in place by Jan 2009 the exit procedures:

http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1208186058701.shtm

Although it doesn't mention it applying to LPRs, it does say "international visitors" so you might expect it to apply as well.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 8:13 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit3964
Who knows? It's possible I suppose for the "dark forces" to find out. There is a proposal to have in place by Jan 2009 the exit procedures:

http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1208186058701.shtm

Although it doesn't mention it applying to LPRs, it does say "international visitors" so you might expect it to apply as well.
From the press release Folinskyinla linked to:

"US‑VISIT records biographic and biometric information to conduct security checks and verify the identities of international visitors to the United States. Expanding enrollment in US‑VISIT is a positive step forward in a process designed to further improve public safety and national security while ensuring the integrity of the immigration system. Linking a person’s biometric information to his or her travel documents reduces the risk that a traveler’s identity or documents could be intentionally misused by someone attempting to gain entry into the United States."

On the face of it, this phase, at least, is designed to prevent unlawful entry, not track visitors' exits.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

On the face of it, this phase, at least, is designed to prevent unlawful entry, not track visitors' exits.
So far anyway.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 9:46 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

I just hope it doesn't take them as long to do the fingerprinting as it did for my GC, otherwise the lines are going to be out the door...
Old Dec 19th 2008, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by zargof
I just hope it doesn't take them as long to do the fingerprinting as it did for my GC, otherwise the lines are going to be out the door...
My first set of prints done for Natz took about 6 mins. The second lot done took about 2 mins. Assuming the POE guys are proficient at it, it shouldn't take that long but then again they require all 10 fingerprints, not just one as I think is done for visitors.

if you want a good laugh, here's a link to the the final rule on the expansion of US-VISIT program:

http://www.ilw.com/immigdaily/news/2...2-USVISIT.shtm

I like how they blow off the negative comments, especially on past security checks bit. They consider an LPR to be a potential threat still.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 10:13 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by meauxna
Government auditors have concluded that US-VISIT has "significant information security control weaknesses that place sensitive and personally identifiable information at increased risk of unauthorized and possibly undetected disclosure and modification, misuse, and destruction."
Hi:

ROFL. My good friend Dan Kowalski noted that the published statistics from the Government state that of the 130 million people who have been subject to US-VISIT, the program resulted in 3800 adverse actions. Do the math and see if that is "signifigant" or a good return on investment.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 10:15 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by zargof
Hi:

Actually, the F/P is just an electronic scan of one finger and an electronic photo.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 2:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the 'newer' Green Cards were more secure? I had an old one (no expiration date) and was told I had to replace it with a newer style one; one that had (I thought) security chips, etc, embedded in it. I chose to go the citizenship route instead. So the newer GC's don't meet the needs of this program?

Tee hee - so glad I got my citizenship this month - just 4 months, start to finish!
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 2:59 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I drive to Canada every single day for work............. it will be interesting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.