Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Scandinavia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Denmark - Need Advice

Moving to Denmark - Need Advice

Old Apr 18th 2013, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

Nicoabb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Denmark - Need Advice

Hello there ladies and gentleman my name is Nico and i am currently 18 years of age and reside in the United Kingdom (Have done all my life)

Now the current situation i am in is that i plan to move to Denmark to live with my beautiful girlfriend and we have a few worries and questions on what to do.

Now of course before i move there i will need a plan of some kind which involves income, learning the language and maybe even studying. From the beginning of this idea i have already decided i will be learning the language of course as it will be required at a later date and like i said i will need to find something to gain income with.

My question to you is there any place i could go study where i could earn income? (I'm particularly interested in film) Or even a job that will only require me to speak English just for starters so i can earn something to help pay with things.

Any help or advice on what to do would be much appreciated, thank you.
Old May 15th 2013, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

amyyma is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Denmark - Need Advice

Hey Nico,

I moved to Copenhagen 3 months ago from London (but am Irish).

It's great that you're moving with your girlfriend, many are in a situation like yours and its so much easier to integrate and feel accepted when you have a Dane around (not to mention they can translate for you!).

All Danish education is free, which is amazing, and basic wages are very generous.

I'm studying a short course in English, in carpentry and woodwork. It's pretty unique in Denmark and the facilities are amazing.

http://www.kts.dk/rodovre/index.asp?afd=21&sid=2640

It's only 6 months, it's easy, and people are lovely.

Without Danish, you'd be looking at a bar or waiter job at first, really. It sounds funny but without Danish you could not even work in a supermarket or McDonalds.

There are some other short courses, and I'm sure you could do one in film, photography or any other creative medium, but you'll almost certainly need at least basic Danish to get by, so my advice in moving over is to get a CPR number as soon as possible, register with Studie Skolan for lessons (they're the best), get a bar job, and just get learning Danish.

Best of luck!
Old Jun 12th 2013, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Rasmus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Denmark - Need Advice

Hi Nico. Amyyma is right about the need for some language skills, to get a job with customer contact. But apart from bar-work, a lot of service sector jobs are filled by people learning the language.

One of the better ones is being a temporary postman. They even have a job site in English. Otherwise cleaning is the obvious choice. ISS is a global service employer, based in Denmark. Their job site is in Danglish.

Best thing to do is to check the listings, and call the employer. Very few Danes don't speak English, so if you underline the fact that you need a job while you are learning the language, I imagine they will be accommodating.

You should also mention being from the UK, and having a Danish girlfriend. Danes may be multilingual, but the third largest political party is the political equivalent of the BNP ;-)

Enjoy!
Rasmus
Danish expat.