Reload this Page >

Considering a Position in Copenhagen...Advice Please

Considering a Position in Copenhagen...Advice Please

Old Oct 29th 2012, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

waxb18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Considering a Position in Copenhagen...Advice Please

Hello All,

Ive been contacted recently by an agency who are looking to fill some positions in a danish bank and have shortlisted me as one of their candidates but im a little dubious on the whole emigrating to a different country especially one which i know very little about.

a little bit about myself,

First of all I'm a 26 y.o. single male, studied engineering but am working in a Business Information Field, I'm an introvert, but by no means does that mean i lack confidence.

Enough of the lonely hearts add...

how are the Danes with English? and how difficult is it to learn Danish? I hear danish is the hardest language in the world to learn

I have read that tax is incredibly high, would you be able to survive on an £50k salary after tax

How are the Danes about ethnic minority groups? I am a British Born Pakistani Muslim, from within this community i hear nothing but negativity about the Danes (maybe because of some cartoons), from outside this community i hear nothing but praises.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

Rugratzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Considering a Position in Copenhagen...Advice Please

Hi there,

You will find that some people say there are no problems with Foreigners in Denmark, others will say that there is loads of problems, much of it caused by the Danish society and their views of non Danes, and especially Muslims.

Have a look at the http://www.cphpost.dk/, Danish news in English.

You say you have a chance to move to Copenhagen, You cannot work out your tax just by taking off X % from your salary, it also depends on the area you live in, as different councils take different amounts.

Depending on the environment you are working in will depend on how much Danish you will need to be able to speak, speaking Danish is not the hardest thing to do, but reading and writing it is different, there are loads of exceptions and dropped letters.

I would honestly say that you need to think long and hard about it.

Hope that helps

RR
Old Nov 11th 2012, 2:22 pm
edp
Forum Regular

edp is just really niceedp is just really niceedp is just really niceedp is just really niceedp is just really niceedp is just really niceedp is just really niceedp is just really nice
Default Re: Considering a Position in Copenhagen...Advice Please

I think it sounds like a great opportunity. Being in Denmark with a good job is a chance in a lifetime. The language is tricky to the ear but assuming its very similar to Swedish the structure is not dissimilar from English. Lots of words in common. I wouldn't NOT do something because you think people won't accept you because of your skin colour, religion. That's terrible to give in to that. Ok, if you were American and thinking of moving to Mogadishu then maybe but the chances of you having problems are not great in a big city.

I would say if Denmark appeals to you culturally and the job is a good career move then go for it.

Haters gonna hate, as the yoof say.