Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Why I'd rather die than visit Dubai

Why I'd rather die than visit Dubai

Old Dec 2nd 2008, 1:59 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why I'd rather die than visit Dubai

Originally Posted by W10
A country does not have to be old to have traditions...they do have them in Dubai. It's just they don't promote them (because glitz and glamour is more important) and the people that come here don't care anyway.

Hmm I don't know how to define it. I prefer to define what is not culture(shopping, getting drunk, driving fast cars, eating junk food...)

...shall I give a list of things I have done this year that I consider cultured??

OH Nooooooooooo not a listmaker!!!!
Yes I take your point about suffocated tradition.
FWIW, I don't really care for DXB or LV-both are functional w.o a heart.
You are there for a reason and it's paying you good return.Don't crit or demean others -others who perhaps have a different concept of culture from you-for doing the same.I will put good money on-if gambling existed of course- the things you consider culture which appear on your list ? more than 50% of this immediate media/vehicle has experienced.
The reporter guy? Just like most in the industry, newspapers have to sell, sensationalism ups the sale,their marketing tool is other peoples' misery
That's all from me you'll be glad to know.....

Last edited by Eva; Dec 2nd 2008 at 2:01 am. Reason: sp
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 2:14 am
W10

I am there for a reason. Money. I don't really like Dubai a great deal but thats not a huge secret. So why does that mean I should not agree with someone who criticises Dubai, its inhabitants and the lifestyle it tries to sell.

As for 50% of people on this vehicle...I don't know. Maybe they have experienced 'culture'. Does that mean this forum can be considered a representative sample of the Dubai population?? And of course, it also begs the question. Do people in Dubai 'experience' culture, or do they 'appreciate' it. Big difference.

For example. Go to any 'arts' event in Dubai. You'll see half the people there because its a social occassion or got free tickets/free hospitality. There are people desperately trying to push the underground arts scene along but its a big struggle because there is no support for creativity (amongst locals and expat artists) that doesn't turn a profit or column inches.

Final point. He isn't a reporter. He is a comment writer. His job is to write his opinion, not report the facts. This is what he did...

Old Dec 2nd 2008, 2:18 am
W10

Originally Posted by Eva
I will put good money on-if gambling existed of course- the things you consider culture which appear on your list ? more than 50% of this immediate media/vehicle has experienced.
If I was being facetious I could comfortably list 10 things that I know 50% of people on here would not have experienced.

Old Dec 2nd 2008, 2:23 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
If I was being facetious I could comfortably list 10 things that I know 50% of people on here would not have experienced.

Okay, lets get the chips into mainstream

I'm calling you............
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 2:25 am
W10

I'll PM you if you really want to know...

I try to shy away from getting involved in public pissing contests (even though you could argue I got myself into this one)

Old Dec 2nd 2008, 2:29 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by W10
I'll PM you if you really want to know...

I try to shy away from getting involved in public pissing contests (even though you could argue I got myself into this one)
Pm's good so long as you don't copyright...well I could tell the guys 33% of -educational purposes.I am sorry you see our exchange as a toilet bowl experience.
China White's fine by me
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 2:29 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
I am there for a reason. Money.
When in Papua New Guinea, the expats were divided into the three Ms: Missionaries, Mercenaries (although not necessarily at the expense of ethics...as defined in the dictionary meaning) and Misfits.

Well...in Dubai the first M is out...so that just leaves mercenaries and misfits !!
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 2:34 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
I would say 70%
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 2:36 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I would say 70%
is this some sort of competition...any prizes to win
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 2:41 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
is this some sort of competition...any prizes to win
yes there are some sevens tickets knocking around sowewhere 70% as there is a good majority of people who post who aren't even here!
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 2:50 am
W10

And of course. I am the most well travelled, intelligent, handsome, cultured, insightful and well, just gosh darn brilliant, person you know

Old Dec 2nd 2008, 3:23 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MacScot
When in Papua New Guinea, the expats were divided into the three Ms: Missionaries, Mercenaries (although not necessarily at the expense of ethics...as defined in the dictionary meaning) and Misfits.

Well...in Dubai the first M is out...so that just leaves mercenaries and misfits !!

Can I be Norma Jean?

Clark was very kissable-just like you MacScot
Strike up your bazouki
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 4:43 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
Can I be Norma Jean?
...no worries with me, Marilyn.

Clark was very kissable-just like you MacScot
but...you must remember this...a kiss is just a kiss..no?

Last edited by MacScot; Dec 2nd 2008 at 4:46 am. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 4:53 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MacScot
...no worries with me, Marilyn.

but...you must remember this...a kiss is just a kiss..no?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=F_bMFVDu9yo

Ne, ne

but for a man of science...you must be prefer:

Old Dec 2nd 2008, 4:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
If you don't mind...indulge me further, what is your definition of culture?

So if you are right and its upwards of 70% then the chances are that you are one of these peoples the hack describes? deeply unethical,uncultured and without taste?
No he isn't...He's got culture coming out of his sweet ass...And he has great taste in women...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.