Moving to Denmark

Old Jun 3rd 2013, 9:30 am
Just Joined

bockmuu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Denmark

Hi There,

Well we have decided to relocate to Denmark from the UK 8-) that is myself, My Wife and 11 Daughter just need help with a couple of questions please...

Who do i need to contact in relation to school for my Daughter?

Do we need any Visas? we are all British Citizens?

Are we allowed to take my daughters pet rabbits?

oops forgot to mention we are goingto the Hobro area of denmark so that my wife can be near her 3 sisters and family...

I am a Cisco engineer and hoping it wont be to hard to find work?

All the Best

Daz
Old Jun 11th 2013, 7:04 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Denmark

Originally Posted by bockmuu
Hi There,

Well we have decided to relocate to Denmark from the UK 8-) that is myself, My Wife and 11 Daughter just need help with a couple of questions please...

Who do i need to contact in relation to school for my Daughter?

Do we need any Visas? we are all British Citizens?

Are we allowed to take my daughters pet rabbits?

oops forgot to mention we are goingto the Hobro area of denmark so that my wife can be near her 3 sisters and family...

I am a Cisco engineer and hoping it wont be to hard to find work?

All the Best

Daz
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Sorry for the late reply.

Not really sure how it works in Denmark, my experience in living in Scandinavia is limited to Sweden.

You will not need visa's, but you will need to let some agency know you have arrived.

In theory, you would need to contact the "local" school for your area and arrange an appointment.

Rabbits are no problem as far as I am aware.

Good luck finding a job! I was a business development manager for IBM in the UK and I ended up washing dishes in a restaurant run by the Yugoslav mafia. But it was good fun while it lasted. I had no chance getting any IT work, due to my poor Swedish.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Rasmus is an unknown quantity at this point

• School
    Should be relatively easy, depending on your daughters knowledge of Danish. Hobro is very far from "civilization", so the nearest international school is more than 100 km away. List of international schools in Denmark.

If your daughter is fluent in Danish, you can pick whichever school you would like. The easiest is to phone the school, and let them guide you through the process. Most likely you will just have to submit a form to the local municipality, and that will be all.

To help you choose, ask locals. You could look at this data from right wing think tank CEPOS, detailing grade point averages by schools. Though the data is legitimate, the usability is however questionable.
  • Finding work
    You will need some dedication, as Hobro is very rural. You can search Danish job sites. Hobro is in the area called "Nordjylland", but you could also give "Midtjylland" a try. Nord = north, midt = middle. Engineer is the same word, only spelled ingeniør.

A quick search for "cisco" in Midtjylland gave these results.
  • Rabbit
    There is no restriction on importing a rabbit from another EU-country, as long as the pet is travelling with you, and there is no active epidemia of myxometosis or similar diseases. The rules is explained on this site in Danish and this site in English (with contact information). The relevant authority is Fødevarestyrelsen under the Danish Veterinary and Food Administration.

Be advised that you might want to mention the rabbit, when purchasing Danish insurance. The ownership of some pets is subject to strict liability, thus liability insurance is compulsory. To my knowledge this is applied to dogs, but it is worth mentioning. Damage done to own property by pets is rarely covered by standard home insurance.

Enjoy the country!
Rasmus
Danish expat :-)
Old Jul 26th 2013, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

sriraksha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rasmus
  • School
    Should be relatively easy, depending on your daughters knowledge of Danish. Hobro is very far from "civilization", so the nearest international school is more than 100 km away. List of international schools in Denmark.

If your daughter is fluent in Danish, you can pick whichever school you would like. The easiest is to phone the school, and let them guide you through the process. Most likely you will just have to submit a form to the local municipality, and that will be all.

To help you choose, ask locals. You could look at this data from right wing think tank CEPOS, detailing grade point averages by schools. Though the data is legitimate, the usability is however questionable.
  • Finding work
    You will need some dedication, as Hobro is very rural. You can search Danish job sites. Hobro is in the area called "Nordjylland", but you could also give "Midtjylland" a try. Nord = north, midt = middle. Engineer is the same word, only spelled ingeniør.

A quick search for "cisco" in Midtjylland gave these results.
  • Rabbit
    There is no restriction on importing a rabbit from another EU-country, as long as the pet is travelling with you, and there is no active epidemia of myxometosis or similar diseases. The rules is explained on this site in Danish and this site in English (with contact information). The relevant authority is Fødevarestyrelsen under the Danish Veterinary and Food Administration.

