Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Wikileaks - Right or Wrong?

View Poll Results: Do you support and agree with wikileaks release of the "cables"
I support wikileaks release of the "cables"
68.00%
I do not support wikileaks release of the "cables"
32.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Wikileaks - Right or Wrong?

Old Dec 7th 2010, 6:58 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wikileaks - Right or Wrong?

Curious to know the thoughts of the bored, not about Mr Assange, but on whether the current Wikileaks "cablegate" is warranted and justified or illegal and potentially harmful to human life and a crime of espionage.

Last edited by Autonomy; Dec 7th 2010 at 7:02 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wikileaks - Right or Wrong?

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Curious to know the thoughts of the bored, not about Mr Assange, but on whether the current Wikileaks "cablegate" is warranted and justified or illegal and potentially harmful to human life and a crime of espionage.
Millhouse is not a supporter.

edit - Wikileaks has it's place and releasing the information about the dumping of the chemicals on the African coast that was covered up was it. What is being done now is just stupid.

Last edited by Millhouse; Dec 7th 2010 at 8:51 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

I support them despite not seeing any explosive news from their leaks.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

As good old Socrates had it - "the unexamined life is not worth living". If one takes that to it's logical conclusion, what is true for the individual must also hold true for the collective. Ergo, one should expect one's Government to stand naked without fear of close scrutiny, in as much as one ought demand the same from oneself. Let's all get naked, people....
Old Dec 7th 2010, 9:51 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

As far as I can see wikileaks and Assange are simply doing what any decent investigative journalist used to do...

back in the days when there was a 'free press' unconstrained by the ugly restrictions of 'commercial concerns'.

If you believe in the concept of pluralistic democracy, (and its a fundamental assumption of most of the western world) - then proper investigative journalism is ESSENTIAL.

I tip my hat to J.Assange for having balls of steel and being prepared to martyr himself in his stand against the global repression of information.

Heres a fine example of the kind of information he's brought to light. warning - if you can watch this and no feel sick there may b something wrong with you:
http://collateralmurder.com/
Old Dec 7th 2010, 10:18 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

This is wild now.. they have set up a poison pill.. if anything happens to him or the organization, documents will be automatically released.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 3:54 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

DT article today. Wikileaks released emissaries from the Brit ambassador in Libya saying if we didn't release Megrahi then "Libya would cut us off at the knees" from an economic perspective.

Pretty much confirms that there's no such thing as principles left anymore. Everything is up for sale, including a country's integrity and belief in the values that supposedly constitute who we are.

The long term consequences of wikileaks - a more jaded and bitter populace and greater mistrust of government.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 4:27 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Theft.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 4:31 am