World Book Day

Old Mar 6th 2014, 7:46 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default World Book Day

Today is World Book Day, as anyone with children will no doubt know as it's a big thing in schools. Anything that encourages a love of books is to be welcomed, but what books did you love most as a child?

I was a bookworm and my list included:

All the Nancy Drew stories
The Lion, the Witch & The Wardrobe
Charlie & the Chocolate Factory
Anything by Dr Seuss as I read them to my younger brother
What Katy did
Anne of Green Gables
All the Doctor Doolittle books

What books did you love?
Old Mar 6th 2014, 7:53 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: World Book Day

101 Things To Do
The Animal Kingdom
Stanley Gibbons
Anything by Jack Wild
Gore Vidal's short stories and articles
Old Mar 6th 2014, 7:56 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Today is World Book Day, as anyone with children will no doubt know as it's a big thing in schools. Anything that encourages a love of books is to be welcomed, but what books did you love most as a child?

What Katy did
Anne of Green Gables

What books did you love?
All the Roald Dahl books, although 'Boy' was one of my favourites.

I also like the 'Choose your own adventure' series.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

All the Narnia stories, not just the Lion, the witch and the wardrobe (the first book in the series, the Magician's Nephew, is always unfairly neglected in my opinion), a few Roald Dahl, obviously including the Willy Wonka stories, Danny the Champion of the World, James and the Giant Peach etc. Mr Men when I was much younger and the Richard Scarry (?) busy town stories/picture books.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I only discovered reading about a year or so ago. Hated it as a kid, could barely read too.

Lovely to hear Mini-millhouse put on his bedroom light after bedtime so he can do some more reading each night.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Swallows and Amazons, Roald Dahl, Enid Blighted and The Hardy Boys are ones I can remember off hand. Usual stuff, I suppose for many.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Mog the forgetful cat
Old Mar 6th 2014, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

DesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond repute

The usual stuff but the most profound book that I read as a kid was 'The Giving Tree'. Should be required reading for every college grad, lol.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 4:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Of Mice and Men
Stig of the Dump
Can't remember what it was called but was about some lads on the Falklands who found a wounded Argie soldier and tried to help/hide him.
Goosebumps, could smash through one in an afternoon.
The ones where mice and badgers were armies, can't remember for the life of me the names but they were enthralling.
Anything revolving around war and submarines and covert ops and things, like Bravo two Helmet, Tom Clancy's stuff, that kind of thing.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

Robajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud of

The Otterbury Incident
Old Mar 9th 2014, 5:23 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Tintin.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Big_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the rough

As well as all the Asterix & Tintin books, I also read the Dr Doolittle & Chronicles of narnia loads of times when I was growing up. Still got them on my shelf somewhere years later, waiting to be passed on to my nephew when he's old enough.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 8:34 am
Just Joined

Emaaraat2014 is an unknown quantity at this point

The Pearl.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 12:38 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow

What Katy did
Anne of Green Gables

What books did you love?
You could be me. I loved all those books.

When I was growing up my parents used to take my sisters and one of my brothers to my aunt and uncle's cottage. Our treat was that we each got to buy one comic book to take. I always got a Betty & Veronica, my sisters got Archie and my brother always got a Batman or Superman comic. By the end of the weekend we would have all read them all dozens of times.

My daughter was and still is a voracious reader. My son never really liked reading much but did like the Captain Underpants books when he was little.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 12:16 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Nancy Drew was my favourite, and the Famous 5

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.