Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Scandinavia
Reload this Page >

Help! need advice on living in Scandinavia possibly

Help! need advice on living in Scandinavia possibly

Old May 3rd 2012, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

glasgowceltic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help! need advice on living in Scandinavia possibly

Hi Im considering living and working In Scandinavia in the next few weeks possibly but looking for advice regards quality of living, things to do, live and work. Im looking to work in hospitality with bar experience on my resume. I am a u.k citizen and just want a change now at 30. Im looking for somewhere i would enjoy living etc. I dont know the languages but would try and pick up as go along.

Any advice would be most appreciated as would other destinations if anyone has suggestions.

Thank you Johnny
Old May 3rd 2012, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Help! need advice on living in Scandinavia possibly

I live in Oslo so can only give you advice from here.

I know people who work in bars and do not speak the language. You'll earn enough to survive if you get a full time job, there are a number of Irish pubs in town, as well as 1 or 2 english pubs. When I say english pubs, I mean that in the least literal sense possible...its a norwegian version of a british pub which is in fact quite poor.

As for quality of life, it's pretty decent. Pay is quite nice for menial jobs, i.e cleaners taking home about £30k if they are full time, etc. It's costly to live here, but having done the math..I find I'm paying more for some, and equal or less for other things. Food is always a sticking point here, shops have pretty poor selection, prices are not far off from the UK..but shopping in the asian shops, I save a few kroner here and there.

Personally, I would not advice living outside a major city. Oslo, Bergen, Trondheim and Stavanger. Oslo and Stavanger are probably your best bet, one is the capitol, the other is the oil capitol. Both quite affluent places with rapidly growing populations and wealth. Bergen is a lovely place, but more of a tourist spot than the two previous. Trondheim is nice and laidback, but dominated in my mind as more of a student town. There are other options to look at like hotels in the countryside or in the mountains..not sure how they are faring, but you do get a fair few tourists popping over. Language might be more of barrier outside of the cities though. Here in Oslo, there are loads of people who are non native norwegians..the highest immigrant groups being swedes and poles, followed by pakistanis and iraq's I think..or maybe somali's. But I have met people from all around the world, a massive influx of greeks and spaniards..not come across any brits yet, socially at least. But I am not here to meet english people, would have stayed at home if I was.

Things to do, we're about the same age..we socialize with friends, very often at each others homes...occasionally go out, but that's quite expensive. Norwegians are very outdoorsy type people and will set off into the mountains to their cabins if they have one, or take their boats out if they have one during summer.

Compared to the UK, life her, and I cannot stress this enough, is exceptionally laid back. It might be viewed as laziness, but in my mind, its about enjoying your time. Very generous holidays and holiday pay. Even here in the capitol, life just seems to float by..it's nice weather too at the moment and sitting in a park watching it all go by is rather lovely.

There are downsides of course, it does feel very isolated here at times. People are hard to get to know, but once you crack the shell, it seems you have friends for life. Don't misunderstand their mistrust or cold shoulder at first as arrogance though, its just a very private nature of society here..everyone is used to growing up with so much space and so less people. Everywhere is relatively quiet..if you use public transport, you hardly see or hear people talking. It's all a bit strange when your used to english way, but its something quite different.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions and I'll try to help out.
Old May 4th 2012, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

glasgowceltic is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply great insight. I think we have the same fram of mind my freind. Im currently in melbourne but need to leave soon and whats the point in heading to u.k when i dont need too.

Thanks if i think of anything else i will contact.

Cheers J
Old May 4th 2012, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by glasgowceltic
Thanks for the reply great insight. I think we have the same fram of mind my freind. Im currently in melbourne but need to leave soon and whats the point in heading to u.k when i dont need too.

Thanks if i think of anything else i will contact.

Cheers J
Yeah..the UK is not a great idea at the moment..I've barely lived there anyway. But I know tons of people who are currently trapped in deadend jobs with qualifications to do other work but..there's absolutely 0 forward momentum. Good luck anyway.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to you.
My son used up all of his savings living there, whilst taking Swedish lessons and looking for bar work etc. So that he could be near his young daughter. He had a c.v and testimonials from employers here in Scotland, but no luck. He was told that is is very difficult to obtain this type of work if you are not fluent in Swedish. He is now back in Scotland.
Sorry to sound negative but this was his experience last year.
Pete.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by teuchterpete
Good luck to you.
My son used up all of his savings living there, whilst taking Swedish lessons and looking for bar work etc. So that he could be near his young daughter. He had a c.v and testimonials from employers here in Scotland, but no luck. He was told that is is very difficult to obtain this type of work if you are not fluent in Swedish. He is now back in Scotland.
Sorry to sound negative but this was his experience last year.
Pete.
I've come across alot of non norwegian speaking people in service professions, i.e bar work, etc. Sure..they understand a simple order..but nothing besides. It happens. Probably the easiest area to get work in as a non native speaker if anything.

The issue is understanding the subtle cultural differences in order to get people to like you I have found.