Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Where would you buy a holiday home?

Where would you buy a holiday home?

Old Jul 16th 2009, 12:43 am
Just Joined

DougDougDoug is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Where would you buy a holiday home?

Originally Posted by Euc-
wtf?
Sorry, Blackberry was acting up.

I was going to say that my two ideal places would be the following.

1. Germany / Luxembourg border area but on the German side in the mountains. You have the best of 3 countries (France, Germany & Luxembourg) all within an hour of Mettlach and decent airport connectivity with Lufthansa and Luxair. Property is not expensive compared to the rest of Europe.

2. Cayman Brac - not anywhere near 4 hours from you but a fantastic little island that makes up one of the 3 cayman islands. I was lucky enought to do some work on the Island which is only 12 miles long and 2 miles at its widest but i would jump at the chance of owning a vacation home there. access is spotty with only Cayman airways puddle jumpers from Grand Cayman.
Only a couple of hours flight from Miami airport.

As a side note, I have a condo in North Myrtle Beach in South Carolina (we rent it out if anyone is interested). Access to the airport is only domestic but its pretty central on the east coast so you could fly to D.C. or NY and connect to MYR. The golfing and family activities there are great, they even have a Hard Rock theme park and 150k Euros would buy a large condo or decent house. Downside is monthly dues since its in hurricane area much like florida.

Doug
Old Jul 16th 2009, 4:52 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where would you buy a holiday home?

Originally Posted by DougDougDoug
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
hahahaha. Best post yet!
Old Jul 16th 2009, 4:54 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
can't advise on your investment - but i LOVE Thailand and would LOVE to live there...

It's a big country though... where you thinking of?
OK, Mrs RK is also keen on Thailand and we'll check out the situation regarding property. I've only been once and it was a flying visit so we'll book a week or so in September to get a good feel for the place.

Shiva suggests nai harn bay area or rawi. Any others or are those the places?
Old Jul 16th 2009, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

pauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Spugsy
that's freaky man.
Whats with the cucumber, is a secret message to the ladies
Old Jul 16th 2009, 5:30 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

We've talked about this as well, but I am not too keen on it cause for one, I wouldn't want to be going to the same place each holiday. Now I realise that you can still go different places but I would feel that since you have a house somewhere you'd need to go there, if that makes sense...
Also, you'd need someone to look after it, which I imagine is not always easy to...or if you decide to rent it out, someone to handle all that stuff for you, do maintenance etc.
I love to watch those programmes about people that buy property abroad...lol
That's usually enough to put me off totally...
Old Jul 16th 2009, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

That's usually enough to put me off totally...[/QUOTE]

It would appear with the high numbers of people not paying for the upkeep of their property in Dubai, there are many who now wish they had never bought an overseas home????

P.S. my vote would go for Port Douglas, Queensland! Fabulous place.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 6:18 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
OK, Mrs RK is also keen on Thailand and we'll check out the situation regarding property. I've only been once and it was a flying visit so we'll book a week or so in September to get a good feel for the place.

pretty much all of thailand is ace but there are areas where it is particularly tourist dense and probably not ideal for a holiday home i mention those specific locations if your looking at phuket as they are in quiet areas but still only 20 mins or so from the big conurbations/tourist hotspots. to be honest though the choice is endless in thailand just depends how far you want to be from airports, big towns etc and whether you want a beach nearby, ie chang mai is lovely but its up in the mountains and jungle and a couple of hours flight from the beaches
Old Jul 16th 2009, 6:19 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
That's usually enough to put me off totally...
It would appear with the high numbers of people not paying for the upkeep of their property in Dubai, there are many who now wish they had never bought an overseas home????

P.S. my vote would go for Port Douglas, Queensland! Fabulous place.[/QUOTE]
never been by my brother swears that port douglas is close to heaven, have to say his pics look pretty convincing
Old Jul 16th 2009, 6:23 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva

P.S. my vote would go for Port Douglas, Queensland! Fabulous place.
never been by my brother swears that port douglas is close to heaven, have to say his pics look pretty convincing[/QUOTE]
I've been there, it's pretty fantastic.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 6:49 am
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

I went to croatia couple of years back (Split). Loved the place - feels very much like southern Germany but on the med, beautiful weather and islands, people nice, good pubs and food. Relatively uncommercialized in terms of mass foreign tourism. And met some really nice people.

Mrs F is brazilian, I have been to Brazil couple of times and we plan to spend some time there when the business is sorted enough I don't need to run it day to day. Either on the Amazon (google Alta do Chao) which is where she's from, or the North East coast. It's a long flight from blighty and even further from UAE though, if you're looking for just a holiday home. Some parts of brazil are a bit dicey of course, but up north in smaller towns seems to be a lot better than the big cities. Hey, there was a cop shot in last day or two in Sharjah... and at least you can have BBQ pork ribs and beer in brazil.

Last edited by captainflack; Jul 16th 2009 at 7:06 am.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by captainflack
I went to croatia couple of years back (Split). Loved the place - feels very much like southern Germany but on the med, beautiful weather and islands, people nice, good pubs and food. Relatively uncommercialized in terms of mass foreign tourism. And met some really nice people.

Mrs F is brazilian, I would jump at the chance to have a place in Brazil, either on the Amazon (google Alta do Chao) which is where she's from, or the North East coast. It's a long flight from blighty and even further from UAE though, if you're looking for just a holiday home. Some parts of brazil are a bit dicey of course, but up north in smaller towns seems to be a lot better than the big cities. Hey, there was a cop shot in last day or two in Sharjah... and at least you can have BBQ pork ribs and beer in brazil.
ahh, i love brazil, i think salvador da bahia is one of my fave places in the world, have you been...

MM, xx
Old Jul 16th 2009, 7:11 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking

what's the point if you can't actually buy
Old Jul 16th 2009, 7:14 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
what's the point if you can't actually buy
90 yrs is long enough a lease thats is not bad though, no?
Old Jul 16th 2009, 7:15 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
90 yrs is long enough a lease thats is not bad though, no?
but you would never own the property, I know Brits who have been down this path before, unless you are married to a Thai it turns out to be a waste of time. RK post in the Far East forum see what response you get.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 7:21 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
but you would never own the property, I know Brits who have been down this path before, unless you are married to a Thai it turns out to be a waste of time. RK post in the Far East forum see what response you get.
interesting, in what way a waste of time, legal issues, renting issues?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.