Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

moving state - case still pending

moving state - case still pending

Old Oct 9th 2008, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

jen1976 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving state - case still pending

hello - my first post here, or on any online boards ever!

i'm currently living in California awaiting an AOS. I've sent forms they have asked for more details i've sent more info and had my bio done, so i expect i am waiting for more requests or an interview.

I have a quick question and i am sure the answer will be guess work (as i have already called imm to ask for advise and they don't know)

- Me and my husband travel a lot due to his work. Next we are either going to move to another part of CA for a while, or Florida for a while - nothing concrete yet, but when we get the call we will be moving quick.

I have the choice to stay put in CA to wait for the interview, or move to other part of CA or Florida (depending on which it ends up being). My concern is TIME and MONEY. I want to get my EAD asap; i don't want to move if moving state/town is just going to add another 3 months onto the processing time. Is it worth my while to stay in put until i get my interview and then move afterward?

I am guessing it doesn't matter if i move now or not as it was processed in the central bureau in texas (i forget the full name) and the interview will take place at a local office. However, guessing and getting it wrong can really hurt us monetary wise.

any info or guesses would be appreciated
Old Oct 9th 2008, 3:14 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving state - case still pending

Originally Posted by jen1976
hello - my first post here, or on any online boards ever!

i'm currently living in California awaiting an AOS. I've sent forms they have asked for more details i've sent more info and had my bio done, so i expect i am waiting for more requests or an interview.

I have a quick question and i am sure the answer will be guess work (as i have already called imm to ask for advise and they don't know)

- Me and my husband travel a lot due to his work. Next we are either going to move to another part of CA for a while, or Florida for a while - nothing concrete yet, but when we get the call we will be moving quick.

I have the choice to stay put in CA to wait for the interview, or move to other part of CA or Florida (depending on which it ends up being). My concern is TIME and MONEY. I want to get my EAD asap; i don't want to move if moving state/town is just going to add another 3 months onto the processing time. Is it worth my while to stay in put until i get my interview and then move afterward?

I am guessing it doesn't matter if i move now or not as it was processed in the central bureau in texas (i forget the full name) and the interview will take place at a local office. However, guessing and getting it wrong can really hurt us monetary wise.

any info or guesses would be appreciated
Welcome to the forum!

USCIS does not have a problem with couples who are apart due to work or school issues. When you say you are going to move "for a while", how long would that be? A few months? A year? Would you guys be keeping your current address as your primary physical address, and returning to it when the CA/FL assignment is over?

If your husband is going out of town for a temporary assignment, keeping your current address as both of your primary address, I'd say stay where you are.

But in your situation, where you are not yet tied down to a job or school, and your husband's move would be permanent (or at least for the duration of this phase of his work), it might make more sense for you to both move together and just do a change of address. If you want to wait there for your EAD to come in, I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem...he can move ahead of you, and you can stay behind to finish up the move (and at the same time wait for your EAD). When it shows up, move to where your husband is, and do the change of address so that your interview will be held where you actually both live.

My alien husband and I live in Arizona, we own our home here. But my husband works most of the time over in California, he stays a few weeks at a time and then comes home for long weekends and holidays. Our primary residence is in Arizona, I have a job here so I stay here full time. He goes to California temporarily to work on assignments, since that's where his clients are located. We have not had a problem with his immigration because of this scenario. All of his immigration appointments have been done in Arizona because that's where he lives.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Oct 9th 2008, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

thanks Rene

Luckily I actually travel with my husband from time to time.

the plan is, there is no plan. I'm guessing that we will be gone for a number of months to a year, either moving back to where we are or moving on somewhere else. we can change our plans according to immigration just so that we can get me working quicker...i am kinda tired with where we are though.

would i be right in thinking that my EAD will come first, before the interview?
Do you know if my 'request to travel' document will arrive before the interview, too?
Old Oct 9th 2008, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

I'm probably going to be in a similar situation come May, assuming I haven't had my interview by then. We plan to move at the end of May 2009, and I'm not expecting to have had my interview by then. I know you have to fill out the change of address form when you move anyway, but I'm hoping when I do that will change the location for the interview.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 5:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know if my 'request to travel' document will arrive before the interview, too?
The AP usually comes within about 60 days of filing AOS. The EAD usually comes about 90 days after filing AOS. If you have an RFE mixed up in there, it can throw those estimates off (making them later).

The AOS interview can come anywhere between a few months to a year or so, depends on your local office backlog.

Rene
Old Oct 9th 2008, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by The_English_Bride
I'm probably going to be in a similar situation come May, assuming I haven't had my interview by then. We plan to move at the end of May 2009, and I'm not expecting to have had my interview by then. I know you have to fill out the change of address form when you move anyway, but I'm hoping when I do that will change the location for the interview.
Just to be on the safe side, if you move while you have a pending case, you should do all of the following:

Complete an AR-11 online.
Sponsor completes an I-865, by the way, mail it in.
Send written notice to your current local office.
Send written notice to your future local office.
Call the 1-800 misinformation line to make sure they have your correct address on record, keep doing this task for several months after moving just to make sure.
Make sure you do the official address change with USPS.
Put your names inside your new physical mailbox.

For more information on getting a successful change of address done during a pending case, do a search on this forum for words "Department of Overkill", posts by meauxna.

If you are at a point where you have no current case pending, you can just do the AR-11 and the I-865.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Oct 9th 2008 at 5:30 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 6:21 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

The EAD and AP (work permit and travel document) are interim benefits---documents meant to tide you over from the time between application and AOS approval (which may come at the interview or not).
They are temporary in nature---only for use until your AOS case is decided.

Your Green Card will be evidence of your right to work and travel in/out of the US.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Just to be on the safe side, if you move while you have a pending case, you should do all of the following:

Complete an AR-11 online.
Sponsor completes an I-865, by the way, mail it in.
Send written notice to your current local office.
Send written notice to your future local office.
Call the 1-800 misinformation line to make sure they have your correct address on record, keep doing this task for several months after moving just to make sure.
Make sure you do the official address change with USPS.
Put your names inside your new physical mailbox.

For more information on getting a successful change of address done during a pending case, do a search on this forum for words "Department of Overkill", posts by meauxna.

If you are at a point where you have no current case pending, you can just do the AR-11 and the I-865.

Rene
Thanks for the Info Rene! I will make a note of these things for when the time comes. Not sure what the I-865 is...i'll have to look that one up!
Old Oct 9th 2008, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

yes, thanks for the information. i'm AOS to perm resident...think i will wait it out and then move when EAD and AP reach me.

Thanks once again