Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Where in London would you buy a flat?

Where in London would you buy a flat?

Old Feb 6th 2011, 9:01 am
  #1  
Account Closed
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,502
Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where in London would you buy a flat?

Just wasting time on primelocation.

Say your budget is 500-550k GBP. Minimum 2- bed flat or a small terraced house. Where in London would you buy, and why?
Ethos83 is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2011, 9:09 am
  #2  
Powered by cows
 
Autonomy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: currently Dubai, ex UK
Posts: 4,581
Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where in London would you buy a flat?

Originally Posted by Ethos83 View Post
Just wasting time on primelocation.

Say your budget is 500-550k GBP. Minimum 2- bed flat or a small terraced house. Where in London would you buy, and why?
I'd go Ladbroke Grove, Notting Hill, Maida Vale for apartment

Terraced house - you'd need to head out a little, Willesden, Cricklewood - or Blackheath is nice...

too much choice...
Autonomy is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2011, 9:11 am
  #3  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Madam Medusa's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 18,187
Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where in London would you buy a flat?

definitely richmond/kew...you could get a fab flat for that money overlooking the river, or a small terraced house/cottage away from the river...

why...? its got good public transport to get across london and easy access to heathrow (and gatwick) and to the motorways to go north...and a fantastic choice of bars and restaurants...for the outdoors life, there's richmond park, kew gardens, kew green and the river all within walking distance (and the rugby ground, maybe london welsh(?) if you're into that)...

MM, xx
Madam Medusa is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2011, 9:20 am
  #4  
Millhouse is not a meme
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 14,624
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where in London would you buy a flat?

I really don't see the attraction of London but if I had to chose an area I would also go for South East London (less poor little rich kid type twats) and in particular I would go for Blackheath. However, given the Lee-Kidbrooke-Brockley sandwich that is Blackheath I am put off by the stab risk.

I wouldn't waste my money in London and would move out to the commuter belt and live in something nice with a large garden suitable for a springer spaniel.

I love the sound of a neighbour jet washing their car on a Sunday morning.
Millhouse is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2011, 11:19 am
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Abu Dhabi by body and Sydney by soul
Posts: 1,841
al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where in London would you buy a flat?

3 bed house in KT2, Kingston-upon-Thames


Saw an article on Buy-To_Lets and Kingston was number 2 behind Blackpool (!) in regards to returns. A 3 bed house rents to families wanting access to the good schooling on offer and they are like gold dust. Richmond Park on yer doorstep and great travel links. Shopping pretty good too!
al dente is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2011, 11:46 am
  #6  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
kittycat1's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 5,965
kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where in London would you buy a flat?

Clapham - I love it there- 20 mins into central London, but feels like its own little village, the park is great in Summer and has some awesome events on also have fab fireworks display which is free. Theres a few too many yummy mummies for me these days right on the common so I'd probably look somewhere off Battersea Rise in Clapham Junction. It's my favourite part in London and always feels like home, some great bars, great things to do with kids (in the future) and just a really nice atmosphere. Close enough to Brixton for some super gigs. And also the lowest counl tax in the UK (Wandsworth)!
kittycat1 is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2011, 11:54 am
  #7  
Account Closed
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,502
Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where in London would you buy a flat?

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming on.

I most likely will be purchasing a property by the end of this year whether I live in it or end up renting it out. But I will be buying the property as if I fully expect to live there. Other than the budget I'm constrained by two things - I most likely will be working in the City and most of my London friends have congregated in either Fulham or Islington although there's others scattered across the city. Ideally I'd like to live near them.

Islington, while appealing from both a logistics and social perspective, is not only too politically red for me but is also exhorbitantly expensive. A Georgian terrace in Islington or the northern bits of Clerkenwell would be fantastically ideal - in a fantasy world where I have the 1.5MM GBP minimumum required for a shabby terraced house. The flats are tiny and not overly appealing. Lower Clerkenwell has a bunch of modernist flats that could be doable but I've walked through the area on the weekends and it felt strangely quiet, even dead. Oddly so.

Fulham is more generous when it comes to properties but not by much. I looked up MM's Kew and Richmond and it is a lovely area with more space for your pounds, but I'd also have to check out the commute length.

Maida Vale is popular but too many Americans live there. It has an atmosphere similar to Kensington - predominately occupied by affluent foreigners and doesn't have a good 'local' neighbourhood feel to it. Could be wrong and will have to spend more time there on the weekends.

Marylebone may be an option?

One area I really have not looked in at all is south of the River. Several people have suggested I look at Kennington and Camberwell where I might even just be able to afford a proper Georgian terraced house.
Ethos83 is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2011, 11:56 am
  #8  
Millhouse is not a meme
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 14,624
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where in London would you buy a flat?

