Yeman

Old May 13th 2013, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Yeman

I know Yeman isnt part of the GCC. Is it just considered "middle east", or what ?
Old May 13th 2013, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

winter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to all
Default Re: Yeman

Yemen is considered to be in Asia, I think
Old May 13th 2013, 3:48 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Funnily enough I was looking at Trip Advisor today and specifically the island of Socotra today, and specifically THIS hotel.

I really fancy going there for an R & R 5 days - but I understand it's dry? Can anyone confirm?

Edited to add, I took a look here and it says...

"Alcohol is not allowed outside of the big 5 star hotels (in Yemen), so you have to bring your alcoholic drinks with you".

Really?

Last edited by Kix; May 13th 2013 at 3:51 pm.
Old May 13th 2013, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by winter
Yemen is considered to be in Asia, I think
No, it's an African country; that should really piss off the 'White' Yemenis

Yeah it is Asia --> S.W. Asia --> Arabian Penninsula
Old May 13th 2013, 3:58 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Near East.
Old May 13th 2013, 4:03 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
Funnily enough I was looking at Trip Advisor today and specifically the island of Socotra today, and specifically THIS hotel.

I really fancy going there for an R & R 5 days - but I understand it's dry? Can anyone confirm?

"Alcohol is not allowed outside of the big 5 star hotels (in Yemen), so you have to bring your alcoholic drinks with you".

Really?
Sounds about right, you can bring alcohol into the country no problem and as they say most of the big hotel chains or bars do sell alcohol.
You will struggle to get a visa as a tourist though, its lively at the moment.

Written as I sit in beautiful Aden
Old May 13th 2013, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Sounds about right, you can bring alcohol into the country no problem and as they say most of the big hotel chains or bars do sell alcohol.
You will struggle to get a visa as a tourist though, its lively at the moment.

Wait , you are not pulling anyone's leg are you? I thought Yemen was still rather dicy owing to the war on terror.
Old May 13th 2013, 4:28 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Wait , you are not pulling anyone's leg are you? I thought Yemen was still rather dicy owing to the war on terror.
There is no war on terror here, but its dicey due to the separation movement between the south and north. And the various tribes and Qaida trying to take advantage.
"unification" day is coming up next week, and could get a bit emotional. but yes I am in Yemen
Old May 13th 2013, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
I got my Yemen visa last week and was due to go on Sunday, but had to cancel as I am too busy on another project. I quite liked it.
Old May 13th 2013, 4:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Boom - you are in the US. There is no war on terror - what you are seeing in the news is your administration justifying the fact that 2/3 of remaining the inmates at the Bay are from Yemen and OB has no ability to solve that problem.
Old May 14th 2013, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

fezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of light

I just returned from Socotra, and can thoroughly recommend it. Tourist visa wasn't a problem as this was covered by the tour company (Socotra Eco Tours). We flew with Felix Air who were pretty decent, in a provincial airline kind of way. Most people go camping on the island as hotels are limited, and only in the main town. We stayed a couple of nights in the Summerland which was good although felt more like a large family run guesthouse than a hotel.

I'm sure you've looked it up, but the beaches on the west coast are breathtaking, as are the large pods of spinner dolphins you see there. You also get to see plants that don't exist anywhere else such as the dragon blood tree, the bottle tree, and the cucumber tree(!).

Feel free to PM is you have any questions. We're already planning our return trip.
Old May 14th 2013, 9:12 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix

Really?

W10 went there a few years back remember?