View Poll Results: What's your favourite cheese?
Cheddar
24.39%
Mozzarella
2.44%
Cream cheese
0%
Goat's cheese
12.20%
Camembert
17.07%
Stilton
36.59%
Other blue cheese
24.39%
Other hard cheese
7.32%
Feta
4.88%
Gruyere or Emmental
7.32%
Brie
21.95%
Sheep's cheese
2.44%
Parmesan
9.76%
Edam or Gouda
2.44%
Something obscure and cool sounding
19.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Your favourite cheese

Old Aug 28th 2012, 10:40 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your favourite cheese

How the hell can Stilton be number 1?? I know its very British but it stinks like my old Army socks after a weeks exercise and tastes worse than it smells.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 11:55 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I came over all esurient the other evening and decided to avail myself of the facility provided by my local cheese emporium, Market Platter (near Mag 218 / opposite Shooters Pool Hall, at the Dubai end of the Marina). Had had a nosey around previously and the fare looked impressive.

Was indeed impressed. Grana Padano, Mrs Something's Cheddar and some Oirish semi-soft stuff: all very fresh and tasty. Boss-man who served me actually trimmed the rind of the Grana to get it down to the 150g I asked for. Also had one their loaves, circular and slightly domed: lovely stuff, fluffy and tasty. 3 pieces of cheese, each between 150 and 200g plus the bread was AED70, which I didn't think was too bad.

The fish looked really good, especially the tuna.

Support your local cheese emporium!
Old Sep 11th 2012, 12:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I came over all esurient the other evening and decided to avail myself of the facility provided by my local cheese emporium, Market Platter (near Mag 218 / opposite Shooters Pool Hall, at the Dubai end of the Marina). Had had a nosey around previously and the fare looked impressive.

Was indeed impressed. Grana Padano, Mrs Something's Cheddar and some Oirish semi-soft stuff: all very fresh and tasty. Boss-man who served me actually trimmed the rind of the Grana to get it down to the 150g I asked for. Also had one their loaves, circular and slightly domed: lovely stuff, fluffy and tasty. 3 pieces of cheese, each between 150 and 200g plus the bread was AED70, which I didn't think was too bad.

The fish looked really good, especially the tuna.

Support your local cheese emporium!
Near Mag 218. I can get there but where from there? Is is SZR side of Mag or Beach side?
Old Sep 11th 2012, 12:07 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Near Mag 218. I can get there but where from there? Is is SZR side of Mag or Beach side?
Beach side. Walk towards the beach from Mag 218 for about 40m and its on your right hand side, on the corner of the block. You can park on the pavement outside.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 12:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Beach side. Walk towards the beach from Mag 218 for about 40m and its on your right hand side, on the corner of the block. You can park on the pavement outside.
By Najid Tower?

Old Sep 11th 2012, 12:16 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

All this for a bit of Wensleydale...

Do you want the GPS co-ordinates too?
Old Sep 11th 2012, 12:19 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

They'd go really well with the chutneys and pickles that someone makes. On sale at ARTE at Times Square Mall this Friday (14/09 12-7pm).

Old Sep 11th 2012, 12:24 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Kix
All this for a bit of Wensleydale...

Do you want the GPS co-ordinates too?
Good cheese is not to be underestimated.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

OK.... OK.... I give up.........

What the buggery-bollocks is 'Mag 218'??
Old Sep 11th 2012, 1:03 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by The Dean
OK.... OK.... I give up.........

What the buggery-bollocks is 'Mag 218'??
(Tall) Tower in Marina.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 1:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Wow.......... that will be nice when it's built...........

Now you've shown me what it will look like (or already does?) - what does Mag 218 actually mean??

Last edited by The Dean; Sep 11th 2012 at 1:07 pm. Reason: .
Old Sep 11th 2012, 1:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by The Dean
Wow.......... that will be nice when it's built...........

Now you've shown me what it will look like (or already does?) - what does Mag 218 actually mean??
It's built. People live in it.

No idea what it means.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 2:13 pm
Hit 16's

Bleeding 'ell.

Ok, on Scamp's map is where the "a" in "Najd" is, and in relation to the birds-eye photo it's just to the right of The Dean's avatar on the post below.

Meow—maybe you could get them to sell your chutneys, couldn't see any on display. Chutney's a must with cheese, IMHO.

MAG is the name of the developer—there's another block (MAG 467?) in JLT. The Bangkok Massage Centre is at GF in MAG 218.

And this morning I met a MiG 21 fighter pilot. No, really. A Syrian polyglot lawyer. Here's one in Egyptian livery.

Your favourite cheese-mig.jpg

Last edited by Bahtatboy; Sep 11th 2012 at 2:17 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 4:52 pm
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

No Saudi Feta? What kind of poll is this?
Old Sep 11th 2012, 5:35 pm