What motivates you?

Old Jun 22nd 2011, 11:00 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What motivates you?

Originally Posted by weasel central
Chinese hooters in Shanghai?
Other than get on the plane in the first place, I really don't need to do anything different from what I'm doing now to enjoy it.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 11:02 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

I'm like you KC - negative "motivation" (aka being told how rubbish you are) only makes me down tools, especially in sports, because I have no control over what I can and can't do... or more precisely, I have little interest in actually excelling physically.

Actually, boredom is my main motivator - or rather the avoidance of. I'm terrible if I'm bored and unmotivated... but if I'm interested in something (and I can get interested in pretty much anything), and motivated to do it then I rock.

Very much an all or nothing person for my sins.... and impulsive. I think "It seemed a good idea at the time" should be my epitaph!
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

sherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud of

"The tragedy in life doesn't lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach". Benjamin Mays

"Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself reasons why I can" - Unknown Author

"Always concentrate on how far you have come, rather than how far you have left to go". H. Johnson

"You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is". Ellen Degeneres

"Happiness is different from pleasure. Happiness has something to do with struggling, enduring, and accomplishing". G. Sheehan

"There are many ways to fail, but only one way to succeed; NEVER GIVE UP!" J. Pangalila

All the best Cat
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 11:21 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherri
"The tragedy in life doesn't lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach". Benjamin Mays

"Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself reasons why I can" - Unknown Author

"Always concentrate on how far you have come, rather than how far you have left to go". H. Johnson

"You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is". Ellen Degeneres

"Happiness is different from pleasure. Happiness has something to do with struggling, enduring, and accomplishing". G. Sheehan

"There are many ways to fail, but only one way to succeed; NEVER GIVE UP!" J. Pangalila

All the best Cat
Good on yer.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

sherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Good on yer.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 11:52 am
Account Closed

weasel central is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Other than get on the plane in the first place, I really don't need to do anything different from what I'm doing now to enjoy it.
Well to paraphrase Samuel Johnson When a man is tired of chinese hooters, he is tired of life.
Variety, variety ..
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
There are several reasons to be honest.

My family history is shockingly bad, if I don't look after myself I would be in a high risk category for numerous illnesses- all of which my mother and father have and I have no inclination to follow in their footsteps.

I am overweight and I am not happy with my body, again for several reasons, I don't like being as unfit as I was, getting sweaty at the slightest bit of exercise and I do genuinely feel better for it. Squeezing into aeroplane seats, crying in a changing room because I cant fit in any clothes. They are all aspects of my life that I want to leave behind. I work in the fashion industry as a designer and stylist and for me not to look good in what I wear is actually a bad representation of myself- people will judge me for how I look because of what I do and I know I've not been looking my best, and also not to be able to fit into fashionable clothing is really upsetting for me(shallow I know), also, part of my job as a stylist is looking for faults in gorgeous models, if I can rip the most beautiful people to pieces jsut imagine when i look at myself naked in the mirror, if I don't like looking at myself why would anyone else want to and yes I might be super critcial of myself but I also have a realistic expectation of how I want to look, I know I'm never going to be some waif and I don't want to be, but to lose a few stone will make me look my best, which I can work with, however I know I am currently not there by quite a fair whack.

I hate the gym, I hate working out, due to my family circumstances I grew up doing no exercise as a kid apart from at school and have spent my entire life being unhappy with myself because of my weight. I know to be healthy I need to incoorperate it into my life and have a balanced lifestyle so a love hate relationship has developed. Once I get to my goal weight I can relax a bit but still need to keep an exercise routine in my life or Ill end right back where I am now. Im hoping at some point I can enjoy it and refuse to give up again and accept that im fat for life. I want to change myself, be able to look in the mirror and not feel the self loathing that I currently do and know that I have done everything i need to to stay as healthy as possible in later life. I accept that I may not enjoy the journey 100% but its a necessity to get there and i know it will be worth it for my self esteem and my health. For the first time in my life being here I have had the time and the opportunity to actually look after myself and put myself first so that is exactly what Im doing. Taking control of my exercise and eating habits is a really tough thing for me to do as I have so many issues surrounding it all, but if I don't do it now I'm letting myself down and i really dont want to die young or have a stroke or be diabetic etc etc so whilst Im still young enough to change all of that I am.

