Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Scandinavia
Reload this Page >

Moving To Denmark - Any Advice?

Moving To Denmark - Any Advice?

Old Sep 9th 2012, 1:19 pm
edp
Forum Regular

edp is just really niceedp is just really niceedp is just really niceedp is just really niceedp is just really niceedp is just really niceedp is just really niceedp is just really nice
Default Re: Moving To Denmark - Any Advice?

I read somewhere that a sure way to annoy a dane is to try and speak Danish. I understand that Danish is probably harder than other Scandinavian languages because of the mumbling pronunciation. I know in Sweden that ultimately you need to speak Swedish but i wonder if its so in Denmark where its said that the extent of English is greater. In my experiene Danish people are a bit more like English people than Swedes - not so stern, more ready to laugh at life. But I don't know so many. I think that there is a Swedish stereotype that Danes are sexually loose and drink more often!
Old Sep 9th 2012, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: North Kessock, Ross-shire Scotland and Treignac France
Scots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to all

It would appear that the Swedes have problems with the danish language.
Danes can understand the sweedes quite easily.

My father took it as a compliment when the danes asked if he was a swede because he was over pronouncing his words.

At the annual Sankta Lucia service at our church in Inverness(Swedish festival with candles), I introduced a Danish advent carol. The swedes were no better than the Scots.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

mempting is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm looking for advice as well but from a slightly different angle. Did any of you move from the United States to Denmark? My wife is a Dane and I'm a US citizen. We're trying to get info on if it's even possible for us to emigrate there and we've come up empty trying to get info from the Danish Gov't. We've heard the immigration laws are tough so for us, the first thing is to see if it's even possible at this time and what we would have to do first. My wife really wants to go back to Denmark and we both think it would be a better place to raise our children. Any advice or info on what you had to do would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Old Dec 16th 2012, 11:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Get an EHIC hefore you go ! From the FREE NHS site - not from one of the "pirate" sites!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=767231

Last edited by scot47; Dec 16th 2012 at 11:58 pm.