Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

New Residency rules

New Residency rules

Old Jun 28th 2007, 7:02 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Residency rules

The Spanish Ministry of Immigration have published a document entitled “Regulations governing EU citizens in Spain”.

It is available from http://extranjeros.mtas.es/es/Inform...ION_INGLES.pdf

Last edited by Fred James; Aug 3rd 2010 at 11:15 am. Reason: Updated link
Old Jun 28th 2007, 7:07 am
Eve
BE Enthusiast

Eve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud of
Default Re: New Residency rules

Thanks for that, looks a lot of reading but well worth it, if it doesn't tie ones brain in knots!!
Luv Eve
Old Jun 28th 2007, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Fred James
The Spanish Ministry of Immigration have published a document entitled “Regulations governing EU citizens in Spain”.

It is available from http://extranjeros.mtas.es/

If you go to the item “Régimen de los ciudadanos Comunitarios en España” and click on the union flag icon at the bottom, you will get a 7 page PDF document, in English, detailing the new residency requirements and procedures together with a useful FAQ section.
Eh, I always see people talking about changes to the rules. Is this another change or just a place to find the rules?
Old Jun 28th 2007, 7:15 am
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

It is available from http://extranjeros.mtas.es/

If you go to the item “Régimen de los ciudadanos Comunitarios en España” and click on the union flag icon at the bottom, you will get a 7 page PDF document, in English, detailing the new residency requirements and procedures together with a useful FAQ section.

Thanks for that Fred.....even if it does just confirm the bad news!

I think I´m going to pretend I have lost my tarjeta and apply for a new one so that I have TWO. Then I can hand one in when I go to exchange it for the certificate, but still maintain one card (albeit out of date!).
Old Jun 28th 2007, 7:18 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SoJohn
Eh, I always see people talking about changes to the rules. Is this another change or just a place to find the rules?
It is the only official place (that I am aware of) where you can find the rules in English.

The new rules were introduced in April 2007.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

It is the only official place (that I am aware of) where you can find the rules in English.

The new rules were introduced in April 2007.
Thanks, just read through it. Doesn't seem that bad!
Old Jun 28th 2007, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by keithwalters
Thanks for that Fred.....even if it does just confirm the bad news!

I think I´m going to pretend I have lost my tarjeta and apply for a new one so that I have TWO. Then I can hand one in when I go to exchange it for the certificate, but still maintain one card (albeit out of date!).
It would be easier to make a photocopy and show them that when you apply for your certificate in due course.

I dont think you are obliged to surrender the old one - if you do have to, that's the time to say you have lost it!
Old Jun 28th 2007, 7:44 am
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

It would be easier to make a photocopy and show them that when you apply for your certificate in due course.

I dont think you are obliged to surrender the old one - if you do have to, that's the time to say you have lost it!

Ok. Sounds like a plan!
Old Jun 28th 2007, 7:46 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Oh No not [B]more[B] paperwork
Old Jun 28th 2007, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Lis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by keithwalters
Thanks for that Fred.....even if it does just confirm the bad news! I think I´m going to pretend I have lost my tarjeta and apply for a new one so that I have TWO. Then I can hand one in when I go to exchange it for the certificate, but still maintain one card (albeit out of date!).
Unfortunately the police cancel the first one when you report it stolen. I found my tarjeta after I had ordered a new one and kept it on me as a spare thinking like you. Then the police stopped me in the car and I showed the old one to them as ID without thinking. They checked and said I was carrying a stolen card so I had a lot of explaining to do and they weren´t happy at all!
Old Jun 30th 2007, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

Avellana is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Fred for that link.
Why this information isn't on the mir site where you download the application form I don't know!
Old Jun 30th 2007, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Avellana
Thank you Fred for that link.
Why this information isn't on the mir site where you download the application form I don't know!
There are loads of details on the back of the form but of course they are only in Spanish.

I am impressed that they have at least provided info in English on the site I showed but is asking a lot to have the forms in English - they would need to be in all the other EU languages as well.

The biggest problem is that the various police stations do not seem to have read the rules and are giving incorrect information.

In some areas they are saying that you don't need to apply at all and in others they are insisting in photocopies of everything and photos as well.

If you are going to attempt to register my advice would be to take two copies of the application form and passport, a copy of your Padron certificate and two photos - a copy of your pets passport could be useful

There was similar confusion when the new residencia rules were introduced 3 years ago. It will settle down soon.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

We recently applied for our registration certificates as our tarjetas de residencia expired at the end of May.

You're right about different police stations requiring different documents. We had to take up-to-date empadronamiento certificates and copies, passports and copies but were not required to produce photos. We had to return a week later to collect which was straight forward.

I'm putting something together about this new requirement to stick on the noticeboard in the English café in the village. So much easier now I can direct people to the explanatory document in English. Most Brits in my village haven't a clue about any of the laws that apply to them!
Old Jun 30th 2007, 10:09 pm
has got a huge member

Originally Posted by Avellana
We recently applied for our registration certificates as our tarjetas de residencia expired at the end of May.

You're right about different police stations requiring different documents. We had to take up-to-date empadronamiento certificates and copies, passports and copies but were not required to produce photos. We had to return a week later to collect which was straight forward.

I'm putting something together about this new requirement to stick on the noticeboard in the English café in the village. So much easier now I can direct people to the explanatory document in English. Most Brits in my village haven't a clue about any of the laws that apply to them!
Do you know why you had to show your passport if you were already in possession of the tarjeta? My passport will have expired by the time my tarjeta runs out.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

I contacted the police station to ask what we had to bring and the passport was required.

It was only on the return visit when the information was being entered on computer I pointed out that we were applying for permanent residency and the civilian official amended something on screen. The application form wasn't checked when we presented it so I was surprised we hadn't been asked to show our cards.

I don't recall being asked to see our cards even then and we are still in possession of them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.