Originally Posted by Ethos83 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming on.

I most likely will be purchasing a property by the end of this year whether I live in it or end up renting it out. But I will be buying the property as if I fully expect to live there. Other than the budget I'm constrained by two things - I most likely will be working in the City and most of my London friends have congregated in either Fulham or Islington although there's others scattered across the city. Ideally I'd like to live near them.

Islington, while appealing from both a logistics and social perspective, is not only too politically red for me but is also exhorbitantly expensive. A Georgian terrace in Islington or the northern bits of Clerkenwell would be fantastically ideal - in a fantasy world where I have the 1.5MM GBP minimumum required for a shabby terraced house. The flats are tiny and not overly appealing. Lower Clerkenwell has a bunch of modernist flats that could be doable but I've walked through the area on the weekends and it felt strangely quiet, even dead. Oddly so.

Fulham is more generous when it comes to properties but not by much. I looked up MM's Kew and Richmond and it is a lovely area with more space for your pounds, but I'd also have to check out the commute length.

Maida Vale is popular but too many Americans live there. It has an atmosphere similar to Kensington - predominately occupied by affluent foreigners and doesn't have a good 'local' neighbourhood feel to it. Could be wrong and will have to spend more time there on the weekends.

Marylebone may be an option?

One area I really have not looked in at all is south of the River. Several people have suggested I look at Kennington and Camberwell where I might even just be able to afford a proper Georgian terraced house.
Camberwell is a shit hole. The Millhouse bloodline extends to there.
Millhouse is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2011, 11:58 am
  #9  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,028
lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where in London would you buy a flat?

Originally Posted by kittycat1 View Post
Theres a few too many yummy mummies for me...
Que?
lionheart is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2011, 12:05 pm
  #10  
Not an evil hypnotist
 
typical's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,975
typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where in London would you buy a flat?

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse View Post
I really don't see the attraction of London but if I had to chose an area I would also go for South East London (less poor little rich kid type twats) and in particular I would go for Blackheath. However, given the Lee-Kidbrooke-Brockley sandwich that is Blackheath I am put off by the stab risk.
The Greenwich side of Blackheath (or indeed the Blackheath side of Greenwich) are very nice, though.
typical is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2011, 12:09 pm
  #11  
Millhouse is not a meme
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 14,624
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where in London would you buy a flat?

Originally Posted by typical View Post
The Greenwich side of Blackheath (or indeed the Blackheath side of Greenwich) are very nice, though.
indeed - and the heath brings back fond memories of a girl called Kimberly
Millhouse is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2011, 12:19 pm
  #12  
Powered by cows
 
Autonomy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: currently Dubai, ex UK
Posts: 4,581
Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where in London would you buy a flat?

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse View Post
Camberwell is a shit hole. The Millhouse bloodline extends to there.
I lived in Camberwell / Brixton / Stockwell in a couple of places about 15 years ago.

Stockwell there were a few good streets and the rest was a bit of a war zone, Camberwell was similar - but I hear it's really come up now though?
Autonomy is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2011, 12:21 pm
  #13  
Millhouse is not a meme
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 14,624
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where in London would you buy a flat?

Originally Posted by Autonomy View Post
I lived in Camberwell / Brixton / Stockwell in a couple of places about 15 years ago.

Stockwell there were a few good streets and the rest was a bit of a war zone, Camberwell was similar - but I hear it's really come up now though?
Probably true - we left for the country ages ago but we would go there to visit grandparents etc.
Millhouse is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2011, 12:26 pm
  #14  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Madam Medusa's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 18,187
Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where in London would you buy a flat?

Originally Posted by Ethos83 View Post
I looked up MM's Kew and Richmond and it is a lovely area with more space for your pounds, but I'd also have to check out the commute length.

Several people have suggested I look at Kennington and Camberwell where I might even just be able to afford a proper Georgian terraced house.
there's a non-stopping train from richmond to waterloo which takes 20 mins...or the slower district line, depending where you need to get to...

kennington is a shit hole...it is earmarked for "coming up" soon, but i was talking to someone only last week, and it's still a long way off from that, apparently...

MM, xx
Madam Medusa is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2011, 12:28 pm
  #15  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Madam Medusa's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 18,187
Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where in London would you buy a flat?

Originally Posted by typical View Post
The Greenwich side of Blackheath (or indeed the Blackheath side of Greenwich) are very nice, though.
yeah, greenwich/blackheath are lovely...i think where you end up living kind of depends where you "land" in london first of all...for me, i always lived in sw london and couldn't contemplate anywhere else however nice...!

MM, xx
Madam Medusa is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.