Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Where are you going to retire to?

Where are you going to retire to?

Old May 19th 2013, 5:07 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where are you going to retire to?

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I quite fancy Thailand but it isn't that easy for British Nationals to live there long term is it? or did I make that up? I am quite fancying Northumberland as well
Compared to other countries it's fairly straightforward. For a one year retirement visa you need about 16k GBP in a Thai bank account before you apply. Then report to local immigration every 90 days. As long as you have the money they will extend it year by year.The people who have problems are the people who don't have the money.
Old May 19th 2013, 5:11 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

same with Iran and look what's happening there....
Old May 19th 2013, 5:11 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
Phills?

I had a friend in Thailand who had to keep doing visa runs all the time
Philippines.

Your friend probably didn't qualify for another visa.
Old May 19th 2013, 5:17 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wherever the family happens to be.

Failing that, then a low key place like Charleston, South Carolina, ticks many boxes, along with a house in Cape Cod for the summer.

I can see the UK being too wet and rainy when I'm ancient and nothing but bones and skin.
Old May 20th 2013, 5:28 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Compared to other countries it's fairly straightforward. For a one year retirement visa you need about 16k GBP in a Thai bank account before you apply. Then report to local immigration every 90 days. As long as you have the money they will extend it year by year.The people who have problems are the people who don't have the money.
So every three months you get a new one year visa?

Sounds crazy to me.
Old May 20th 2013, 6:31 am

Once a year you get a one year visa . Within that one year you have to report to the local immigration every 90 days . You can report by post to save yourself the trip or go down there yourself .
Old May 20th 2013, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
same with Iran and look what's happening there....
I quite fancy going to Iran for a holiday , don't think I would want to retire there though.
Old May 20th 2013, 7:15 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Once a year you get a one year visa . Within that one year you have to report to the local immigration every 90 days . You can report by post to save yourself the trip or go down there yourself .
thanks for the info
Old May 20th 2013, 7:26 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

That makes sense, I thought you meant that every 90 days you got a new one year visa - I know sounds crazy but hey....
Old May 20th 2013, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Compared to other countries it's fairly straightforward. For a one year retirement visa you need about 16k GBP in a Thai bank account before you apply. Then report to local immigration every 90 days. As long as you have the money they will extend it year by year.
If it's renewable annually, why do they ask Brits to report to Immigration every 90 days? Are you not allowed to leave every once in a while? So the purpose of the visit every 90 days is what exactly?
Old May 20th 2013, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

I quite fancy Oman. possibly the salala end which has a more tropical/green climate.

Here's a question for you. If you buy a house somewhere but don't take residency there for tax purposes, and can't get a driving license from there because you don't have residency AND you are no longer UK resident so can't use a UK DL either - where do you get your DL from?
Old May 20th 2013, 2:33 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ditzy
I quite fancy Oman. possibly the salala end which has a more tropical/green climate.

Here's a question for you. If you buy a house somewhere but don't take residency there for tax purposes, and can't get a driving license from there because you don't have residency AND you are no longer UK resident so can't use a UK DL either - where do you get your DL from?
the UK, using the same address that I have always kept in the UK

I apply at the post office, get it sent to my parent's house, and they post it onwards
Old May 20th 2013, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

(Technically that's illegal as you are not UK resident and your UK license is only valid if you are - if you have a bump in UK your insurance will not pay out)

however all of that even if it were legal would not be possible, if you did not have an address in the UK, even that of a relative?
Old May 20th 2013, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Having problems editing - sorry it might not be illegal as such - but would invalidate your UK license
Old May 20th 2013, 3:56 pm
womble

it's what I was advised to do by the British Embassy....

anyway - back to location - I wouldnt buy in Oman / retire here. It's a great place to live, but the properties you can buy to get residency are 5 times the price of the properties outside of the development area - literally 5 times, and the same if not worse quality. Additionally, the service charges are incredibly painful for those that do own, and you have the usual ME service attitude. An amazing place to live, but not somewhere I would personally choose to retire to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.