Sweden or not?

Old Dec 28th 2014, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Annabel12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sweden or not?

Originally Posted by Michellemadisson
Well said Annabel ! I see that you seem to agree with most of what I said earlier and more! Just as every expat Ive met or spoken to regarding Sweden and the Swedes.
It kinda shows everyone here Im not a crazy person on a rant
Haha cheers ☺
Old Dec 29th 2014, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Watching the Swedish version of "Wallander" has put me off any thought of even visiting !
Old Dec 30th 2014, 12:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annabel12
Hej Braulio!
First of all I don't get what this guy Bamse is doing here - don't listen to him as he's Swedish and he'd never say the word of critique about this country (brainwashed from young age as someone mentioned before).
So after 18 months here I can say that:
- you'll freeze there. I'm not coping with -20 living in central Sweden, head more to the South
- yes you need personnumer, it takes about a year to get it, before that you don't exist in the system
- you won't get even cleaning job without Swedish
- you won't get personnumer without proper job or own business
- food is actually good but the quality of fresh friuts and vegs is disastrous
- people are stiff and have no sense of humour whatsoever.
- nature is amazing
- you'll be a subject of intensive muslim propaganda dressed up as anti-rasism
- it surely is better place to work/run business then UK but you gotta be really determined
- if you're a social person it will be even harder as you won't make any friends and you'll not want to make any
- customer service is below any standards
- the way Swedes treat pets/animals is shocking
- you have to keep your opinions to yourself
- whatever you say has to be politically correct
That first few things that come to my mind.
And @Bamse - yes indeed nobody forces me to be here so I'm off to some truly civilised place as soon as I milk enough money for my early retirement, I'm counting days!
Let's face it, neither Sweden or France are places to go to if you don't speak the language and both countries have their faults, just like any other country. It always surprises me that people complain about the weather and culture, but they knew where Sweden was on the map Funny enough the French are less open to English than the Swedes I wouldn't want to live in Sweden or France, but I doubt that everything will be perfect in France if Sweden isn't civilised for someone. By the way, even Fig trees, Apricot trees, Plum trees, Peach trees, Grape vines grow in the UK and if you move to France, be aware that it's not always warm and sunny. I'm sure plenty of members can help you in the France section, but those cheap stone houses aren't always bargains and planning and taxes can be a nightmare there too.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Let's face it, neither Sweden or France are places to go to if you don't speak the language and both countries have their faults, just like any other country. It always surprises me that people complain about the weather and culture, but they knew where Sweden was on the map Funny enough the French are less open to English than the Swedes I wouldn't want to live in Sweden or France, but I doubt that everything will be perfect in France if Sweden isn't civilised for someone. By the way, even Fig trees, Apricot trees, Plum trees, Peach trees, Grape vines grow in the UK and if you move to France, be aware that it's not always warm and sunny. I'm sure plenty of members can help you in the France section, but those cheap stone houses aren't always bargains and planning and taxes can be a nightmare there too.
What makes you thinking that I don't speak Swedish?
What makes you thinking that I wouldn't learn French?
Of course there's no place in the world that is abolutely perfect in every way but some of them are better for individual and some of them are worse, also sometimes we gotta choose better option. If British economy wouldn't change for worse I'd never leave UK in first place as I loved it there but life's not only about what we like. I moved to Sweden for a better standard of life now and in the future, it was concious decision and I don't regret it but it doesn't mean that I have to love it here and stay forever. This is only temporary solution to achieve what I want to achieve, end off.
There's nothing wrong with having an opinion - at least coming here wasn't a great shock to me as I knew all those things from this forum, that's it's purpose in case you haven't noticed.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

What makes you thinking that I don't speak Swedish?
What makes you thinking that I wouldn't learn French?
Of course there's no place in the world that is abolutely perfect in every way but some of them are better for individual and some of them are worse, also sometimes we gotta choose better option. If British economy wouldn't change for worse I'd never leave UK in first place as I loved it there but life's not only about what we like. I moved to Sweden for a better standard of life now and in the future, it was concious decision and I don't regret it but it doesn't mean that I have to love it here and stay forever. This is only temporary solution to achieve what I want to achieve, end off.
There's nothing wrong with having an opinion - at least coming here wasn't a great shock to me as I knew all those things from this forum, that's it's purpose in case you haven't noticed.
I never said you don't speak Swedish. I just thought it's clear that if someone (not you) wants to move to Sweden, Germany, France they need to learn the language. You said you can't cope with the cold winters, but why go to central Sweden then? I'm sure people who pick central Sweden as a location know that it can get cold, just like people who move to Dubai know it gets hot. Many of the points you mentioned could be related to France too, so why say you are off to a more civilised place? You also said that if you're a social person it will be even harder, as you won't make any friends and you'll not want to make any. I think that's a bit harsh and there are plenty of people who moved to Sweden and have friends.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I never said you don't speak Swedish. I just thought it's clear that if someone (not you) wants to move to Sweden, Germany, France they need to learn the language. You said you can't cope with the cold winters, but why go to central Sweden then? I'm sure people who pick central Sweden as a location know that it can get cold, just like people who move to Dubai know it gets hot. Many of the points you mentioned could be related to France too, so why say you are off to a more civilised place? You also said that if you're a social person it will be even harder, as you won't make any friends and you'll not want to make any. I think that's a bit harsh and there are plenty of people who moved to Sweden and have friends.
-20 is not normal Winter temp here and frankly locals took it as bad (but it's over! ☺)
I was in France only as a tourist but imo it's not much different then other European countries therefore it's more civilised then Sweden.
Maybe I am a bit harsh but Sweden is harsh and it's not only my opinion - we have many Dutch people here and they are even less impressed then me. They also don't have Swedish friends and keep themselves to themselves. Of course I have to function here normally for the next 10-15 years so I am becoming a part of society just like the other expats - we run businesses here - but those negative opinions have their reasons and there's no point to deny it. I believe that everyone copes with it on their own way - my way is to not allow Sweden in my house and I don't think it does any harm to anyone. Each to their own.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh! It seems that Sweden must have changed a lot since I spent a month or so backpacking around the place fifty years ago (yes, I am that old!) - and a couple of weeks working near Sodertalya. I have extremely fond memories of the country and its people. Last summer I went back for three or four days - to just outside Stockholm - and it was very pleasant. Those visits didn't change my perception of the country, I have to say. My son's Norwegian ex-girlfriend lives and works in Stockholm, and he used to work there. No down-votes from either of them. It can't be all bad!
Old Dec 30th 2014, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Gosh! It seems that Sweden must have changed a lot since I spent a month or so backpacking around the place fifty years ago (yes, I am that old!) - and a couple of weeks working near Sodertalya. I have extremely fond memories of the country and its people. Last summer I went back for three or four days - to just outside Stockholm - and it was very pleasant. Those visits didn't change my perception of the country, I have to say. My son's Norwegian ex-girlfriend lives and works in Stockholm, and he used to work there. No down-votes from either of them. It can't be all bad!
My husband was over the moon with Sweden when he was coming here for a holiday - now he's way more dissapointed then me (actually he hates it). Of course it's not all bad but it's worse life style then in UK and people are not as nice, that's all I'm saying.
edit: Norwegians quite like it as they see Swedes as more friendly and Stockholm is like any other big city in Europe, it's not real Sweden.

