British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Whats everyone doing for Christmas? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/whats-everyone-doing-christmas-640647/)

Ethos83 Nov 16th 2009 2:20 pm

Re: Whats everyone doing for Christmas?

Oy, dude. We have the history and cultural traditions to back us up on this holiday. Christmas was cold, wet and miserable for a thousand years before you lot came along.

That said, Christmas as a holiday was a fusion of Christian and pagan traditions and was in the middle of the winter to break up the long months of dreary weather and give people something to look forward to. Despite modern day comforts Christmas still functions much the same way - a midwinter holiday to add colour and cheer during a gloomy time of the year in the Northern Hemisphere.

That's why, dear dude, no Southern hemisphere Christmas can ever come close to a proper Christmas experience.

Originally Posted by spart (Post 8102023)
But Christmas is all about beach cricket, surfing, beer and BBQ's...you Northern Hemisphere folks have got it all wrong.

Eva Nov 16th 2009 3:02 pm

One word, six letters(and a -),sounds like:

whooooooooooooooooooooosh

Timmy Molloy - London Boy Nov 16th 2009 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8102123)
Are you saying that you only have one friend in the UAE?

-

my interfaces are with work collegues who I sometimes hang out with, plus barbers, massuesses, bar staff, staff at Costa and misc. other establishments at Internet City, plus security men at my apartment block.

so one friend is perfectly feasible, which I've beaten with zero mates

glynster Nov 16th 2009 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8102123)
Are you saying that you only have one friend in the UAE?

-

Pretty much yes,certainly outside of work,I have been in saudi since april and only been in middle east just over 1 year so been a bit difficult.
jeez how sad am I, ta for pointing that out!!
I could possibly meet up with my married collegues and their kids,but that would make me miss my son,dont wanna be around kids really.

glynster Nov 16th 2009 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8102136)
Glynster- and anyone else facing Chrimbo on their tod maybe we could arrange a Christmas orphans drinks and lunch somewhere, we can all feel sorry for ourselves and maybe meet some nice new people at the same time. If anyone else is interested post on here and we can arrange something so we dont all hang ourselves at home. we could even do a secret santa- which would be especially secret as none of us know each other but would at least give us all one little present to open.

shout if interested ( I'm not odd at all)

xxx

I would be up for that kittycat, any other orphans?

spart Nov 16th 2009 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 8102145)
That's why, dear dude, no Southern hemisphere Christmas can ever come close to a proper Christmas experience.

You keep telling yourself that, in the sleet and fog, and I'll have a beer for you on Bells Beach.

DeepSix Nov 17th 2009 3:10 am

"That's why, dear dude, no Southern hemisphere Christmas can ever come close to a proper Christmas experience"

I have to agree.
here in NZ.. the winter can seem like it goes on forever.. not that its particularly cold ( especially if you're from the north of England)..
but there is nothing to break it up.. after easter.. it seems like a long time until the summer/christmas break.. double whammy.. 2 breaks in one

Now i realise its what your used to.. but i remember my first NZ christmas.. sitting in the garden trying to eat a Salmon salad in 35 C and it was a screaming canterbury Nor'wester ( the wind builds up on the west of the southern Alps and then piles down through canterbury driving the temp up by 3 or 4 deg).. said salad went all over the garden.. the wind was giving everyone a headache.. time to adjourn to the aircon coolness of the house.. and frosty guinness!:thumbsup:

Jim Smith Nov 17th 2009 3:23 am

Originally Posted by spart (Post 8102512)
You keep telling yourself that, in the sleet and fog, and I'll have a beer for you on Bells Beach.

I was born further south than probably any other poster here, and I have to agree the "Southern Christmas" is the best. However the last one I experienced was 1971!

Meow Nov 17th 2009 6:01 am

Originally Posted by glynster (Post 8102314)
Pretty much yes,certainly outside of work,I have been in saudi since april and only been in middle east just over 1 year so been a bit difficult.
jeez how sad am I, ta for pointing that out!!
I could possibly meet up with my married collegues and their kids,but that would make me miss my son,dont wanna be around kids really.

Mate, you need to get out some more when you are in Dubai. Go along to the quiz night - they are pretty friendly.

-

commander Nov 17th 2009 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Jim Smith (Post 8103684)
I was born further south than probably any other poster here, and I have to agree the "Southern Christmas" is the best. However the last one I experienced was 1971!

Falkand Islands?..Yer not a Kelper are you?

Jim Smith Nov 17th 2009 10:53 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 8104000)
Falkand Islands?..Yer not a Kelper are you?

A Kelper, yes..............a Benny, nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

commander Nov 17th 2009 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Jim Smith (Post 8104490)
A Kelper, yes..............a Benny, nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

I loved my time there...where did you live?

lionheart Nov 17th 2009 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 8104602)
I loved my time there...where did you live?

You were presumably shooting Argies at the time.:rofl:

commander Nov 17th 2009 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8104607)
You were presumably shooting Argies at the time.:rofl:

Hope not...I was 9...

My uncle fought and took 2 sisters with Zulu Company 45Cdo royal marines though if that counts

glynster Nov 17th 2009 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8103913)
Mate, you need to get out some more when you are in Dubai. Go along to the quiz night - they are pretty friendly.

-

Sounds good my team name is....

"Alpha kenny body"

anyone want to be on my team:eek: