Wimbledoom

Old Jul 8th 2013, 7:20 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wimbledoom

Originally Posted by Scamp
I disagree with all of that. Tennis players, like F1 drivers are 'British'.

End of.
except that they play as individuals and not as a representative of any national team in the ATP Tour
Old Jul 8th 2013, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
a political shitstorm has begun because apparently

This is acceptable

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...4-_574084a.jpg
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ys-Henman.html

and this
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...lagain_203.jpg
"Pack away the St George's flags, put the face paints back on the shelf because Henmania is over for another year."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/3854329.stm

but this isnt
http://i4.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming...-929936054.jpg
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/t...inal---1166411

and this is really what its all about
http://www.scotsman.com/webimage/1.2.../583944863.jpg

The First Minister of Scotland holding a Saltire when a Scottish born player wins Wimbledon.

Would people prefer that he had held up a Union Flag?
Tim Henman = Jewish
Andy Murray = Scottish
Greg Rusedski = Canadian
Laura Robson = Australian
Kevin Pietersen/Jonathan Trott = Yarpies
Mo Farah - Somali
Jessica Ennis-Hill - half-Jamaican
Douglas Jardine/Colin Cowdrey - born in India
blah blah blah blah...............
Old Jul 8th 2013, 7:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

except that they play as individuals and not as a representative of any national team in the ATP Tour
Cool. So he's the Scottish Wimbledon champion and nothing else?

Just to clear that up
Old Jul 8th 2013, 8:17 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Just to clear that up
well no. since there is still a union of the crowns and states he would be be both british and scottish champion. my point is not that he is solely scottish but that there is a fuss about the saltire when there was none about st georges cross. the media and some cant have it both ways
Old Jul 8th 2013, 8:21 am
N/A

Dumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond repute

Just to clear that up
I think he should be, yes. Let them have their moment in the sun, they get so few what with being so fair and ginger.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 8:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

well no. since there is still a union of the crowns and states he would be be both british and scottish champion. my point is not that he is solely scottish but that there is a fuss about the saltire when there was none about st georges cross. the media and some cant have it both ways
I don't disagree with you. I just think the entire debate is so tragic.

It's all just tit-for-tat bollocks.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 8:28 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poshy

I acknowledge that he is committed to his sport and he does have one of those droning voices, I think hes just one of those serious young men...and very proud of being from Scotland.
Wimbledoom-carlin.jpg
Old Jul 8th 2013, 8:37 am
**** it we'll do it live

exactly.

But there is an unfortunate tone that English nationalism is OK but Scottish nationalism is totally unacceptable. Which to be fair is probably exactly what Salmond was trying to achieve anyway
Old Jul 8th 2013, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

In this 'union' of which you speak - why can Scotland vote to leave it, but England can't?

[Edit - aimed at Shiva really................]

Last edited by The Dean; Jul 8th 2013 at 8:43 am. Reason: .
Old Jul 8th 2013, 8:56 am
Just Joined

Bog Man is an unknown quantity at this point

Bollocks comparison Shiva - if Cameron had held up the George Cross the nationalist haggis jockeys and english pinko press would go ape. Good on the scots and english fans flying their flags but that uber-****** was invited to his very expensive royal box seat in his capacity as First Minister and that stunt was cringe-worthy.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 9:00 am
Account Closed

exactly.

But there is an unfortunate tone that English nationalism is OK but Scottish nationalism is totally unacceptable. Which to be fair is probably exactly what Salmond was trying to achieve anyway
Unfortunately, that's never going to change from either side and it will perennially be the other nations fault.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

exactly.

As far as I can understand is that the flag issue is due to the size limits. Little ones are allowed and encouraged whereas big **** off ones (like Bellend Salmond was holding behind Bellend Cameron's back are not). It's the same BS argument as Mo Farah on his moby in the Royal box.

Also in terms of Nationalism, my observations as someone who has lived in Wales, England and Scotland, I would say that not that long ago the majority of the English would fly the Union Flag in preference to the George Cross. However, in recent years the Scots have become more.....(how can I say it) ..... proud or at least vocal in their 'we are Scottish not British' BS, and so as a reaction the English have been swayed away from the Union Flag and pushed towards the George Cross.

Well that's my observation at any rate.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 9:02 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by The Dean
In this 'union' of which you speak - why can Scotland vote to leave it, but England can't?

[Edit - aimed at Shiva really................]
as far as I'm aware the exact same mechanism exists in England to dissolve the union
Old Jul 8th 2013, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Tim Henman = Jewish
Andy Murray = Scottish
Greg Rusedski = Canadian
Laura Robson = Australian
Kevin Pietersen/Jonathan Trott = Yarpies
Mo Farah - Somali
Jessica Ennis-Hill - half-Jamaican
Douglas Jardine/Colin Cowdrey - born in India
blah blah blah blah...............
And... so what?

The UK is one of the biggest melting pots in the world. It's massively diverse. Would you rather we excluded these talented individuals based on religion, colour or their heritage?

If they are classed as British then I don't see the problem.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 9:08 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by Bog Man
Bollocks comparison Shiva - if Cameron had held up the George Cross the nationalist haggis jockeys and english pinko press would go ape. Good on the scots and english fans flying their flags but that uber-****** was invited to his very expensive royal box seat in his capacity as First Minister and that stunt was cringe-worthy.
exactly "as first minister" so surely he should be expected to display the Saltire as he is the head of the devolved scottish government. had it been the olympics and Murray representing the UK then a display of the Saltire would have indeed been out of place. It however was not the olympics and as Murray was not an official UK representative then why should Salmond have not displayed a Saltire.

Also why does anyone waving a Saltire have to be a nationalist haggis jockey, it is the national flag, is that really something to be ashamed of or belittled?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.