Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

What's with the fake mountains?

What's with the fake mountains?

Old May 13th 2011, 4:45 am
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's with the fake mountains?

Whilst undertaking my "mad villas of Dubai" photography project, I noticed a large number of fake stone structures in gardens: a red volcano in Sufouh, a cave like set up in umm sequim, a mini mountain in umm sheif. Once you start to look you see them all over the shop... Most of them a bit like the volcano in hippo island at dreamland aqua park.

Are they for the kids? Can I expect my five year old to ask for a fake hillock for the balcony?
Old May 13th 2011, 4:50 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's with the fake mountains?

have you seen the one with two boats sticking out the front at first floor level?
Old May 13th 2011, 5:54 am
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

No! Where's that ??

This is a much more satisfying project than "Shop signs of Mussafah," although "aynus grocery stores" was a favourite shot.
Old May 13th 2011, 8:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lullabelle
No! Where's that ??

This is a much more satisfying project than "Shop signs of Mussafah," although "aynus grocery stores" was a favourite shot.
I like you.

I started a project of "The interiors of taxis in Abu Dhabi". It was cut short in its prime as they got rid of all the old cut-n-shuts and replaced them with new ones. Just wasn't the same after that.

The 'boat house' is awesome. I'm not sure about the one Kitty is referring to, but there is one in Barsha too.
Old May 13th 2011, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I like you.

I started a project of "The interiors of taxis in Abu Dhabi". It was cut short in its prime as they got rid of all the old cut-n-shuts and replaced them with new ones. Just wasn't the same after that.

The 'boat house' is awesome. I'm not sure about the one Kitty is referring to, but there is one in Barsha too.

Loved the old taxis - tiger skin seats or floating lilies covered in thick clear plastic. The ones that played music when they reversed were the best!
Old May 13th 2011, 12:24 pm
Perky but sarky

I like you.

Let me introduce you to my series "grocery stores of Oman" - they are all called "food stuff stores." we counted 13 food stuff stores along one strech of road in Sohar.
Old May 13th 2011, 12:42 pm
Perky but sarky

fake ... caves??? fake red volcano and fake tree stump
Attached Thumbnails What's with the fake mountains?-sony-camera-103.jpg   What's with the fake mountains?-sony-camera-120.jpg   What's with the fake mountains?-sony-camera-102.jpg  
Old May 13th 2011, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

I like you.

Oh boy, some of those Pakistanis/Afghans taxi drivers sure go all out with their hanging doodads, velour like material, sequins...etc..It's kinda charming.
Old May 13th 2011, 1:36 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Mr Kitty says it's on Al Barsha road, but it's not really on it any more since there's the new overpass that's redirected traffic - it's on your right as you head towards Dubai.

I have my "Fearless Food Odyssey" and "Funny Things in Foreign Places" albums, both of which have an interesting array to make you gag or smile. The Pirate Villa will appear on the Funny Things album before I leave.

Oh, and there's also the development next to Ikea that's built to look like it's set on a rocky cliff-top...

Last edited by Hello.Kitty; May 13th 2011 at 1:39 pm.