So Charismatic that is why I do the gym exercise thing.
Well, you have stopped smoking all by yourself, as far as I remember...so this is defo doable for you I should think.
After reading your post, I would suggest a life coach. They are able to help you look at issues as they really are...see, often what we see as reality, is slightly warped, and once adjusted, makes it a lot easier to cope with certain things.
If you are interested , let me know, I have some contacts in Dubai.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

DesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond repute

Here you go kittycat, thought you could use this.

http://www.nutristrategy.com/caloriesburned.htm
Old Jun 26th 2011, 2:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Kittycat

At the risk of being misunderstood, I think you should separate completely the 'twin' ideals of (a) losing weight, and (b) getting fit.

Lose weight by exercising moderately but often (long brisk walks are far better than they are generally given credit for) while cutting out the starchy carbs. You don't have to go completely down the 'Atkins Diet' route (although I'm a fan of that regimen, as I saw it save my brother's life - quite literally) but lean meat, oily fish and green vegetables, plus lots of water, will take weight off you like you wouldn't believe. (NO pasta, bread, etc - not needed, and you'll only 'miss them' for about 48 hours).

When you feel more comfortable with your weight, then and only then try to get fitter.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 4:58 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Kittycat

At the risk of being misunderstood, I think you should separate completely the 'twin' ideals of (a) losing weight, and (b) getting fit.

Lose weight by exercising moderately but often (long brisk walks are far better than they are generally given credit for) while cutting out the starchy carbs. You don't have to go completely down the 'Atkins Diet' route (although I'm a fan of that regimen, as I saw it save my brother's life - quite literally) but lean meat, oily fish and green vegetables, plus lots of water, will take weight off you like you wouldn't believe. (NO pasta, bread, etc - not needed, and you'll only 'miss them' for about 48 hours).

When you feel more comfortable with your weight, then and only then try to get fitter.
Or you could take the opposite option. Get fit and weight loss will be the by product
Old Jun 26th 2011, 5:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Dean,

But I know what works for me- diet alone doesnt shift enough weight for me to stay motivated- Im a hard and fast kinda girl- I need to see results otherwise I struggle to stay focused. Not always the best way I know, but its what works for me mentally as well as physically. Im trying to make the exercise part of my lifestyle rather than a losing weight thing, so that i don't put the weight back on once ive lost it and Im feeling so much better for it- and started getting lots of compliments which helps too
Old Jun 26th 2011, 5:54 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

What motivates me?...

fear of failure
letting myself and others down
utter need to know that i have put 100% into everything i do.

As an example, i am racing an Ironman 70.3 in Antwerp next month. With moving, job challenges and lots of personal things going on, i know that i have not put in the correct amount of training. Now i know its going to be an end of season shindig for the team, but i have a fear that i am not going to perform to the best of my ability and let myself down. I really do worry about that..
Old Jun 26th 2011, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
Or you could take the opposite option. Get fit and weight loss will be the by product
Not as easy or as straightforward as you suggest - hence my suggestion. They are two disciplines, not one.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Thanks Dean,

But I know what works for me- diet alone doesnt shift enough weight for me to stay motivated- Im a hard and fast kinda girl- I need to see results otherwise I struggle to stay focused. Not always the best way I know, but its what works for me mentally as well as physically. Im trying to make the exercise part of my lifestyle rather than a losing weight thing, so that i don't put the weight back on once ive lost it and Im feeling so much better for it- and started getting lots of compliments which helps too
Then go for Atkins.......... you'll feel fitter without actually trying to get fitter. Then the gym stuff will come easier, and will produce better results more quickly. There is no point 'getting fit' while continuing with an unhealthy eating regimen.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Try intermittment fasting (i.e. one meal every 24hours) with good clean food (e.g. Atkins or low carb)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.