Be advised that you might want to mention the rabbit, when purchasing Danish insurance. The ownership of some pets is subject to strict liability, thus liability insurance is compulsory. To my knowledge this is applied to dogs, but it is worth mentioning. Damage done to own property by pets is rarely covered by standard home insurance.

Enjoy the country!
Rasmus
Danish expat :-)
HI
Which part of Denmark have most number of English speaking jobs ? And how long it can take to get a FULL time job in cities like Copenhagen, Aarhus, Odense, Aalborgb, Frederiksberga?

Last edited by sriraksha; Jul 26th 2013 at 5:01 am.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 9:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sriraksha
HI
Which part of Denmark have most number of English speaking jobs ? And how long it can take to get a FULL time job in cities like Copenhagen, Aarhus, Odense, Aalborgb, Frederiksberga?
I would imagine Copenhagen has most English speaking jobs. Frederiksberg & Copenhagen is basically the same city. It's like the City of Westminster and London. One is geographically contained in the other.

The time spend finding employment is relative. What are you looking for, what are your wage demands, what is your background etc. Some of it is covered in this thread.

Finding work
Unskilled labour
There is no legislative minimum wage in Denmark, as this is regulated by collective agreements. However "low wages" are fairly high, compared to other European countries. As an example, the British minimum wage is 6.31 £ / hr, and the largest collective agreement in Denmark sets it at 14.50 £ / hr.

There has recently been a debate regarding Danish labourers on benefits, who are free to decline jobs paying the Danish minimum. Thus those jobs go to ex-pats. So if you're looking for manual labour, and you are willing to accept 14.50 £ / hr, it might be fairly easy.

Skilled labour / office work
If you're looking for more challenging work, there are good links in the other thread. Or you could check out the listings at the international companies in your field of expertise, who are based in Denmark.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

I would imagine Copenhagen has most English speaking jobs. Frederiksberg & Copenhagen is basically the same city. It's like the City of Westminster and London. One is geographically contained in the other.

The time spend finding employment is relative. What are you looking for, what are your wage demands, what is your background etc. Some of it is covered in this thread.

Finding work
Unskilled labour
There is no legislative minimum wage in Denmark, as this is regulated by collective agreements. However "low wages" are fairly high, compared to other European countries. As an example, the British minimum wage is 6.31 £ / hr, and the largest collective agreement in Denmark sets it at 14.50 £ / hr.

There has recently been a debate regarding Danish labourers on benefits, who are free to decline jobs paying the Danish minimum. Thus those jobs go to ex-pats. So if you're looking for manual labour, and you are willing to accept 14.50 £ / hr, it might be fairly easy.

Skilled labour / office work
If you're looking for more challenging work, there are good links in the other thread. Or you could check out the listings at the international companies in your field of expertise, who are based in Denmark.
HI
Thanks a ton for giving such a valuable Information. Basically, I am looking for any kind of Administrative or an Office job until I get a decent job related to my Engineering background.
I heard from my aunt that wages for normal jobs vary between 110 to 130 krone. Only drawback is paying more than 40% in taxes which will make one to earn more in order to save more, as most of the earnings go into taxes.
Could you please let me know how much transportation costs in Denmark, is it better to initially buy a pre-owned car or depend on public transport. only thing I am aware of is the high amount of taxes on fuel.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 7:15 am
Just Joined

I am looking for any kind of Administrative or an Office job until I get a decent job related to my Engineering background.
I think you'd be better off looking for an engineering job. They are more likely to have English as a working language, and you'd get a better foothold on the job market.

I heard from my aunt that wages for normal jobs vary between 110 to 130 krone.
Myeah, as I said, the minimum wage for unskilled workers is 125 kr. 40 pct. tax is a dream scenario. The Danish taxes are the highest in the world, and you will be paying 25 pct. VAT on food, books and other basic commodities.

Could you please let me know how much transportation costs in Denmark, is it better to initially buy a pre-owned car or depend on public transport. only thing I am aware of is the high amount of taxes on fuel.
Cars are not done in Denmark, so public transport would always be the way to go. Get a bike :-) Public transport has better coverage and lower prices than the UK (apart from London), and since the 60's, there has been a political vandetta towards car owners.