Last edited by Annabel12; Dec 30th 2014 at 4:27 pm.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

I should've said too that I like the Swedish language - what I recall of it. Even today, these fifty years later, I can read it more easily than I can Norwegian, which I have tried to learn (to speak and read) for the sake of my Norskie granddaughters. My son and the former girlfriend found that they could be understood comfortably enough in Stockholm speaking Norwegian. Of course that might have been the big-city tolerance coming into play. As you say, Annabel, capital cities aren't representative of their whole countries.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

I should've said too that I like the Swedish language - what I recall of it. Even today, these fifty years later, I can read it more easily than I can Norwegian, which I have tried to learn (to speak and read) for the sake of my Norskie granddaughters. My son and the former girlfriend found that they could be understood comfortably enough in Stockholm speaking Norwegian. Of course that might have been the big-city tolerance coming into play. As you say, Annabel, capital cities aren't representative of their whole countries.
In my eyes those 2 languages are very similar and I understand both, same as Swedes but it might be because I live near the border and local dialect is a mix of both. Norwegians speak faster though! ☺
Old Dec 30th 2014, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

In my eyes those 2 languages are very similar and I understand both, same as Swedes but it might be because I live near the border and local dialect is a mix of both. Norwegians speak faster though! ☺
Some of the Norwegian regions have the same up-and-down lilting as I recall falling in love with in Sweden - like the Welsh accent. Very attractive!
Old Dec 30th 2014, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

Some of the Norwegian regions have the same up-and-down lilting as I recall falling in love with in Sweden - like the Welsh accent. Very attractive!
I can't stand it lol But I'm getting used to it! 😀
Old Dec 30th 2014, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

I can't stand it lol But I'm getting used to it! 😀
Oh dear! I remember when my younger granddaughter was five or six (?) correcting my pronunciation of Jule. "Youluh", I said. "No, no! Yewwelle-eh" - in four syllables, I swear. Cripes! I never have got it right, to her satisfaction. Her mother is from Kristiansand.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Oh dear! I remember when my younger granddaughter was five or six (?) correcting my pronunciation of Jule. "Youluh", I said. "No, no! Yewwelle-eh" - in four syllables, I swear. Cripes! I never have got it right, to her satisfaction. Her mother is from Kristiansand.
I'm able to make those silly sounds if I want to but I don't so I happily sport my foreign accent and no melody - if I wanted to sing I'd go to karaoke night Funnily enough I'm being understood well and told how good is my Swedish frequently! Those bastards know their language comes from hell, no doubt about it (but I gotta admit is much easier then Finnish - this one I wouldn't even try!)
Old Dec 31st 2014, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

-20 is not normal Winter temp here and frankly locals took it as bad (but it's over! ☺)
I was in France only as a tourist but imo it's not much different then other European countries therefore it's more civilised then Sweden.
Maybe I am a bit harsh but Sweden is harsh and it's not only my opinion - we have many Dutch people here and they are even less impressed then me. They also don't have Swedish friends and keep themselves to themselves. Of course I have to function here normally for the next 10-15 years so I am becoming a part of society just like the other expats - we run businesses here - but those negative opinions have their reasons and there's no point to deny it. I believe that everyone copes with it on their own way - my way is to not allow Sweden in my house and I don't think it does any harm to anyone. Each to their own.
Well nobody can predict the weather, but you kind of know that it can get cold in winter. Maybe Sweden's not for you, but many people have this vision of
France too, that you get up in the morning and walk through a quiet village with a baguette in your hand. It's not always like that, especially if you need a job and those cheap stone houses can be planning nightmares. For some people it works, but if you don't find Sweden civilised, I don't think France will be much easier. You can go to any country and will find people who aren't impressed, but there is a boat in the morning. I'm sure there are many foreigners in the UK who hate the UK, but I ask myself why they came. If you don't like Sweden, why waste another 10-15 years of your life over there? If you are willing to stay for the next 10-15 years, then Sweden can't be that bad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.