Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Would you hand this on your wall?

Would you hand this on your wall?

Old Apr 5th 2011, 5:52 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you hand this on your wall?

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Well, personally, no; but my taste is much more modern than this, I do think its quite charming though but it reminds me of the actor Pete Postlethwaite
These are modern pictures. Do you perhaps mean you prefer abstracts? Or photographs?

Although many Freud paintings are not to my taste, I appreciate his skill and talent as a painter.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Meow, Yes I like abstract/expressionist art particularly sculptures or mixed medias. I am a fan of Jackson Pollock and would quite happily have one of his pieces in my home but I tend to be drawn to small up and coming artists more because I don't like having commercial taste- bit of an art snob in that sense. But if something moves you its all good. (apart from anything bought in Ikea)

I actually failed my art a-level for going to abstract but then I was doing a lot of drugs at the time!

I collect typography and also a big fan of photography- particularly fashion, I have some vintage Vogue prints in my lounge and bedroom.

Having said that, I do appreciate the masters in museums but wouldn't want them in my home. I love art installations- when you come across a piece of art when you're on everyday business. I miss London for that. Whilst I was in New York I saw the Jumping Man exhibition- statues around the city- sends you off into a world of your own.

My taste is more design and graphic based- product as well as prints. Having said that I wanted to be a graphic designer as a kid and ended up working in the fashion industry so guess they would be of particular interest to me.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 10:42 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

But if something moves you its all good. (apart from anything bought in Ikea)
So one of the below is art, and the other isn't?

Would you hand this on your wall?-lucian-freud.jpg

Would you hand this on your wall?-vettriano_spider_700.jpg
Old Apr 5th 2011, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
So one of the below is art, and the other isn't?

Attachment 99701

Attachment 99702
I'd say it's both art. Beauty, after all, is always in the eye of the beholder.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 2:20 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Meow, Yes I like abstract/expressionist art particularly sculptures or mixed medias. I am a fan of Jackson Pollock and would quite happily have one of his pieces in my home but I tend to be drawn to small up and coming artists more because I don't like having commercial taste- bit of an art snob in that sense. But if something moves you its all good. (apart from anything bought in Ikea)

I actually failed my art a-level for going to abstract but then I was doing a lot of drugs at the time!

I collect typography and also a big fan of photography- particularly fashion, I have some vintage Vogue prints in my lounge and bedroom.

Having said that, I do appreciate the masters in museums but wouldn't want them in my home. I love art installations- when you come across a piece of art when you're on everyday business. I miss London for that. Whilst I was in New York I saw the Jumping Man exhibition- statues around the city- sends you off into a world of your own.

My taste is more design and graphic based- product as well as prints. Having said that I wanted to be a graphic designer as a kid and ended up working in the fashion industry so guess they would be of particular interest to me.
My tastes are quite broad, but I do like a good abstract. I'd go for Rothko over Pollack though. You should come over and have a look at the stuff we have on our wall and for sale (from my husband's art company. I reckon you'd like some of it. Shame you can't make it tomorrow or I'd show you then.(This isn't selling by the way. Just think you'd like some of it.)

Art is highly personal and I don't think anyone should be swayed by fashion in it. It should be whatever speak to you. That said, there were some appalling examples at Art Dubai again this year.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Meow- Oo that would have been great- Wednesdays are no good for me though as I have my trainer- groan- id be very interested to have a nosey though!

I found it really hard to find any art I like here but finally managed it and my walls are mostly full now can always squeeze some more in though.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 3:03 pm
Bored liberal

Meow- Oo that would have been great- Wednesdays are no good for me though as I have my trainer- groan- id be very interested to have a nosey though!

I found it really hard to find any art I like here but finally managed it and my walls are mostly full now can always squeeze some more in though.
Let me know when you're free one weekend, as always best to see the images in daylight. I imagine I can find a nice healthy fruit juice for you too...
Old Apr 13th 2011, 3:55 pm
Bored liberal

Default Re: Would you hang this on your wall?

I guess many of you would prefer this on your wall.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13060213
Old Apr 13th 2011, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you hang this on your wall?

Originally Posted by Meow
I guess many of you would prefer this on your wall.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13060213
Er.... yes, actually.

"Inspired by Greek myth"?? Garbage - it was painted in my sound-proof cellar..........
Old Apr 13th 2011, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I know the model! haha
Old Apr 13th 2011, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

And this one?
Attached Thumbnails Would you hand this on your wall?-greek-mythology.jpg