I am in no way condoning this mad policy, but merely informing about the massive cultural difference between the UK and most of the small European countries. A similar problem is covered in this thread.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

I think you'd be better off looking for an engineering job. They are more likely to have English as a working language, and you'd get a better foothold on the job market.

Myeah, as I said, the minimum wage for unskilled workers is 125 kr. 40 pct. tax is a dream scenario. The Danish taxes are the highest in the world, and you will be paying 25 pct. VAT on food, books and other basic commodities.

Cars are not done in Denmark, so public transport would always be the way to go. Get a bike :-) Public transport has better coverage and lower prices than the UK (apart from London), and since the 60's, there has been a political vandetta towards car owners.

I am in no way condoning this mad policy, but merely informing about the massive cultural difference between the UK and most of the small European countries. A similar problem is covered in this thread.
Hi sorry for replying late.

You are right. I'll make sure my car in Denmark has only two wheels....

considering the big amount of taxes, and vat on food. does anyone really gets an opportunity at least to save for a holiday ? ?

I am just bothered about the initial time passing on by working in any sector until getting a decent job.

I assume Denmark is comparatively expensive than the UK.

and Is work experience obtained from the UK, considered in Denmark ? or Danes reckon Local work experience (even for blue/pink collar jobs ).
Old Aug 1st 2013, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

considering the big amount of taxes, and vat on food. does anyone really gets an opportunity at least to save for a holiday?
Well, both collective agreements, and legislation covering the rest of the work force, guarantees paid vacation. And as you might expect in a totalitarian regime, there is even a governmentally administered compulsary vacation saving scheme.

Is work experience obtained from the UK, considered in Denmark ? or Danes reckon Local work experience (even for blue/pink collar jobs ).
Work experience is work experience. Often international experience is a plus.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

DanishHopeful is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Moving to Denmark

Hi,

Firstly, this site provides very helpful content and thanks for giving such valuable information.
Also RASMUS posts are very useful and gives every detail of Denmark.
At the moment I am planning to emigrate to Denmark. so for this reason I would like to request you to brief me on few aspects on Denmark.
1. Could you please tell me how the jobs are in Denmark and I am flexible in working any kind of job provided I can save enough at the end of the day.
2. Also is it mandate to have danish language skill for acquiring jobs.
3. I just want to lead a better life when compared to the current standards in my country. so any information with respect to jobs and earnings in denmark will be helpful for me. I look forward for your reply.

With Regards,
Denmark-hopeful

Last edited by DanishHopeful; Aug 27th 2013 at 3:03 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 6:35 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DanishHopeful
Hi,

Firstly, this site provides very helpful content and thanks for giving such valuable information.
Also RASMUS posts are very useful and gives every detail of Denmark.
At the moment I am planning to emigrate to Denmark. so for this reason I would like to request you to brief me on few aspects on Denmark.
1. Could you please tell me how the jobs are in Denmark and I am flexible in working any kind of job provided I can save enough at the end of the day.
2. Also is it mandate to have danish language skill for acquiring jobs.
3. I just want to lead a better life when compared to the current standards in my country. so any information with respect to jobs and earnings in denmark will be helpful for me. I look forward for your reply.

With Regards,
Denmark-hopeful
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Are you coming from a Non EU country? If so, what visa do you think you can obtain?

What are your skills/education/career?

Could you please tell me how the jobs are in Denmark and I am flexible in working any kind of job provided I can save enough at the end of the day.
This will indicate that you would be looking at minimum wage type work?

You will find people will answer your questions if you are (much) more specific.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

DanishHopeful is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Moving to Denmark

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Are you coming from a Non EU country? If so, what visa do you think you can obtain?

What are your skills/education/career?

This will indicate that you would be looking at minimum wage type work?

You will find people will answer your questions if you are (much) more specific.
Hi,
I am from a third world country, studied and worked in the UK for few years. and relocated back to my home country. At the moment looking for Denmark Green Card Visa, for better career prospects & earnings.
I have a Master of Science(MSc) in Mechanical engineering from the UK, apart from my education I also worked for various companies both in the retail and the manufacturing sectors, involving in several positions.
Basically I am looking for any type of work, which has a standard pay rate and which can be easily secured without Danish proficiency. So, is this possible at all ?

with regards,