Where to retire on Penang island

Old Jun 16th 2012, 9:41 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where to retire on Penang island

For anyone thinking about it.

Penang island is a working island. There’s a lot of industry south of the Penang bridge and quite a few people work in Georgetown too, so it can be a busy little place on the roads sometimes.

I would say that most retirees (both expat and local) tend to choose to live along the “retirement belt” which stretches from Batu Ferringhi in the north-west-ish of the island, to Gurney Drive which is north-east on the island and quite close to Georgetown. Technically Gurney Drive is probably within Georgetown.

Gurney Drive is quite a lively place. It can be a bit noisy so not to everyone’s taste. There’s lots of condos along the seafront and quite a pleasant place to walk along. Lots of eateries along that stretch. Gurney Plaza is a good shopping mall on Gurney Drive. There’s also the new Gurney Paragon shopping mall.

Pulao Tikus, Tanjung Tokong and new designated area Tanjung Pinang are still well within commuting distance for workers so not so quiet places.

Pulao Tikus is a well established area and not too many new properties around there. It has the advantage of having some of the leading private hospitals based there.

Tanjung Tokong has been going through a makeover and not finished yet. A lot of new condos around. It’s a busy place. Island Plaza shopping mall, which has been looking a bit worse for wear, is currently being renovated and we await to see how that will look. Island Plaza has a Cold Storage supermarket in the basement and looks to be staying put (as at June 2012). Loads of eateries, banks, foodcourts around.

Tanjung Pinang is technically part of Tanjung Tokong but now comprises the lovely Straits Quay, which looks oddly Singaporean. Most of Tanjung Pinang has the E&O development Seri Tanjung Pinang which has new condos being built currently, and loads of landed properties. It’s a very nice area and comes at a price too. There’s a new Tesco mall open on Tanjung Pinang too, and a hotel is being built.

Going west from Tanjung Tokong, life starts to get a little sleepier. Tanjung Bungah is a great area, well established and some great history. There’s both new and old condos along the seafront stretch and a couple of hotels. This is also where you’ll find most of the inappropriately named Super-condos. I looked at one a few weeks ago, just out of interest, and I thought the quality was terrible. Plenty of eateries, shops, banks, foodcourts in Tg Bungah. You’ll share with some tourists here. Up in the hills, you have Tanjung Bungah Hillside – another old established area – quite nice.

Batu Ferringhi sprawls around the coast on a windy road. There’s a mix of new and old developments. I used to think I didn’t like Bt Ferringhi but I’ve matured and I kind of like it now. It’s got character. I like the area around Eden Parade – very sleepy and laid back but some nice eateries. Quite a few hotels especially once you get into the centre of Bt Ferringhi, so you’ll be sharing with the tourists sometimes. I think part of the character of Bt Ferringhi is that it is very mixed racially. All of Penang is a mixture, majority Chinese, but Bt Ferringhi seems to have a more even mix of Chinese and Indians and Malay. There’s a big and noisy mosque in the centre of Bt Ferringhi and you will get reminded about it 5 times a day.

I’ve lived up Tg Bungah Hillside, currently live in Tg Tokong, and have leanings towards Tg Bungah and Bt Ferringhi. I like all of it really. If anyone’s got any questions about retired life here, just fire away.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 8:45 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to retire on Penang island

Excellent post, thank you sooo much for sharing.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 1:37 am
Just Joined

Canazon is an unknown quantity at this point

Great post, thanks!
Old Jan 4th 2013, 5:32 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Shamelessly bumping this thread but maybe we can discuss a bit more for those new to Penang, and those considering Penang as a retirement place.

Apart from all the differences mentioned above, you've also got the consideration of what size apartment/house you want and what budget.

You'll find a huge difference in both rental and sales comparing say a small unit in Batu Ferringhi and both flats and houses in Straits Quay/Tanjung Pinang (which is bloody expensive, though very nice).

I think I'm right in saying (someone correct me if I am wrong) that you can get units of around 900 sq ft (pretty small) and somewhat older units in Batu Ferringhi. That may well suit those folks who only want to "winter over" in Penang.

Around Tanjung Bungah, Tanjung Tokong, Gurney Drive, you can find newer condo units with an inbuilt of 1400 sq ft to 2500 sq ft. And then there's the curiously names "supercondos" along Tanjung Bungah beachfront where the sky is the limit.... 6000 sq ft and upwards, for those with a big budget, big families, or lots of friends to invite to stay.

