Who has quit smoking

Old Feb 28th 2011, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Who has quit smoking

Hey all,

quick question, all this get fit milarky is wearing me down- coughing and spluttering on the treadmill is frustrating me so Im thinking its maybe time to quit smoking- I've now smoked for 21 years so its a long time habit- and I enjoy it but I know with my family history I do need to quit.

So who has given up and how did you do it? Patches? Cold Turkey? Hypnosis? alan carr?

Any tips? Obviously I dont want to go and put any weight on whilst quitting either!

Kittycat
xxx
Old Feb 28th 2011, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who has quit smoking

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Hey all,

quick question, all this get fit milarky is wearing me down- coughing and spluttering on the treadmill is frustrating me so Im thinking its maybe time to quit smoking- I've now smoked for 21 years so its a long time habit- and I enjoy it but I know with my family history I do need to quit.

So who has given up and how did you do it? Patches? Cold Turkey? Hypnosis? alan carr?

Any tips? Obviously I dont want to go and put any weight on whilst quitting either!

Kittycat
xxx
Get yourself an e - ciggie. Works like a charm, and not harmful to your lungs.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Whats an e ciggie?
Old Feb 28th 2011, 11:26 pm

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

Alan Carr then cold turkey

Keep active, it helps keep the weight off and keeps you distracted.

Another tip is to avoid a time that you know is going to be stressful. I waited until I was flying back from Uk on an afternoon flight and then left fags at Heathrow. Landed in Dubai late pm, went home to bed, got up in the morning and went played golf, by the time I got home from there the first 24hrs were almost done. It was just then a case of setting milestones, made it thru 24hr, let’s do 48, done 48 now for 96 etc etc. Once I had done a week i just reversed the psychology to; I have done week and will not waste that effort, done a month etc etc. That was 6 years ago.

Finally reward yourself when you make milestones, maybe base the reward value on the financial benefit gained if you had been buying cigs in the Uk.

To be honest, and i know this is not the case for everyone, it wasn't as bad as I though it was going to be ..... Good luck if you do decide to try.....
Old Mar 1st 2011, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

I gave up in JUne, just cold turkey. You get a huge longing for a cigarette every now and then but it only lasts about a minute, just resist it , the longer you do that the less it happens. :-)
Keep active and try to resist snacking. It is very difficult not to put weight on when you give up smoking. Your body "interprets" the pangs for nicotine as hunger pangs which is why you feel hungry all the time + giving up smoking slows down your metabolic rate ( the rate you burn calories) Once you have kicked the habit then you can lose the added weight. The health benefits from giving up far outweigh the increase in weight :-)

Smoking cessation timeline – the health benefits over time

In 20 minutes, your blood pressure and pulse rate decrease, and the body temperature of your hands and feet increase.Carbon monoxide in cigarette smoke reduces the blood’s ability to carry oxygen.

At 8 hours, the carbon monoxide level in your blood decreases to normal. With the decrease in carbon monoxide, your blood oxygen level increases to normal.

At 24 hours, your risk of having a heart attack decreases.

At 48 hours, nerve endings start to regrow and the ability to smell and taste is enhanced.

Between 2 weeks and 3 months, your circulation improves, walking becomes easier and you don’t cough or wheeze as often. Phlegm production decreases. Within several months, you have significant improvement in lung function.

In 1 to 9 months, coughs, sinus congestion, fatigue and shortness of breath decrease as you continue to see significant improvement in lung function. Cilia, tiny hair-like structures that move mucus out of the lungs, regain normal function.

In 1 year, risk of coronary heart disease and heart attack is reduced to half that of a smoker.

Between 5 and 15 years after quitting, your risk of having a stroke returns to that of a non-smoker.

In 10 years,
your risk of lung cancer drops. Additionally, your risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney and pancreas decrease. Even after a decade of not smoking however, your risk of lung cancer remains higher than in people who have never smoked. Your risk of ulcer also decreases.

In 15 years, your risk of coronary heart disease and heart attack in similar to that of people who have never smoked. The risk of death returns to nearly the level of a non-smoker.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 3:58 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

I cannot understand how anybody can enjoy breathing smoke and tar into their lungs. Absolute madness. Keep at it Kittykat or it will probably kill you in the end, like it did to my mother and a few others I know.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 5:30 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

I smoked socially for a while, but gave up before I went to university. I hated coming home stinking of smoke, and having interrupted sleep because of the smell of it in my hair - worse knowing it was my fault

I've helped a few people to quit since then. I don't believe there's any one method that's always going to be effective, but I do think anyone can give up once they've decided to do so.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 5:39 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

I tried the Alan Carr book and it never worked.

Champix got me off them, worked a charm (and contrary to what a lot of people told me, no side effects).

The thing I liked about Champix is that I could sit with smokers and not be bothered or have any temptation to smoke.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 6:49 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad

Champix got me off them, worked a charm (and contrary to what a lot of people told me, no side effects).

The thing I liked about Champix is that I could sit with smokers and not be bothered or have any temptation to smoke.
Quitting smoking is easy- I've done it loads of times.

I used to smoke, went cold turkey and didn't smoke for many years at all, now do occasionally but take it or leave it.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Whats an e ciggie?
It is an electronic cigarette. Gives you the nicotine, but not all the other crap. Plus, you still "smoke" as in have a cigarette in your hand. Makes it all a bit easier,IMHO.
You can find them on line.
Other than that, can't help, have never wanted to try to give up.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 8:29 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Hey all,

Kittycat
xxx
7 weeks today - cold turkey. Actually been surprised how easy its been. Its the fear of giving up that stops you i think.

Mmm turkey, im hungry now.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 8:36 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad

I have heard Champix has better long terms results with men than it does with women.