Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Are we in a bubble market?

Are we in a bubble market?

Old Oct 29th 2013, 11:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Are we in a bubble market?

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Why don't I do even better and move up north and commute? I hear you can get a 4-bedder in the Toon for under 100k....
4 bedder? You'll get a ****ing stadium and a bunch of 'footballers' for that AND get change.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 11:54 pm
N/A

Dumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Why don't I do even better and move up north and commute? I hear you can get a 4-bedder in the Toon for under 100k....

I suppose one of the benefits of the booming market is that it's pushed people into places like Shoreditch, Stoke Newington and Hackney and points further east, bringing rapid gentrification with them.

The other downside is that the working classes have been priced out of their old habitual neighbourhoods just as the middle classes are being priced out of their old habitual neighbourhoods and the merely rich out of Kensington. You're right, why cry for someone forced to buy in Hackney because he can't afford Islington, but at least he can still buy *something*. The real losers are the working/lower middle classes who simply cannot afford the kind of property they might have grown up in through the early 1990s as they simply can't afford to buy anything in London anymore.

What's also really quite remarkable is how rapidly London property prices have escalated. Certain boroughs are reporting a 30% year to year increase in the past year alone.
This is not limited to London, almost every major center around the world has the same problem. The rich get richer and the poor are cast aside and numbed with cheap drugs and alcohol.

What gets my goat a little is when someone complains about a place costing more than a million pounds. You have nothing to complain about. If you are sincere in your post above then you should go and live in East Ham and donate the 800k to several deserving families.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 11:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting..........

......... that when the OP asked about a 'bubble market', most people assumed he was talking about house prices. I suspect we are in for something much more dramatic, and much more broadly-based, and across a number of sectors, industries and asset types.........
Old Oct 30th 2013, 12:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Dumbo

What gets my goat a little is when someone complains about a place costing more than a million pounds. You have nothing to complain about. If you are sincere in your post above then you should go and live in East Ham and donate the 800k to several deserving families.
Is that what you would do?
Old Oct 30th 2013, 12:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Interesting..........

......... that when the OP asked about a 'bubble market', most people assumed he was talking about house prices. I suspect we are in for something much more dramatic, and much more broadly-based, and across a number of sectors, industries and asset types.........
I didn't Deano. I can't wait to see the commercial paper program go pop.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 12:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I think you'll find that Scampconomist introduced the thread to factor combinations...
Old Oct 30th 2013, 12:30 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Scamp
4 bedder? You'll get a ****ing stadium and a bunch of 'footballers' for that AND get change.
That's not gone unnoticed Southampton Shandy Drinker...
Old Oct 30th 2013, 1:11 am
N/A

Dumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Is that what you would do?
I wasn't moaning about what I could/couldn't buy for a million quid and then in the very next post say how bad it was for the poor people.

I do my bit, but no I wouldn't, I am far too busy brunching, and racking up huge debts, I reckon I can carry on for another month or two before my midnight flit.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 1:19 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dumbo
I wasn't moaning about what I could/couldn't buy for a million quid and then in the very next post say how bad it was for the poor people.

I do my bit, but no I wouldn't, I am far too busy brunching, and racking up huge debts, I reckon I can carry on for another month or two before my midnight flit.

As you were.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 1:48 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Might be a reason to ditch sterling and use euros. Right after the currency is devalued to eradicate the losses.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 2:18 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Just over a month ago Richard Buxton, the new chief of Old Mutual, went on record to say that he essentially thought markets (specifically the UK) were poised for a decade of strong returns averaging 7%. A number of other prominent investment folk agreed with him.

I have kept the article about this from The Times. I don't think everything is doom and gloom, but I did find their comments curious in that it's rare to find such positive comments from people in the industry when many are forecasting bad times to come.

Views on many Western investment markets are positive for the next year from most fund managers right now.

As with everything, time will tell.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 3:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Just over a month ago Richard Buxton, the new chief of Old Mutual, went on record to say that he essentially thought markets (specifically the UK) were poised for a decade of strong returns averaging 7%. A number of other prominent investment folk agreed with him.

I have kept the article about this from The Times. I don't think everything is doom and gloom, but I did find their comments curious in that it's rare to find such positive comments from people in the industry when many are forecasting bad times to come.

Views on many Western investment markets are positive for the next year from most fund managers right now.

As with everything, time will tell.
7% returns when interest rates are 1% or less will be challenging!
Old Oct 30th 2013, 10:08 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Are we in a bubble market?

Though essentially, inflation adjusted, wages in major developed countries have been falling for about a decade now and it's never bothered our economic outlook before.

Interesting thoughts on the QE effects on asset classes, however I'm not convinced central banks will stop or push rates without some inflation and with populations aging and everyone still playing the ZIRP game.