Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Scandinavia
Reload this Page >

What's wrong with Stockholm? Not much!!!!

What's wrong with Stockholm? Not much!!!!

Old Feb 1st 2012, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

David Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really nice
Default What's wrong with Stockholm? Not much!!!!

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/0...rip/index.html
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of
Default Re: What's wrong with Stockholm? Not much!!!!

I was recently at Stockholm Arlanda Airport waiting for my flight to freedom. There was plenty of time, and so when I was asked whether I would like to fill in a questionnaire about the airport by a blond (natch) ground staff member, I happily complied.

Since these things are designed to prove once again that Sweden is paradise on earth, I was careful to downgrade all of my answers. When I handed in the form to the girl, she asked me (by the way all of this conversation was in Swedish) if I had anything spontaneous to say about the airport.

'Oh yes, it's like Sweden in a nutshell,' I said.

Her face lit up. 'How do you mean?'

(mods, translation follows)

'Det är kallt, kargt, ovänligt, ogästvänligt och oinformativt'.

(It's cold, bare, unfriendly, inhospitable and uninformative.)

Blackie
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 9:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Are there no blonde babes in Stockholm?

Just wondering.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

David Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really niceDavid Armstrong is just really nice

Hi Alfresco
Yes we have plenty of your typical of "Swedish Blond" stereo types here as well.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

And they're all called Fatima
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by David Armstrong
Hi Alfresco
Yes we have plenty of your typical of "Swedish Blond" stereo types here as well.
Ooh la la!

Enjoy!
Old Feb 8th 2012, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

What's wrong with Stockholm? Not much

that a one way ticket outta there wouldn't cure
Old Feb 8th 2012, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Cool Re: What's wrong with Stockholm? Not much!!!!

Now now Blackladder, settle down, only 10 months to go!
Old Feb 14th 2012, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

Frogsters is an unknown quantity at this point

Any tips on making sense of the language? So hard to learn guys...!
Old Mar 6th 2012, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

Northerner-in-STHLM is an unknown quantity at this point

Tips for learning the language ?
  • Jump in the deep end ! Try, try, try.
  • Sign up for SFI when you get here (Swedish for immigrants = svenska för invandare)
  • Don't be afraid of making mistakes/a fool of yourself.
  • Don't let people speak English with you (everyone likes to practise their English skills)
  • I bought a "teach yourself Swedish" book (with tapes) a couple of months before I moved over. Studying that gave me a good start.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 8:01 am
Just Joined

Frogsters is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Northerner in Stockholm! There will be another one there soon then

I have a CD and book I am using as well as some bits from the Net and overdoses of Wallander and other Swedish series, it is quite addictive I have found! Yes, stopping people speaking to me in English might be difficult but I ll try. Making a fool of myself is not a problem, so that should be ok, I already know I sound like a Norwegian apparently anyway...!
Good luck with your adventure as well