Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Where were you when....

Where were you when....

Old Nov 23rd 2012, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where were you when....

Storms of 87 - at boarding school in Surrey. The winds were rattling so much that night we moved the beds and shared the beds furthest away from them. No housemistress or anything came to check on us.

Princess Di dying - was staying the night on a sofa in Bisley after a party. In the morning all the boys/ officers were devastated and I really felt the link between the army and the royal family, it was odd. Remember being hacked off by the dirge music on every radio channel though, as I drove home.

9/11 - dinner party in Sydney with a wanker new boyfriend at his friend's house, who was a drug dealer, he was a real winner. I'm pissed off that it was with him that I watched it all happen as I'd rather not remember him at all. Waking up the next day was bizarre, not knowing if we were in WW3.

7/7 - coming home from work in Sydney and being desperate to contact all friends. I was alone and just remember sobbing, watching the news.

31 Dec 1980 Norfolk Hotel Bomb - in Nairobi and we felt/ heard it 8 miles away.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 9:06 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I was a kid living in South Africa when Elvis died, remember my Mam being really upset.

The day John Lennon was shot I was working in a fruit n veg shop in South Shields

9/11 on holiday in Cyprus, had no idea what was going on just saw all these planes and buildings, that was a very quiet flight back to Dubai

Dianna, in London with a friend, terrible day that was, so young and beautiful
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 9:19 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

9/11 - In an office in York. A woman chirped up with, "terrorists have flown planes into the WTC," in a really matter-of-fact way. There wasn't much work done that afternoon.

Diana - Was at home, in bed, radio alarm came on and the news was talking about a Royal dying; thought it was the Queen Mum and were shocked to find out who it was.

Moon Landing - half of me was in my mum, half in my dad....wouldn't be fusing for a few months yet.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 9:30 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Not exactly a famous day but I was walking into a burger king or something similar in New Orleans on the day OJ simpson was declared aqquited. There were tvs everywhere on the walls, and as I came in behind me a big black woman shouted "OJ's free y'all".
Everyone in the place turned to see a big goofy looking Irish guy standing in the door. For a few minutes I was sure I was about to get a kicking of a lifetime.
looking up the date, that was October 1995.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 12:35 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
I will always remember sitting with my parents watching the moon landing on our very small black and white tv
Ditto, my Dad woke us up early. Although it was a very small B&W screen in a huge wooden case with doors that folded closed
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

Betty Bee is just really niceBetty Bee is just really niceBetty Bee is just really niceBetty Bee is just really niceBetty Bee is just really niceBetty Bee is just really niceBetty Bee is just really niceBetty Bee is just really nice

9/11 haunts me. I was due to fly out for a meeting in New York and it was postponed until the next week. I was watching TV and saw it all happening on Sky news, it still haunts me.

Last edited by Betty Bee; Nov 23rd 2012 at 1:42 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 1:34 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hnd
When man first landed on the moon Mrhnd was at an army camp in Cultybraggan - anybody know where that is?
Yes it is at Comrie in Perthshire, it no longer belongs to the Army but is run by some kind of charitable community trust. I was there just over 12 months ago as The OMM (formerly the KIMM) used it as their event centre/car park last October.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 2:13 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Re Cultybraggan. Thank you for that. I do remember that the fly fishing was good there, although it was the first time I had ever done it. The other thing that sticks in my mind is that, when standing the water fishing, it was darn cold but when you are young that doesn't matter as much as it does now!!!
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute

9/11 had thrown a sickie and was at home when the first plane hit, thought it was an accident. Watched the second plane hit on telly. First words were - what the f***

7/7 at work in watford, scared in case my mum and brother were on the trains as they used the met line to Aldgate everyday.

Diana dying i was in bed - my then husband woke me up at silly oclock to tell me.

Elvis dying - My mum was in labour with me.

Live aid - my dads birthday and the day we moved to Pitstone in bucks. The first thing to happen was the TV got setup so we could watch it while the movers dumped various boxes and furniture around the house.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
Ditto, my Dad woke us up early. Although it was a very small B&W screen in a huge wooden case with doors that folded closed
oh!! We had one of those! Also my grandmother left us her stand alone cocktail cabinet that had doors at the side that opened as you pulled down the front and it played music!!!
I remember going to visit my grandmother and she always had the little Babycham bottles and the glasses ....Babycham?.... I'd love a Babycham

Attached Thumbnails Where were you when....-babycham-cruet-set-6-glasses-3196-p%5Bekm%5D271x300%5Bekm%5D.jpg  
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 7:11 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Waiting for The Dean to tell us where he was when war broke out...The First World War, that is...
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Waiting for The Dean to tell us where he was when war broke out...The First World War, that is...
Not the Boer wars then darling
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 11:16 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Lennon dying: remember my mum waking me up quite upset and telling me. I'd didn't have a clue who he was.

HMS Sheffield. Was in a caravan in Wiltshire. Remember my dad giving me a clip around the ear for laughing at the captains name "sam salt" when he was being interviewed in the immediate aftermath..ironic I then chose that career.

Iraq invasion of Kuwait. Undergoing basic training, learning about NBC warfare wondering why I never took that apprenticeship with BP.

Lady Di: was in Ibiza. All the pillheads were in emotional breakdown, which I found quite funny.

911: In Glasgow on main leave. Got a phone call that would as it turn out change the course of my life. A few months later I left glasgow and sailed to warmer climates.

2003 Liberation (or invasion) of Iraq. Watched from a nice vantage point. No TV or radio required.

Jimmy Saville's death: was on holiday in Bangkok with my good mate's Gary Glitter and DLT
Old Nov 24th 2012, 2:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Not the Boer wars then darling
........says the woman who is even older than me.............

Still, fair comment - I remember being told off for chanting 'Ban The Bomb' while playing in the back garden with friends. I had no idea what it meant, I'd just heard it on the news. Must have been at the time of those marches (1962? 1963?).

Give me a while and I'll come back with a list........
Old Nov 24th 2012, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Dean
........says the woman who is even older than me.............

Still, fair comment - I remember being told off for chanting 'Ban The Bomb' while playing in the back garden with friends. I had no idea what it meant, I'd just heard it on the news. Must have been at the time of those marches (1962? 1963?).

Give me a while and I'll come back with a list........
True darling..but I have aged well!!!
We go back to the days when the Dead Sea was alive and kicking darling!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.