Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Are you falling out of love with football?

Are you falling out of love with football?

Old Dec 13th 2009, 6:10 pm
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Are you falling out of love with football?

I will always support West Ham and its not just as a result of their appalling form and off field circus...that I think I am starting to fall out of love with football

Its mainly to do with :

Media's obsession with top four

All seater stadiums

Players diving / cheating

No physical contact allowed in the game any more...yellow card after yellow card for the tamest of challenges

Managers whining about every referee decision yet cannot see the irony of encouraging ther own players to cheat

Ticket prices to watch a game of football

Being bled dry for every penny, for absolutely everything you buy inside the stadium gates

The lack of 3pm kick off's and the way TV companies dictate who plays when

The above are the reasons off the top of my head why i will give up my WHU season ticket this year (despite living in Dubai, and only catching one home game in 4 or 5) after never being without one for twenty odd years.

Any one else feel the same ?
Old Dec 13th 2009, 6:52 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you falling out of love with football?

Never been obsessed with 22 men kicking a bit of plastic about
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

so you fell out of love with football when the old laced-up leather ball was replaced then Ray?
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:40 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

my weekends were spent involved with this sport
Attached Thumbnails Are you falling out of love with football?-drag.jpg  
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
my weekends were spent involved with this sport
you'll be chewing jerky and lynching black people next!
Old Dec 14th 2009, 2:00 am
Ray

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
you'll be chewing jerky and lynching black people next!
Not at the weekend ..thats thursdays ....

atually I do live in a big KKK area ... rarely seem them though nowadays
don't have the parades much now
Old Dec 14th 2009, 3:26 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

No, but I do think that video technology needs to be introduced into the game as most referees are frankly poor.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Referees are not the problem.

The pace of the modern game, together with the unprofessional antics of professional players combine to give refs difficult 'on the spot' decisions to make on a regular basis.

The answer is video I agree, but players also need to be severely punished for bringing the game into disrepute.
If a player lost his wages for periods in which he was banned (and the money went to the FA to directly assist funding in grass roots football), and was banned for a lengthy period for deliberate manipulation, some of the worst elements of the game could be cut out pretty quickly.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 4:56 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Are you falling out of love with football?

Maybe you could spice up the football by putting it in a cage, having less players in a smaller area, less time per match and a ball that bounced better. Then allow plenty more contact between players but make them play with only those socks with rubber grips underneath.

I've never liked football much though, it's just too slow.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
No, but I do think that video technology needs to be introduced into the game as most referees are frankly poor.
The drawback with video is the delays in decision making.
Sure, getting the right decision made more often would be good (they don't get it right 100% of the time.).....but who cares when you're forever farting around waiting for the video ref to replay and replay to make a decision.

Sport is meant to be entertaining!

FTR - I can't stand football - It's reached it's saturation point long long ago. It's ALWAYS on TV.

And the diving! Grab your leg in agony and the replay shows it wasn't even touched! Pathetic! Absolutely Pathetic!

And again...most of these guys are considered role models!!!! Pathetic!
Old Dec 14th 2009, 5:14 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jeeper
The drawback with video is the delays in decision making.
Sure, getting the right decision made more often would be good (they don't get it right 100% of the time.).....but who cares when you're forever farting around waiting for the video ref to replay and replay to make a decision.
Sport is meant to be entertaining!
It doesn't seem to spoil the entertainment at international rugby games when dodgy tries get referred to the replay screen. Perhaps a team could be limited to three referrals per half, rather like in tennis.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't seem to spoil the entertainment at international rugby games when dodgy tries get referred to the replay screen. Perhaps a team could be limited to three referrals per half, rather like in tennis.

Re: rugby a lot of people would disagree with you. Fristly - only certain aspects of the game are up for review with the video ref - not all decisions - forward passes are not reviewed on video for example.

I've seen them replay tries over half a dozen times - in slow motion - turning the tape back and forth.....and then decide to not award a try as they haven't got a clue.

You have to draw the line somewhere and this is where it gets dodgy.

A forward pass can lead to a try and if the ref doesn't see it there's f all that can be done about it. But if there's a knock-on in the scoring of the try that is up for review. What's that about? Surely if a foul is made it can be checked on video replay. no....because we'd be there all day watching videos instead of just cracking on and enjoying the game.

And re: your 3 referals.....so you foul 3 times in the first few minutes on purpose so the other team loses all their referalls?

I reckon you either have video ref full time for all not obvious decision or none at all. And unfortunately, in rugby and football there are a lot of dogy call srefs have to make on the spot and most of the time their instinct is correct. We all want to see a fair outcome....but I doubt we'd want to watch video replays of every decision all day.

Last edited by Jeeper; Dec 14th 2009 at 5:25 am.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

bollocks, the refs are fitter and faster than ever, players cheating is the problem
Old Dec 14th 2009, 5:52 am
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandboy
bollocks, the refs are fitter and faster than ever, players cheating is the problem
Totally agree.....and its not just a 'foreign disease'.....

Rooney attempted it in the match at the weekend, Gerrard is a past master at it, but hey, they are English, so thats ok... and its not just the desperate dive for a penalty or free kick that meakes me sick...its the feigning injury, snipper bullet to the head reaction we get as soon as they are touched, or not !

And it seeps into the amateur games or kick arounds in the park, and Im sure in the play grounds for kiddies

I play 5-a-side football each week and you just have to make the slightest of contact one of the 'local / foreign' players, and they literally scream / yelp, roll on the floor, .....its ****** pathetic, and all because they see it done by professionals in the blanket coverage on TV
Old Dec 14th 2009, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BangleMan
Totally agree.....and its not just a 'foreign disease'.....

Rooney attempted it in the match at the weekend, Gerrard is a past master at it, but hey, they are English, so thats ok... and its not just the desperate dive for a penalty or free kick that meakes me sick...its the feigning injury, snipper bullet to the head reaction we get as soon as they are touched, or not !

And it seeps into the amateur games or kick arounds in the park, and Im sure in the play grounds for kiddies

I play 5-a-side football each week and you just have to make the slightest of contact one of the 'local / foreign' players, and they literally scream / yelp, roll on the floor, .....its ****** pathetic, and all because they see it done by professionals in the blanket coverage on TV
I should start doing it when I miss a putt at golf on the weekend.
Wonder if i'll be allowed to play the putt again when I miraculaously ( and almost instantly after getting my way) recover

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.