Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Where will it end? A total ban on smoking anywhere??

Where will it end? A total ban on smoking anywhere??

Old May 27th 2011, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where will it end? A total ban on smoking anywhere??

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I can't even get in my house for cigarette butts. Bloody things are everywhere. Nevermind the mountains of plastic bags which degrade slower than most nuclear waste...
I'm not going to wait till it gets worse before I start objecting to it. You want to wait till it gets worse, I think it's bad enough already. I'd bet you would kick up an almighty stink if you found one in your soup, wouldn't you?

Why do you have such a problem with fag butts?
They stink, they look disgusting, they carry disease, and some asswipe just dropped it without any thought. All these things may not bother you, but it seems I have a slightly lower tolerance for this kind of chavvery.

Stop driving your car if you want to make a major contribution to air quality...smoking doesn't have a major effect on air quality outdoors. And as it comes from bloody plants it produces oxygen long before it's burnt...I'd wager it's almost carbon neutral
I don't want to make a major contribution to air quality, or even a minor one. Driving is something we all have to do, unlike sucking on a dirty fag. As for air quality outdoors, I have this feeling you're one of those people who would make a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp if you ever ended up in the same park with people who dared use their mobile phones, let alone dining alfresco next to a table of smokers. Major effects on air quality isn't the issue, it's localised effects on the people around you- that's what you disingeniously keep ignoring.

If I buy earplugs I won't be able to hear the music...surely a pair of headphones would be better?
Also, I haven't seen a ghetto blaster since 1990...perhaps they are now buried under mounds of fag butts?
yeah I meant headphones..

I'm not a horticulturalist...I can barely even spell the word. The plants seem happy - it wasn't a scientific statement.
So just a random throwaway comment huh? I think we can safely ignore pipe smokers as there are only 26 of them in the western hemisphere.

How did you know I throw all my rubbish out onto the street? Are we neighbours? Bang twice on the wall if you can smell me smoking...
OBVIOUSLY that wasn't directed at you personally. We don't know each other. One is still a chav if one chooses to litter. Better?

Ok now I hope we are neighbours because I want whatever you've been drinking...Is it Absinthe and castor oil or just a rare brand of gin that's bringing all this out?
I'm glad you agree that the logical argument you used is fundamentally flawed, and would lead to such illogical conclusions as you were making fun of.

Yup, the only two people in the world who grow their own tobacco...aside from the hundreds of thousands of tobacco farmers and other rural types who grow most of what they consume and sell the surplus. Of course they are all gone now...asphixated by fag butt mountains
More unscientificness huh? Hundreds of thousands? I am not as fortunate as you in having met the only two tobacco-growers in the universe. I think there are actually no more than 30,000 people like that. Out of 8 billion- an insignificant percentage.
Old May 28th 2011, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where will it end? A total ban on smoking anywhere??

Was at a football match a few years, lower league stuff, still had a standing open air terrace. One yoof stood near to me was smoking, only to be told by an older chap next to him, it was illegal. Yoof said he was 'outdoors'. Chap pointed out he was in an enclosed public space, therefore smoking was banned.

A compound would be an 'enclosed public space too'. Imagine if an entire compound was non smoking?