British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   What films are on at the flicks (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/what-films-flicks-698253/)

kittycat1 Dec 27th 2010 8:02 am

What films are on at the flicks

Anyone been to the cinema recently? Whats on and worth seeing? ANy recommendations- no girlie ones please?

Also can anyone recommend which cinema is the best to go to- went to MOE and nearly exploded due to the number of locals on phones the entire way through the film- is there anywhere a bit quieter? Preferably up my end of town (tecom). Also do you need to book?

Blue Cat Dec 27th 2010 8:10 am

Re: What films are on at the flicks

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9061779)
Anyone been to the cinema recently? Whats on and worth seeing? ANy recommendations- no girlie ones please?

Also can anyone recommend which cinema is the best to go to- went to MOE and nearly exploded due to the number of locals on phones the entire way through the film- is there anywhere a bit quieter? Preferably up my end of town (tecom). Also do you need to book?

no need to book, try the new cinemas at Marina Mall, handy to get too and I hear they are quiet. Not been to the movies in years, I have too much to watch on the telly! BUT I would like to see The Social Network :)

kittycat1 Dec 27th 2010 8:27 am

Thanks Bluecat- just having a look at their website only 6 screens- so have Tron (although never understood the first one), The Tourist (Johnny Depp- drool) or Little Fockers or life as we know it (looks a bit too chick flick to me). Any film critics seen any of those? I ma known for my bad taste in films so anyone elses opinions would be good- boys?

The Dean Dec 27th 2010 8:34 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9061801)
Thanks Bluecat- just having a look at their website only 6 screens- so have Tron (although never understood the first one), The Tourist (Johnny Depp- drool) or Little Fockers or life as we know it (looks a bit too chick flick to me). Any film critics seen any of those? I ma known for my bad taste in films so anyone elses opinions would be good- boys?

The Way Back is getting good-ish reviews..............

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1023114/

Blue Cat Dec 27th 2010 8:37 am

I would go for Little Fockers :thumbup:

Spugsy Dec 27th 2010 9:03 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9061779)

think me and the troulbe and astrife (christ you should have seen her on xmas day) are off to see Tron in 3D Imax, she doesn't want to but I'm going to make her AND buy me pick'n'mix.

Spugsy Dec 27th 2010 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9061789)
no need to book, try the new cinemas at Marina Mall, handy to get too and I hear they are quiet. Not been to the movies in years, I have too much to watch on the telly! BUT I would like to see The Social Network :)

they're great ones those, you get straight in, all new and clean and small - and carlucchios for pasta beforehand is reet canny like pet.

Blue Cat Dec 27th 2010 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9061833)
they're great ones those, you get straight in, all new and clean and small - and carlucchios for pasta beforehand is reet canny like pet.

aye sounds nice lad :)

Hello.Kitty Dec 27th 2010 9:28 am

went to see Tron yesterday, which was good

lionheart Dec 27th 2010 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9061789)

Quite frankly I couldn't imagine anything more boring than a film about the creation of Facebook, yawn, especially for the big screen. Might just be watchable on DVD in the comfort of the living room though.

Blue Cat Dec 27th 2010 10:03 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9061911)
Quite frankly I couldn't imagine anything more boring than a film about the creation of Facebook, yawn, especially for the big screen. Might just be watchable on DVD in the comfort of the living room though.

I might wait til it comes out on DVD actually :)

Autonomy Dec 27th 2010 11:25 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9061911)

I'm glad to say you're wrong on this... it zips along at a great pace, the writing, direction and acting is top rate.

If you want to put bets on the Oscars this year - this has a chance at Best Picture, Director and Screenplay (possibly acting nods, but I think Colin Firth will get Best Actor)

Madam Medusa Dec 27th 2010 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 9062000)
I'm glad to say you're wrong on this... it zips along at a great pace, the writing, direction and acting is top rate.

kinda agree, but unless you are remotely interested in zuckerberg, you don't really give a shit (although and you do find out that he was/is a shit as a person)...the only thing i found interesting was that the napster guy was involved, didn't know that (but i'm sure that was just cos i'm blonde) ...

MM, xx

Spugsy Dec 27th 2010 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 9061881)
went to see Tron yesterday, which was good

is that your review is it? 'good'?

Millhouse Dec 27th 2010 4:51 pm

I watched Garfield - Pet Force in 3D on Christmas Eve. Mini loved it - I wouldn't rush back (although we have since downloaded it...)

If you want to watch a film in peace go on Fridays before 1pm. I've done it a few times with mini and, at most, shared the cinema with 4 other people.