Last edited by bakedbean; Jan 4th 2013 at 5:34 am. Reason: added stuff
Old Jan 4th 2013, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

rossg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello from a very wet Swansea, Sth wales, like living in a monsoon district without the benefit of the heat.
Anyway, to the reason why I am posting on this very timely, informative bump by Bakedbean. (Thank you by the way).

My wife & I are a couple in our 50's considering retiring to Penang on a MM2H visa, therefore we will be doing a recce starting next month.

We will be arriving in Penang Feb 6th & staying in an apartment at Straits Quay for 3 weeks. Looking forward to the CNY & the food.

If there is anybody who would like to meet up for a drink & have their brains picked, (have flipflops will travel). Looking forward to seeing you in Feb.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 1:53 am

Hello and a warm welcome to the forum. February good time to be escaping Wales eh? Straits Quay is good. Only thing with the apartments there is that it can get a bit noisy late evening, or so I have heard. But you'll be in a quiet spot.

Check out the MM2H thread at the top of the Malaysia section, won't you.

I'll put a link to another thread on here later (when I can find it ) There are a group of us MM2Hers who meet up regularly for coffees (every 2 or 3 weeks) so you're most welcome to come and join in. There are also some Makan evenings we do. Next one is Jan 22nd - that's a pity, too early for you.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 7:10 am

If you check out this thread below and see my post # 6 about the support group for MM2Hers.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=780626

There will probably be a coffee meetup in February, most likely after CNY week.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Bakedbean

Support group looks usefull. Look forward to the coffee meetup.

If we do retire to Penang, we will be looking at a long term rental. Part of the holiday will be spent visiting properties on the Island to give us some idea what we will get for our money.

If anyone has recommendations re Estate Agents it would be most appreciated.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

What do you fill your days with once retired?

Fishing?
Golf?
Gym?
Shopping?
Part time work?
Old Jan 6th 2013, 6:50 am

Retirement is strange. Was talking with one of my lady friends the other day, and we just don't always know what we're busy with, but always seem to be busy somehow

For me:
Reading, writing, learning Malay (have lapsed a bit lately), walking (like Straits quay and like the Botanic Gardens), seeing friends, shopping, visiting places in Penang (just been to Kek Lok Si temple for the first time this week), cooking, goofing about on the internet , arranging MM2H meetups, participating in the MM2H support group. So busy lah

There's lots you could add:
Travelling around Malaysia, Travelling around south-east Asia, other sports, hobbies, volunteering....and so on and so forth.......
Old Jan 6th 2013, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

I have been retired since 2006. Six months after I retired we moved to Australia. Lived there for 4 years. Unfortunate circumstances brought us back to the UK, which is too cold & wet. Therefore looking to move to sunnier climes, again.

As for interests, gym most days, read a lot, computers. We both enjoy long walks & photography (Nikon). If we move to Penang, looking forward to seeing a lot of the Far East.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 3:16 am

Hi Ross. As you're up to the magic 3 postings, I think I can PM you now. I'll forward contact details of our property agent who is a reliable and honest lady. Yes there are some honest agents A few of us MM2Hers have used her services. Also just take a look around the internet. Apartment Penang is a good site for general research. You can google and find.
Old Nov 10th 2013, 5:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is rather informative with regards to areas to retire in Penang. Shame it has been lost somewhat over the course of time under the weight of other threads.
Perhaps folk could continue to up date it giving hints on places and changes, prices and good actual recommended apartments to keep in mind?
Old Nov 11th 2013, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

rusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of light

We are in 10 Island Resort and are borderline regretting buying. It was sold as a mid range condo development but has obviously been built on a budget. All of the contract work has obviously gone to whoever submitted the cheapest bid. They, in turn, fabricated materials in the fastest and cheapest way possible, with no quality control whatsoever and employed the cheapest labour to install. As a consequence, the entire development is poorly designed, poorly built, poorly finished and once Ivory have your money, getting faults fixed is like pulling teeth. So, in the context of this thread, I would avoid any IVORY development.
Old Nov 16th 2013, 3:38 am
Just Joined

pearlinpenang is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Hi Ross. As you're up to the magic 3 postings, I think I can PM you now. I'll forward contact details of our property agent who is a reliable and honest lady. Yes there are some honest agents A few of us MM2Hers have used her services. Also just take a look around the internet. Apartment Penang is a good site for general research. You can google and find.
I would like to add that many Expats got fleeced by Agents ( including me) they are not supposed to get ANY money (commissions from you) They can only getit from the OWNER of the Property.

They can't charge BOTH parties!

That is the Malaysian Law for Real Agents.

As soon as I found out that FACT, I emailed my RE agent about it and promptly got the commissions back from her!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.