Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Your chosen on-line news channel

Your chosen on-line news channel

Old Dec 4th 2012, 4:42 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Your chosen on-line news channel

By default I go to BBC.co.uk, but its starting to wind me up as much as the Daily Fail. Misleading headlines, repeated tautology, sensationalism, self-promotion...

From recent days:

Kate pregnant but in hospital with morning sickness. "but"?

The roof of the tunnel collapsed downwards onto the road. And there was me thinking Japan was a gravity-free country. And it was a road tunnel, where else was it going to fall? Plus, it wasn't the tunnel which collapsed, but the lining--a major difference.

Child arrests "continue to fall". The article gives details of figures which prove that the number has fallen--so why the ""?

Congolese army returns to Goma v US fines China nuclear exporter Those two on adjacent lines

On the other hand, it does allow you to dig deeper with some good analysis.

Where do you go?
Old Dec 4th 2012, 5:11 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your chosen on-line news channel

by default my homepage is and always has been bbc news however like yourself i find them increasingly inane and useless. not replaced it yet but probably will.

using google news more http://news.google.co.uk/nwshp?hl=en&tab=wn

and npr http://www.npr.org/

but no real regular replacement yet

edit: i also subscribe to the times ipad app and thats pretty damn good the digital subscription also covers the website but tbh i dont really bother with that although i probably should
Old Dec 4th 2012, 5:12 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
By default I go to BBC.co.uk, but its starting to wind me up as much as the Daily Fail. Misleading headlines, repeated tautology, sensationalism, self-promotion...

From recent days:

Kate pregnant but in hospital with morning sickness. "but"?

The roof of the tunnel collapsed downwards onto the road. And there was me thinking Japan was a gravity-free country. And it was a road tunnel, where else was it going to fall? Plus, it wasn't the tunnel which collapsed, but the lining--a major difference.

Child arrests "continue to fall". The article gives details of figures which prove that the number has fallen--so why the ""?

Congolese army returns to Goma v US fines China nuclear exporter Those two on adjacent lines

On the other hand, it does allow you to dig deeper with some good analysis.

Where do you go?
I don't restrict my viewing to one website. I tend to use Google News to see what the top stories are.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Beeb for me.

Familiarity and laziness on my part to seek out any others.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 6:04 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

BBC has been my key source of news for years, but I have found myself looking for something else lately.

Yahoo is okay (http://uk.news.yahoo.com)
Google is okay, but personalisation is a problem (http://news.google.co.uk/)

Did you know this?
Shock Horror
Old Dec 4th 2012, 6:08 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

BBC by default online, but read The Time most days too, then look around for other sources if I want more info.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Yahoo.com
BBC.co.uk
HuffPo
Dailymail

and a whole lot of other major and minor news sources, some that are.. ahem.. shall we say slanted, like FreeRepublic and WorldNetDaily

Last edited by Boomhauer; Dec 4th 2012 at 6:23 am.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 6:24 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to reinforce my inherently biased pink-tinted view of the world: Guardian supplemented by a sprinkling of the Huffington Post (it's very hit and miss/pick and mix: I started with it after the Iranian election protests a few years ago when it had a superb live-blog - now there's something that has been beaten to death since...live-blogging that is, not Iranian protesters - too much, too soon?). A bit of Economist thrown in for some hard-right balance. Plus a few Irish and UAE sites but nothing too noteworthy there. I tend to use a lot of other sites also for specific news: regional, business, sport, arts/culture etc.

I have never warmed to the BBC site, far too superficial.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 6:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

BBC
Guardian
Telegraph
The Sun
The Mail

Normally read all 5 whilst I each my lunch.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 7:51 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Indy, BBC, Gruaniad, sometimes the Mail for a laugh and a point.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

www.pinknews.co.uk - Just to add to the speculation.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 7:56 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Yahoo
The Sun
The Fail
This is Lincolnshire

And for a laugh and to reaffirm what a bizarre area of the world we live in

7 days ME
The National
panarabia Enquirer
Old Dec 4th 2012, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

Guardian
Huffington

And for my daily hit of maid sex and black magic

http://www.emirates247.com/crime
Old Dec 4th 2012, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

This one is worth a look too!

http://simianpress.com/news-feed/

Great disclosures about the Jimmy Savile Case!
Old Dec 4th 2012, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

BBC since the late 50's as a shortwave listener! Like others I feel they are letting their standards drop.

Who can remember the Voice of America in "special English" where a guy spoke very slowly for non-english speaking listeners. Content was dreadful!

Daily Telegraph
Sunday Times (UK)
Penguin News!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.