Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Retirement and MM2H
Reload this Page >

Retiring in Malaysia - Malaysia My Second Home Visa (MM2H)

Retiring in Malaysia - Malaysia My Second Home Visa (MM2H)

Old Jan 2nd 2013, 9:34 am
Just Joined

carolynP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Retiring in Malaysia - Malaysia My Second Home Visa (MM2H)

My husband and I ae seriosuly thinking of applying with the MM2H Program but would like a bit of insight into how easy is it for expats (over the age of 60) to meet other expats.
We are particularily interested in areas of Penang to live in that are not over crowded and has a diversified expat community. We would probably be interested in the rental market as it would give us more flexability. Also any information from expats living in Port Dickson and Butterworth would be appreciated.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 11:53 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Carolyn and welcome to the forum. I am on MM2H and living in Penang. Have you visited Penang before? I guess best idea is to visit, hire a car, and have a look around. It's a busy little island for sure. Not sure I would say it is crowded. Yes there are expats here of your vintage.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

carolynP is an unknown quantity at this point

We were just in Penang for 10days in Dec. and did take a drive around the island. We met up with a friend who is Malaysian and couldn't say enough good things about moving there. But as an expat how do you find living in Penang? Now about the "vintage" part !!!
Would you be able to name a few areas that expats tend to gravitate to live in? We stayed in Batu Ferringi in one of the strip hotels. Again not knowing areas we don't know where to even start to look. Appreciate any assistance.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 11:41 pm
Just Joined

sue allen is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Carolyn,
Good to hear that you like the sound of Penang. The strip of hotels area of Batu Ferringhi is where most Uk people like to stay as it is much away from the noisiy traffic in the town area, although you will have to get used to the sound of the chanting from the mosque dogs barking and motor bikes.
But it is a drive up the hill and you may need a car although not necessary as the buses are now air -conditioned and more reliable unlike 10 years ago.
I met a lovely couple who has a beautiful apartment at the Batu Ferringhi area.Perhaps you like to link up with them on facebook.
The views from their biggish balcony is fantastic, although my ex condo also had the same view although slightly contracted.
I reckon this is a good starting point.
If you do not fancy the drive uphill via the twists and turns, there are some lovely condominiums further down the road where Bakedbean is living and very handy for the shops, fantastic views again of the sea.
I hope these comments help to give you some idea.
i have found the Malaysian expats British or Malaysian origin very varied in their past experiences and unlike the expats in Spain.Just my own personal opinion
Old Jan 4th 2013, 5:26 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I would say that most retired expats live along the "retirement belt" which stretches from Batu Ferringhi (where Sue mentions) through Tanjung Bungah, Tanjung Tokong, Tanjung Pinang/Straits Quay (new area), Gurney Drive and Pulau Tikus. I wrote a long essay last year on the subject. Take a look at this thread below.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=761892

I'll give that thread a little bump Maybe we can talk a bit more on that thread?

As an expat living in Penang, I find it fine. It suits me But, as always, it's horses for courses. We've all got different tastes. What in particular are you thinking about?
Old Feb 12th 2013, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all....

If I were to live in Malaysia on an MM2H visa (provided I can scrape up the cash!!), but work in Singapore, where would I pay income tax?

Thanks for any help!
Old Feb 13th 2013, 1:19 am

I believe you would continue to pay tax on your Singapore work wherever it is that you pay tax now, whether that be Singapore (or Canada? I see you say you are based there).

MM2H is just a long term visa, albeit a good one I think. It isn't Permanent Residency, though some of us (like me) live here full-time. If you want to bring in any money you have earned into Malaysia (after you have paid tax wherever) you can do that without being taxed by Malaysia.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks BB. Bottom line, I'd work and pay tax in S'pore, nothing else to pay in Malaysia?
Old Feb 13th 2013, 1:38 am

I am pretty sure that is correct. I have one friend here on MM2H doing the odd bit of consultancy down in Singapore and he doesn't pay the tax here I'm sure.

Fact is MM2H is just a visa and a lot of folks don't even live here full-time, and some not at all. They just get the visa for future use, which you can do - no problem. Good eh?
Old Feb 15th 2013, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I am pretty sure that is correct. I have one friend here on MM2H doing the odd bit of consultancy down in Singapore and he doesn't pay the tax here I'm sure.

Fact is MM2H is just a visa and a lot of folks don't even live here full-time, and some not at all. They just get the visa for future use, which you can do - no problem. Good eh?
Thanks for the reply BB.

This part of the board is not exactly jumping, is it??

Looks like our transfer to the S'pore office is going ahead.... a million Qs.... where to start?? Eh?
Old Feb 15th 2013, 7:15 am

I don't get any statistics on here but Malaysia section has grown a lot over the last few years and not surprising really. Economy is in good shape and, if you browse through the Malaysia forum, you'll see a lot of folks are moving to this region now for jobs, whereas some other parts of the world are going a tad downhill.

Singapore questions? Fire away in the Singapore section... will keep Ex-Reg and Bocat out of trouble
Old Feb 18th 2013, 4:36 am
Just Joined

ckhl63 is an unknown quantity at this point

I currently work in the Middle East in the UAE. Would it be possible to apply for the MM2H visa while still employed here? I would be able to show bank statements with the deposit of a monthly salary dating back many years.

Otherwise, my 'income' derives from my investments, which I manage myself.
If I sold RM10,000 of shares each month over the past three to six months and transferred the proceeds from the sales to one of my other accounts, would this qualify as 'income'? I would have to use this option to show 'income' if I were to reapply in ten years.

Thank you again for any feedback you could provide.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by ckhl63
I currently work in the Middle East in the UAE. Would it be possible to apply for the MM2H visa while still employed here? I would be able to show bank statements with the deposit of a monthly salary dating back many years.
Yes, absolutely. It's what a lot of people do.

You can call it a Retirement Visa but, technically, it's just a long-term visa and can be used for going in and out of Malaysia - you don't need to be living here at all, though some of us do. Go for it
Old Feb 18th 2013, 4:44 am
Just Joined

ckhl63 is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for such a fast reply. I am thinking a bit down the road to when I am no longer working in the UAE. IN this case, my 'income' derive from my investments, which I manage myself.

If I sold RM10,000 of shares each month over the past three to six months and transferred the proceeds from the sales to one of my other accounts, would this qualify as 'income'? I would have to use this option to show 'income' if I were to reapply in ten years, when I'll be already living in Malaysia and no longer working in the Middle East.

Thank you again for any feedback you could provide.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 4:51 am

I don't know the answer to that. You are also assuming that the same rules for MM2H will apply when you finally retire. That may not be the case. The rules do and have changed over the years.

I understand, from MM2H info site, that they now quite often check with banks to verify income going in. That wasn't the case when we got our MM2H visa and that was only 3 and a bit years ago. Things change.

Take a good look at the government website for answers. The MM2H info site is also a good one as there are those who have already got MM2H, and those currently applying. There are web links in my first post on here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.