Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Where to find a good maid?

Wikiposts

Where to find a good maid?

Old Mar 6th 2011, 4:04 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to find a good maid?

Originally Posted by Meow
The only way to do that is for her to to be sponsored for non domestic employment in some way (unless your friends are very very important ). The law restricts 'domestic servants' to four nationalities, so a British nanny would have to be employed commercially as say, as admin assistant or something to get a visa.
Having no need for a nanny - I never knew that. Doesn't surprise me too much I guess - but is there really a ruling to say that only four nationalities can be nannies? I can probably have a guess - but what are the four nationalities?
Old Mar 6th 2011, 4:25 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Having no need for a nanny - I never knew that. Doesn't surprise me too much I guess - but is there really a ruling to say that only four nationalities can be nannies? I can probably have a guess - but what are the four nationalities?

I only discovered this when I had to answer a reader's query last year. I have just checked and my records from that time show that it is six nationalities - Bangladesh, Ethiopia, India, Indonesia, Philippines or Sri Lanka. You cannot sponsor a domestic servant to whom you are related and even if they are of the same nationality special dispensation is required.

Still seems odd to me, as well as the wording on their visa that actually just says 'servant'.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I sense green eyed monsters posting on this thread.

The guy is clearly on a massive package - fair play to him - if he wants maids, nannies and drivers good on him. Share the wealth and employ people.

To answer the question - spinneys notice board is best, you can interview them first rather than going for a 'fresh import' where you don't get to interview first.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

The only way to do that is for her to to be sponsored for non domestic employment in some way (unless your friends are very very important ). The law restricts 'domestic servants' to four nationalities, so a British nanny would have to be employed commercially as say, as admin assistant or something to get a visa.
I'd say they probably do employ her as a PA or something. The nanny is a great girl and used to take my kids out to the park and movies etc and was just like another mum rather than the nanny - I lot of the parents at the school her employers boys go to actually do think she is the mum.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la9RJbmdloY

One of the great songs, by one of the great singers.......

[can't embed it properly here at work - sorry]
Old Mar 6th 2011, 9:09 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Could be.

But people on massive packages that allows them to drop 130K GBP on bad furniture generally don't have the time to waste posting on this board. If a company's offering that kind of package to a banker or CEO he'll also get relocation consultants to work with his wife. We did the whole corporate relocation a few times when I was a kid and the bank had personnel dedicated to aiding the relocating families that did everything - finding the houses, schools, organising the cars, shortlisting shops for furniture and goods, sending a welcoming committee to meet the family at the airport, organising for you to meet the other wives/families and all that because the husband was always immediately off working. My mother hated it, she said it was signing up for a life being created by someone else.

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse

The guy is clearly on a massive package - fair play to him - if he wants maids, nannies and drivers good on him. Share the wealth and employ people.

To answer the question - spinneys notice board is best, you can interview them first rather than going for a 'fresh import' where you don't get to interview first.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 9:50 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Could be.

But people on massive packages that allows them to drop 130K GBP on bad furniture generally don't have the time to waste posting on this board. If a company's offering that kind of package to a banker or CEO he'll also get relocation consultants to work with his wife. We did the whole corporate relocation a few times when I was a kid and the bank had personnel dedicated to aiding the relocating families that did everything - finding the houses, schools, organising the cars, shortlisting shops for furniture and goods, sending a welcoming committee to meet the family at the airport, organising for you to meet the other wives/families and all that because the husband was always immediately off working. My mother hated it, she said it was signing up for a life being created by someone else.
who said he had a package, he might have his own company
Old Mar 6th 2011, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

mhammo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all of the answers, albeit not sure i am any the better informed! The firm is organising a lot of things for me (I am the new MD) and for what its worth i am not trolling but there are various things we wantd to iorganise ourselves. A mate of mine who moved internationally from London said these boards can be helpful and i had just assumed that there would be an agency or something which could help with finding a good live in maid.

I have 2 young children and my wife runs her own business too and she also travels with me on business pretty regularily hence we need to have a good nanny we trust (thank you for the tip as registering her as a Pa - very useful) but also need a maid to look after the house and help out with the kids.

The notice board at spinneys seems to be the place most people recommend?
Old Mar 6th 2011, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
I can see what you're saying but I think it's more about the British sense of humour - it's just banter. Most people on here will have a good package and a maid anyway but if you have the cash for a nanny and three men to carry you around, why not? You only get so many chances in life to completely lose touch with reality, you have to grab them with both hands (or pay someone to grab them for you of course.)
Old Mar 6th 2011, 11:01 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
I can see what you're saying but I think it's more about the British sense of humour - it's just banter. Most people on here will have a good package and a maid anyway but if you have the cash for a nanny and three men to carry you around, why not? You only get so many chances in life to completely lose touch with reality, you have to grab them with both hands (or pay someone to grab them for you of course.)
yea, its all good natures.

After all, why bark when you can have a dog to do it.

Good luck to him..
Old Mar 6th 2011, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

AlAin Boy is an unknown quantity at this point

usually, It cost around 7000AED to get an Indonesian maid including visa, medical checkup, maids agent etc etc... and a monthly payment of 700AED, Philippine maids salaries are almost double this amount,
Old Mar 6th 2011, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mhammo
Thanks for all of the answers, albeit not sure i am any the better informed! The firm is organising a lot of things for me (I am the new MD) and for what its worth i am not trolling but there are various things we wantd to iorganise ourselves. A mate of mine who moved internationally from London said these boards can be helpful and i had just assumed that there would be an agency or something which could help with finding a good live in maid.

I have 2 young children and my wife runs her own business too and she also travels with me on business pretty regularily hence we need to have a good nanny we trust (thank you for the tip as registering her as a Pa - very useful) but also need a maid to look after the house and help out with the kids.

The Spinneys notice board and Dubizzle should cover most of it. Once you're out here you or your wife will no doubt meet people who are leaving (or who know of people who are leaving) and can personally recommend someone to you.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 11:22 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah, ok. I will be honest.

Ignore my first post. The one bit of advice that's very important is to always hire your maid on your sponsorship. Forget the ones who claim to be in Dubai on their husband's sponsorship. If you hire a maid without going through the usual sponsorship channels and you are discovered you will be fined around 50,000 AED or more. Salaries usually are between 1500 - 2000 a month.

As regards your other thread about furniture, Dubai is caveat emptor central. There's little to consumer protection here and it's too easy to spend too much money on crappy furniture and goods and the selection isn't entirely that great (depending on your taste). If you have a large budget and are intent on spending it all, take your time and explore the various offerings in Dubai and don't rush into the first expensive store you see.

Old Mar 6th 2011, 11:44 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

you seem genuine enough to me, good luck with your move etc. Don't leave your kids with some hired help you sponsor here, bring in a qualified childminder/nanny, especially if the children are going to be left over night for any period of time.

Furniture, tons of shops here!
Old Mar 7th 2011, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

I only discovered this when I had to answer a reader's query last year. I have just checked and my records from that time show that it is six nationalities - Bangladesh, Ethiopia, India, Indonesia, Philippines or Sri Lanka. You cannot sponsor a domestic servant to whom you are related and even if they are of the same nationality special dispensation is required.

Still seems odd to me, as well as the wording on their visa that actually just says 'servant'.
So whats the reasonig for the nationality law?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.