Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

What they dont tell you about being an expat in the ME

What they dont tell you about being an expat in the ME

Old Jun 18th 2009, 7:53 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default What they dont tell you about being an expat in the ME

saying as the general mood of the bored has been down of late and pretty much everone you speak to is fed up. I thought I'd attempt to start a thread where we can at least laugh about it.

What they dont tell you about being an expat in the Midddle East.

1)Most days are an exercise in anger management
2)inshallah actually means "**** you, no chance I'm doing that"
3)"we'll be there between 11 and 3" actually means "see you next week"
4)"I make working again" means "I stuck a screwdriver in it wiggled it around and now I'm otta here before it blows up"
5)never ever ask someone "do you know what your doing" you really dont want to hear "what the **** do i know, I was a rice farmer last week"

6) ?
Old Jun 18th 2009, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice
Default Re: What they dont tell you about being an expat in the ME

I was never told that it takes 3 visits/trips to get anything done.
This applies to banks and government depts.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 8:13 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

That 'parking backside' is not a sexual act
Old Jun 18th 2009, 10:25 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

if you die here...we might keep most your money and assets !
Old Jun 18th 2009, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute

Actually most of it also goes for South-America and the Caribbean! It isnt only in the ME, so when I came here I was used to it already after living in the caribs for 6 years.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 2:29 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

The standard response to any question starting with "When" is "next week" if they want to impress you or "next month" if they're really not sure. Either way, they have no idea and just want you to go away.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 3:07 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
The standard response to any question starting with "When" is "next week" if they want to impress you or "next month" if they're really not sure. Either way, they have no idea and just want you to go away.
lol they've been saying that to people who bought off plan purchases for while and for the same reason
Old Jun 18th 2009, 3:16 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
lol they've been saying that to people who bought off plan purchases for while and for the same reason
hehe - yeah. I had one shop assistant assure me that they'd have a certain game in stock before the global release date.

orly? o_O
Old Jun 19th 2009, 4:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I would be naturalized after living here for 5 years...
Old Jun 20th 2009, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

seraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Confucius
I thought I would be naturalized after living here for 5 years...
I should totally be naturalized at 10years then.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 8:42 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seraphnina
I should totally be naturalized at 10years then.
If that's the case I'll be naturalised by August next year....10 bloody years and I am still here.

I only came for a holiday...

N.