Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Work opportunities for young people

Work opportunities for young people

Old Mar 23rd 2021, 9:08 am
Just Joined

JamieR is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Work opportunities for young people

Hi guys - would welcome thoughts on this please - I'm looking at returning to Dubai soon - and my 17 year old son (he left school after his GCSEs in the summer) wants to come with me as he is struggling to find an apprenticeship or meaningful work here in the UK and he is hoping he might be able to get some kind of work in UAE when he turns 18 in the summer.....does anyone have any views on this theory!?
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work opportunities for young people

Originally Posted by JamieR
Hi guys - would welcome thoughts on this please - I'm looking at returning to Dubai soon - and my 17 year old son (he left school after his GCSEs in the summer) wants to come with me as he is struggling to find an apprenticeship or meaningful work here in the UK and he is hoping he might be able to get some kind of work in UAE when he turns 18 in the summer.....does anyone have any views on this theory!?
Unless he aspires to be a waiter then he hasn't got a chance in hell.

Sorry.
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 3:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help with the Dubai job aspect, but if he's only 17 then isn't he required to be in education for at least another year in the UK? I thought he had to have something arranged before leaving school, so maybe his previous school can help him? My daughter is doing GCSE's this year and all kids have to have something to go on to, whether that's A Levels or an apprenticeship, if the latter then the school are helping to arrange that. What kind of apprenticeship does he want to do, could he look at a vocational college course in it with an apprenticeship attached maybe?
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

JamieR is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi - yes he is doing home schooling for this final year whilst looking for an apprenticeship or similar but he really wants to experience some time overseas and is wondering whether he could potentially get an opportunity in UAE given that I will be there.
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 5:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - yes he is doing home schooling for this final year whilst looking for an apprenticeship or similar but he really wants to experience some time overseas and is wondering whether he could potentially get an opportunity in UAE given that I will be there.
Doesn't sound as though that's an option from the response above. How about doing a degree or similar abroad if he want to spend some time abroad maybe?

Re: apprenticeships, not sure what kind he's after, but has he looked at National Grid's scheme? I assume he's already seen it, but they take on huge numbers of school leavers.
Old Mar 24th 2021, 3:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

how about the army?
Old Apr 8th 2021, 4:35 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

My son is 19 and got an apprenticeship with Amazon.

However that took him about six months of rejections from dozens of firms despite great results from his 6th form, including letters of recommendation from the head of the Engineering dept...he was also ready to sign up for the RAF or Navy as well. It was extremely hard on him but he kept at it.

There's very little in the UAE for youngsters unless you run a business or know someone very well who would take him on. To be honest if I was that age I would stay in the UK and keep trying for apprenticeships and the Armed Forces right now.

N.